C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From a value standpoint, does NCRS Certification substantially help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 02:34 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by The13Bats

Like I said i removed something for the simply reason it offended some people,
If you have read any of my remarks on that subject you know I do not name call or down anyone, i like peace and camaraderie
I also boast I am into modded stuff yet respect the guys who want stock far more than most any of them have offer that same respect back at me...
Well the name callers are what gives threads like this a bad name.
Old 11-26-2015, 02:55 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Well the name callers are what gives threads like this a bad name.
Ok, my bad, I didnt know where that was coming from or if it was directed mistakenly at me,

I fully agree with all your comments in this thread however I also agree with lots of others, the OP asked about NCRS certification and does it help ( substantially ) value I tossed my "opinion" out on that but now your side subject, I fully get it, there was a time here that any slight mention of a mod or custom was bashed and trashed and the poster was ridiculed and belittled.

Trends changed more people like mods than stock now which can't be a happy trend for purists and in turn many die hard purists many which are NCRS guys are the ones feeling the bashing us modders got from them years back and still sometimes do.

News flash...the NCRS helps the hobby it doesn't hurt it and can't be blamed for how a member might act.

and sure in some cases some guys from either "camp" get all personal and call names and get all stupid, but it needs to go back to the grass roots of this hobby of"car crafting"
It doesn't matter if I like what you like the part that matters is we both like c3's and in the case of me and you we seem to offer that respect to each other....that is what many people miss the boat on...mutual respect.

We as corvette fans need to get along and not perpetuate the idea we are all "TACO's"

Last edited by The13Bats; 11-26-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:05 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

No comments directed to you just other people in general. What people need to realize in the last 40 years bone stock cars are always in style and the car people want. Custom ideas come and go and peoples tastes changes and never like others people ideas. A custom car that sold for a bunch of money years ago is just anther custom years ago On the other hand a restored TF car that sold years ago for a bunch of money will always keep its value and be sought after. What NCRS done to this hobby has taught us more about the car then you can imagine.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:39 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

No comments directed to you just other people in general. What people need to realize in the last 40 years bone stock cars are always in style and the car people want. Custom ideas come and go and peoples tastes changes and never like others people ideas. A custom car that sold for a bunch of money years ago is just anther custom years ago On the other hand a restored TF car that sold years ago for a bunch of money will always keep its value and be sought after. What NCRS done to this hobby has taught us more about the car then you can imagine.
I see it a bit differently, The stock car is not what ALL people want in fact my poll on here a few weeks back showed the most want mild mods....the base model stock cars are really not all that sought after or high dollar compared to their rare or well modded counterparts....I have seen some old ragged out customs fetching taller dollars than the same car stock would even in a little better shape.
while true customs reflect the tastes of the builder a buyer of a stock car that must keep it stock it stuck with settling for things they might not like or striving to find the stock car that is 100% to their liking,
People are buying the pre modded cars so they can make the car what they desire, no settling....and no, none of this is at all popular with purists but my poll on here didn't lie.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:45 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by The13Bats
I see it a bit differently, The stock car is not what ALL people want in fact my poll on here a few weeks back showed the most want mild mods....the base model stock cars are really not all that sought after or high dollar compared to their rare or well modded counterparts....I have seen some old ragged out customs fetching taller dollars than the same car stock would even in a little better shape.
while true customs reflect the tastes of the builder a buyer of a stock car that must keep it stock it stuck with settling for things they might not like or striving to find the stock car that is 100% to their liking,
People are buying the pre modded cars so they can make the car what they desire, no settling....and no, none of this is at all popular with purists but my poll on here didn't lie.
My problem is this forum is real small percentage of owners or buyers. I stand by my comment of stock cars being in style. The trends of today for customs cars will come to a end soon and something new will be all the craze
Old 11-26-2015, 04:01 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

My problem is this forum is real small percentage of owners or buyers. I stand by my comment of stock cars being in style. The trends of today for customs cars will come to a end soon and something new will be all the craze
Actually the forum is a great base line for vette owners who are into the hobby.
Had I ran my poll on the NCRS forum the results would have been more stock fans had I ran my poll on the modders forum it would have been all for mods but this forum is a great mix of all tastes and far more members than the other two forums I mentioned which would have been biased anyway.

I never said stock wasn't in style this really isn't about "style" it's what is most popular and stock isn't it, neither is radical mods but "modified" did win in the poll.
Stock will always have a fan base it's just smaller than fans of some modifications.

The new trend will not be going back to bone stock, sorry.
I fully agree that the custom trends will wax and wane but the modded c3 especially the 74-82 will way outnumber in popularity their stock counterparts and will continue to be the craze....I will stop believing that when I start seeing all the big dollar top end built 68-72 resto mods get returned to numbers matching NCRS award winning condition....

I feel we have high jacked this thread enough and since it's really going in a direction of opinions which can be never ending if you have more to add please lets go private as a courtesy to other members.

The13bats@aol.com
Old 11-26-2015, 07:39 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Whoa, lets get back to the OP's question. Enough has been said on who believes what with the NCRS. humor or no humor. What do we really think of value concerns with cars that meet the criteria when it comes down to value.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:48 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

A recent TF will help the value of a car. I say recent becouse as years go by the manuals get bigger and tougher to achieve
Old 11-26-2015, 07:58 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

An NCRS Performance Verification (PV) award would be worth a lot to me. Any car that passes that test is pretty special.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:07 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Zoomin
An NCRS Performance Verification (PV) award would be worth a lot to me. Any car that passes that test is pretty special.
Yes the PV is very prestigious award not to many cars make it. And it's very difficult.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:42 PM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

They said that very same thing, on delivery at the dealer!
Old 11-26-2015, 08:47 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by War Bonnet
They said that very same thing, on delivery at the dealer!
I would believe that. Any high option car I would cringe at the thought of attempting to go for that award.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:55 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by oldsarge
Whoa, lets get back to the OP's question. Enough has been said on who believes what with the NCRS. humor or no humor. What do we really think of value concerns with cars that meet the criteria when it comes down to value.

Only because YOU say so....

Huh?

The OP's question...I really believe that ncrs awards only adds value to the person who wants that type car and the value it adds will
vary person to person of course it will always be a good thing to have ncrs awards "IF" bone stock is how you like your c3 because if you want it stock it should be the best it can be.
plus it is a heck of a big bragging rights type thing, if that type thing is your cup o tea...
Old 11-27-2015, 01:47 PM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

True value..or perceived value?

Corvette buyers as a whole are discriminating buyers, they can appreciate the NCRS judging even if they don't go down that road. NCRS Corvettes have a certain "correctness" stigma attachment to them. This Numbers matching correctness is attractive to some buyers who are into having their cars judged, or considering doing so in the future.

As we know the majority of todays Corvette owners are leaning towards modifications, not necessarily extreme, but modified to some degree.

Considering that fact, would even a potential Corvette owner who intends to go the modifying route, still appreciate and value an NCRS judged car higher, then a non numbers matching car?..I think if being honest they would. Would they value/pay more for it?..debatable.

Corvette owners/potential owners have been so inundated with the whole "numbers matching" thing for so long, that the NCRS judged car will exemplify an original non-bubbasized car, therefore deemed a better value, how much still reverts back to each individual owner.

As an owner of a Corvette/s who is in to modifications, I still would prefer to start with a car that is an untouched/non-bubbasized candidate, therefore of greater value to me.
I would not however modify a NCRS highly judged optioned out rare Corvette, but I wouldn't buy one or create one either.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:24 AM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Just wondering.

Does a car make Top Flight or not make it?

For example could I put my ordinary slightly modified C3 through Top Flight and it would be "Certified" but at a low score? So I could say my car was Top Flight Certified? Or if it is so far off (Like my really nice repainted with family sentimental value C3) it would never make it to even be called "Top Flight Certified."

Do they say "Not Top Flight Certified?"
Old 11-28-2015, 08:40 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by minitech
Just wondering.

Does a car make Top Flight or not make it?

For example could I put my ordinary slightly modified C3 through Top Flight and it would be "Certified" but at a low score? So I could say my car was Top Flight Certified? Or if it is so far off (Like my really nice repainted with family sentimental value C3) it would never make it to even be called "Top Flight Certified."

Do they say "Not Top Flight Certified?"
There is a second, third and forth flight. But you still won't get it "certified" in any way shape or form. They will just tell you what's not typical of production and the condition of that car.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:59 AM
exposingtime
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by n8dogg
And like others mentioned, it then becomes a car you don't want to drive.
I drive my 69 all the time. It's a NCRS Duntov car, basically unrestored and still scored a 97%.
Most people unfamiliar with a car would pay for an inspector to look at it prior to purchase. Most of the items an inspector would be looking at are addressed during judging. The standard that they all use was set by the NCRS.

NCRS judging does not certify anything about a car. BG judging actually certifies the trim tag and engine block stamping to be original.

If you don't value originality, NCRS judging does not make a car worth any more, but there is no chance it makes it worth any less.

Gary

Get notified of new replies

To From a value standpoint, does NCRS Certification substantially help?

Old 11-28-2015, 10:19 AM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 402 Likes on 325 Posts

Does an NCRS certification substantially increase the value of a C3?

Depends on how you define value.

Here's an extreme example of where all the ribbons in the world wont increase the $$$$ value of a C3, but the car is very valuable to it's owner, he loves it.

This 77 parts car was a 1 owner rusted pile of parts. Its rally wheels were put back on along with a few little odds and ends. It was then NCRS judged. It brought home a red ribbon to the fellow I sold it to.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:24 AM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Originally Posted by John 65
Does an NCRS certification substantially increase the value of a C3?

Depends on how you define value.

Here's an extreme example of where all the ribbons in the world wont increase the $$$$ value of a C3, but the car is very valuable to it's owner, he loves it.

This 77 parts car was a 1 owner rusted pile of parts. Its rally wheels were put back on along with a few little odds and ends. It was then NCRS judged. It brought home a red ribbon to the fellow I sold it to.
I'm going to call on that.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:25 AM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 402 Likes on 325 Posts

I'm going to call on that.
I cant blame you.

Quick Reply: From a value standpoint, does NCRS Certification substantially help?