C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why aren't they using the New Technology?

Old 11-25-2015, 11:38 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Default Why aren't they using the New Technology?

I've noticed a pretty good sized increase in the complaints on how the interior parts fit in our C3's. Why? I've been giving this thought for quite some time and now, I'm going to put it out there.

Why don't the brand new (and expensive) interior parts don't fit?

1). Is it because they're using old parts that are warped, shrunk or otherwise deformed for templates?

2). Or is it because there are slight variations in the dimensions of the car itself?

For question 1, let's look at New Technology Aspect #1. With the ability to 3D print large parts, why aren't these companies, scanning a dashboard pad, CAD designing it, 3D printing it and test fitting it to a C3 shell? If it doesn't fit, then they could refine it, tweak it and redo it again, easily, before the first part is ever sold. They could design into the part, some 'give' to the fasteners, so it could align correctly as well.

In this article, they're printing a whole dashboard! The machine can print up to 58" wide! Why aren't they trying this out? We do this in Aerospace and we can print highly complex 3D parts, that are hollow and have really good rigidity. The SLA process is very cool. Go to 3:50 or so, to actually see a highly complex, complete dash, coming out of this machine. Why not us, with our weird, curvy and complex interiors?

http://www.deelip.com/?p=6872

Question #2. Variances in our C3's? Is it possible? With portable laser measuring systems, easily available, I wonder why nobody has taken a variety of C3 shells for any year and done a complete laser scan of the interior and come up with an 'average'? Scan ten 1968 C3 shells and see how far off, the measurements are for the dash attachment points and all the holes.

With a little built in 'give' to the production parts, I can't see any reason, that this can be done. They'll say 'it's too expensive', but it's a one time cost, that will help produce accurate parts, that fit well and for what we pay for these parts, why not?

Some links to ponder.

http://www.stratasys.com/3d-printers...objet1000-plus

http://3dprintingindustry.com/2014/1...s-3d-printing/

http://www.nikonmetrology.com/en_US/...round-scanning

http://www.laserdesign.com/products/...va-3d-scanner/

http://www.shapegrabber.com/sol-prod...s-prm330.shtml
Old 11-25-2015, 01:40 PM
Danish Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

Why make quality parts when you can make more money on selling junk?
Old 11-25-2015, 05:51 PM
GRAND SPORT GUY
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 237 Likes on 125 Posts

F22, interesting idea and thread, as I am contemplating replacing some of my interior as it IS 33 years old, regardless of miles.

Does this issue refer to ALL suppliers out there, or just some of them?

Are you able to name suppliers with questionable-quality and fit interior pieces?

Are you able to recommend suppliers who have high-quality interiors, regardless of price?

Thank You, and I hope your post is seen by suppliers and has them take this issue into account when designing / manufacturing pieces.

-Ray

Old 11-25-2015, 08:17 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

[QUOTE=Shark 82' CE;1590979834]F22, interesting idea and thread, as I am contemplating replacing some of my interior as it IS 33 years old, regardless of miles.

Does this issue refer to ALL suppliers out there, or just some of them?

Are you able to name suppliers with questionable-quality and fit interior pieces?

Are you able to recommend suppliers who have high-quality interiors, regardless of price?

Thank You, and I hope your post is seen by suppliers and has them take this issue into account when designing / manufacturing pieces.

-Ray

I can't say, Ray, as I'm only referring to the numerous posts lately, about poor fitting parts and you'll have to reference them, for the sources. I hope the suppliers see it too. Except for the carpet, seat foam and seat covers, everything in my C3 is refurbished, with minor defects all over, but presentable, even with patina.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:45 AM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

Its not just the fit, but the dye color match from one part to another. In my case, I ordered an all new front half of the interior. The roof panels do not exactly match the center t pad. The new console does not exactly match the new dash pads, the small console side panels dont match the console. Need I go on? I purposely ordered from the same vendor when doing the interior so that this wouldnt be a problem. It is what it is. But it shouldnt be.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:29 AM
ballen06
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 69 Posts

Default In order to stay positive

If folks are reluctant to call out the vendors who sell non-fitting or discolored interior parts how about calling out the ones who sell quality parts. I believe it would be a service to all of us who are considering restoring their interior.

It's a real pain to receive a part purchased through the internet only to find out it doesn't fit or has color issues. So what do you do?? Return and pay for the shipping the garbage back.. IF they accept returns.. Or just accept the garbage..What a pain.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:00 AM
2TONE82
Melting Slicks

Received 310 Likes on 133 Posts

All of this is why I cherish my original unrestored car...and she's the baby off the C3s at only 33 years old.

Really makes you appreciate what they did with limited technology back in the day...although fit and finish was, well, not so great.

I am beginning to ponder, should I pick up some C5 parts for our other car now? Maybe focus on the Z06 Z16 specific? I already have an extra set of stripes in the top of a closent.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:39 AM
530planeman
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by F22
I've noticed a pretty good sized increase in the complaints on how the interior parts fit in our C3's. Why? I've been giving this thought for quite some time and now, I'm going to put it out there.

Why don't the brand new (and expensive) interior parts don't fit?

1). Is it because they're using old parts that are warped, shrunk or otherwise deformed for templates?

2). Or is it because there are slight variations in the dimensions of the car itself?

For question 1, let's look at New Technology Aspect #1. With the ability to 3D print large parts, why aren't these companies, scanning a dashboard pad, CAD designing it, 3D printing it and test fitting it to a C3 shell? If it doesn't fit, then they could refine it, tweak it and redo it again, easily, before the first part is ever sold. They could design into the part, some 'give' to the fasteners, so it could align correctly as well.

In this article, they're printing a whole dashboard! The machine can print up to 58" wide! Why aren't they trying this out? We do this in Aerospace and we can print highly complex 3D parts, that are hollow and have really good rigidity. The SLA process is very cool. Go to 3:50 or so, to actually see a highly complex, complete dash, coming out of this machine. Why not us, with our weird, curvy and complex interiors?

http://www.deelip.com/?p=6872

Question #2. Variances in our C3's? Is it possible? With portable laser measuring systems, easily available, I wonder why nobody has taken a variety of C3 shells for any year and done a complete laser scan of the interior and come up with an 'average'? Scan ten 1968 C3 shells and see how far off, the measurements are for the dash attachment points and all the holes.

With a little built in 'give' to the production parts, I can't see any reason, that this can be done. They'll say 'it's too expensive', but it's a one time cost, that will help produce accurate parts, that fit well and for what we pay for these parts, why not?

Some links to ponder.

http://www.stratasys.com/3d-printers...objet1000-plus

http://3dprintingindustry.com/2014/1...s-3d-printing/

http://www.nikonmetrology.com/en_US/...round-scanning

http://www.laserdesign.com/products/...va-3d-scanner/

http://www.shapegrabber.com/sol-prod...s-prm330.shtml
I have owned quiet a few C3's and I think most of the problem is that they were not consistent in size from the beginning and the big factor in what you are asking the vender to do is COCT COST Cost . Most of us just cut ,trim ,bend ,shape fill sand fill and paint until it fits like we like it
Old 11-26-2015, 08:54 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,339 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Just my $0.02 worth.....

While today, technology has made it possible, where cost isn't a huge deal, to make parts that are within 0.00002" of the design spec, the C-3 platform was built when parts could only be made within 0.010". So, there are large variations, from car to car.

IMHO, it's truly amazing that the cars were assembled as well as they were. Look at the panel fit on a C-3, compared to a C-5. My wife owned two C-3s before we got married, and I now own a C-5. The difference between the two, in terms of part fit, is VERY noticeable. Both of her C-3s were bought brand new, never wrecked, but door fit was poor, paint was marginal, you guys know that........
Old 11-27-2015, 04:35 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

i may be the latest to have rant and raved against the fit of at least dash panels. Due to the poor fit and my frustration it has now cost me a center gauge bezel, that Ernie is selling me for what I believe is cost. I've talked with Ernie, whom was the vendor), and after trying a couple of things he came up with an alternative that if he wishes to chime in I'll let him tell you. I can and will say that the lower dash pads where they screw into the upper dash pads don't match and there's no leeway built into the upper pad move the U nut (I think that's what it's called), left or right to match. Also there's some extra material on the lower dash pads that make fitting, or pulling in the upper part of the dash pad so it fits like factory impossible without grinding/filling off that material. What I thought would be at the most a one month job has turned into a 3 plus month job and the car is still not together, with lots more work and possibly frustration to go... I hope that all made sense, I'm working on my second cup of coffee
Old 11-27-2015, 12:02 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,114 Likes on 725 Posts

I wonder how much has to do with materials used today vs. yesterday. My own personal experience is with the T-top headliners (and a few other things). Tossed my originals which were a little ratty and bought some PVC replacements. They were not flexible enough to hook up to the little plastic grabbers no matter how much heat gun reshaping I applied. I'd be sitting at a stop light and they'd pop off and fall down on my head. So not cool when the guy beside you at the light sees that!!!

The originals were some kind of cloth/burlap material and had just the right flexibility to stay put. Went in the dumpster. Aaaargh.

Fortunately all my other interior parts are original and I would refurbish everything as needed or find good used rather than replace.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:58 AM
Tommy79
Burning Brakes

Received 327 Likes on 215 Posts

I replaced by my carpet and door panels... The carpet was a very poor fit and the door panels looked great, but required a lot of work to fit and install.

If I was to do it again.. I would pay a shop to re-do my factory door panels and get quality carpet installed.

Get notified of new replies

To Why aren't they using the New Technology?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why aren't they using the New Technology?