Sponsored by:

Hand Tools

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 11:17 AM
news2me
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Hand Tools

I have been using Craftsman Tools for my whole life and I have been more then happy with them. I want to add on to my set. Last year Harbor Freight opened a store near me. I won't go near there power tools, I heard there bad news. But, how are there hand tools, I'm not a Pro. I'm just a shade tree guy tooling around my own cars. Have any of you guys ever played, with there hand tools. Are they junk, should I pay a few bucks more and stay with Craftsman...
Old 11-27-2015, 11:26 AM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

I can't comment on Harbor Freight tools. I do not trust cheap tools. They break and usually take your skin with it as it comes apart. If they don't break, they will destroy the fastener that you are trying to remove. I liked Snapon, but they priced themselves out of my pockets. Craftsman has always been a good tool. You can also find some older Craftsman tools on Craig's List or local garage sales. Their lifetime warranty can't be beat. Even Craftsman tape measures are warranted for life.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:54 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by news2me
I have been using Craftsman Tools for my whole life and I have been more then happy with them. I want to add on to my set. Last year Harbor Freight opened a store near me. I won't go near there power tools, I heard there bad news. But, how are there hand tools, I'm not a Pro. I'm just a shade tree guy tooling around my own cars. Have any of you guys ever played, with there hand tools. Are they junk, should I pay a few bucks more and stay with Craftsman...
No, not all of it is junk. China will make, whatever you want. You want junk, we'll make junk. You want quality, we can do that too. Example, HK or Heckler and Koch, the famous gun manufacturer. Their knives are made in China, very high quality.

The entry level Craftsman tools you get in the sets, is pretty rough looking these days, especially the wrenches and the socket handles. I dislike the 3/8 drive and 1/4 drive Craftsman entry level handles. Now if you spring for the better ones, on the aisle, then it looks pretty darn good.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:59 AM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I have some HF tools at my father's house for general use. At home I have mostly Snap-On, but for full disclosure, I inherited most of them from my older brother. He ran Comprehensive Mechanics in Santa Cruz, CA. He passed away at 44 from cancer. He left me his hand tools. Probably worth $20K including the boxes.
I love Craftsman for the home mechanic. I have heard the newer ones' quality has slipped; I have no 1st hand experience with them.
If your budget at all affords it, a basic Snap-On socket set would be a prized possession and a joy to use.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:16 PM
SinfulC3
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

#1 broken tool in my garage.... 3/8 Craftsman Socket Wrench.
If I only break 1 per year, it was a good year. Actually I have one on my desk right now that needs turned in for a replacement.
It's always the drive gears inside that are the issue. Not all are broken with a cheater bar attached.

Then I have an ol Stanley Set that was bought 10 years ago from wally world. That ratchet is what gets pulled out to finish the job when the Craftsman fails
Old 11-27-2015, 12:28 PM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 797 Likes on 447 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I am a die hard user of early Craftsman tools.
I have wrenches from the 70's when I started tinkering.
Now that I have a little more surplus $, I'll buy a set of snap on
wrenches or a Snap On/MAC tool off Craigslist.
Sometimes a hardship forces these sales and I'll buy them.
Otherwise Craftsman have served this shade tree mecahnic
just fine.
I have used, misused, and found new ways to use these wrenches
and they all have held up & performed well.
Unless I was sponsered by a garage or race team I could not afford the Snap On or MAC Tool names new.
Marshal
Old 11-27-2015, 12:30 PM
Dirty Dalton
Drifting

Received 776 Likes on 479 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I needed some screwdrivers the other day, was dismayed to see that the 'base' 1/4" drive ratchet was made in China. The 'fancier' one was made in Taiwan. The screwdrivers - made in USA.

PS: I've just had to exchange some Snap-On screwdrivers as the handles were splitting apart. Now my nice set of screwdrivers has become a mongrel set.

Last edited by Dirty Dalton; 11-27-2015 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:57 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
I too could just afford Craftsman tools when I was younger.
Then in 1972 I got married and was pleased to learn that one of my wife's uncles was a Snap-On dealer.
So I have some nice Snap-On tools too. Christmas even came DURING the year a few times!
I've been able to break a couple of Craftsman pieces over the years but not the Snap-On.
Regards,
Alan
Old 11-27-2015, 01:28 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi,
I too could just afford Craftsman tools when I was younger.
Then in 1972 I got married and was pleased to learn that one of my wife's uncles was a Snap-On dealer.
So I have some nice Snap-On tools too. Christmas even came DURING the year a few times!
I've been able to break a couple of Craftsman pieces over the years but not the Snap-On.
Regards,
Alan

Pretty close to my own story Alan.

Started off years ago with Craftsman and graduated to Snap On as funds permitted... Now the Craftsman tools are pretty much relegated to disassembly and the Snap On to reassembly.

The hand tools that I buy from Harbor Freight (typically pliers and screwdrivers) are used in a destructive environment like the blast cabinet where I know the tool is going to be trashed.

Regards,

Stan Falenski
Old 11-27-2015, 01:38 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

HF is good enough, I buy their stuff all the time.... bought a 3/8 ratchet the other day, didn't notice it was from HF when I did my oil change, heater core replacement, alt upgrade, e-fan upgrade, braided steel brake lines, door lock reconditioning, window alignment, tuner install, led gauge light install, tail shaft speedo housing leak, lock up switch r and r, visor delete, fuel pump to 1982 mod,valve cover gaskets, etc,etc,etc just didn't notice....save your bucks imo

Last edited by slickfx3; 11-27-2015 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:13 PM
Mewn
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

There is no doubt about the quality of Snap-On but the prices make me run the other way!

Imo the quality of Craftsman tools went downhill for years then fell off a cliff. However the Craftsman 299 piece easy to read socket set is the only full set of 6 and 12 point 1/4"- 1/2" sockets for the price ($1.70 per socket) that I know of. Problem is they arrive rusted, peeling and warn down from being shipped loose in a bag together, not separated.
I 100% agree Harbor Freight has some amazing deals, and also deals in junk. The Pittsburgh Tools brand is a decent low budget hand tool.
I just got some Tekton impact sockets. Very nice tools for the money.
Stanley makes some decent budget hand tools also.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:29 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

I like matco and kobalt.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:40 PM
homestead
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I have a lot of Snap On tools that I bought when I got into the trade in the 80s. Since then they have changed the script on their tools a few times so when they break(and they do break!) nothing matches which totally Pi$$e$ me off (yes I have some ocd going on). One day I plan on scouring ebay and try finding the proper ones to round out my sets again. I try not to buy from them anymore because of their prices and having to wait for them to show up at the shop which is about once every two weeks. I have been getting good service out of Husky brand from Home Depot. I know its Chinese but if I need something replaced I just go and get a new one and there`s no waiting. Just my 2 cents.....
Old 11-27-2015, 03:48 PM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts

I have always preferred Craftsman and I still do to this day. You cannot beat the warranty. The quality of their cheaper stuff (especially some of the ratchets) is noticeably inferior to what I would buy 15-20 years ago though. I have a few Snap-On pieces that I inherited or found in the local junkyard (amazing what you used to find in cars!) and they have done well. Both Stanley and Kobalt have been solid tools as well.

The Harbor Freight stuff is alright but the quality varies. What I have done (and still do) is get them for my 6 year old son to have his own tools. It's a good way to get your kid into his own tools with out paying a fortune. As for their 'freebies' the screwdrivers and tape measure are not bad, the multi-meter is fairly accurate (and takes a harder beating that you might think), the tarp is cheap and makes for a better drop cloth of sorts, the flashlights are hit or miss, the adjustable clamps are decent even though the pads come off easy and the scissors have cheap plastic handles that break if you look hard enough at 'em.

Later,

Lee

Last edited by KYC4; 11-27-2015 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:06 PM
C3Hawk
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There was a similar thread a few months back.
My thoughts (for what they're worth):

1. You need a certain level of quality. If it does not say "lifetime warranty" on them, do not consider buying them.
2. Many brands can be used (I.e. Craftsman, Cobalt, Husky,etc.) but as mentioned before they can have different levels of quality within that brand.
3. I love old Snap-on tools too but if I had a full set I couldn't afford a car.
4. I have paid the big bucks for one or two individual Snap-on wrenches because they (the 5/16" for example) are able to be built less "chunky" (big) as other brands so they fit in tight spaces like around the header bolts where other brands don't.
5. So sometimes you have to pay the big bucks, other times just decent bucks!
The following users liked this post:
KYC4 (11-27-2015)
Old 11-27-2015, 05:39 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Advance Auto has a nice deal this month on an 8 piece reversible Gear Wrench set (5/16-3/4) in SAE or metric for $30, I bought the SAE set.
DUB (11-27-2015)
Old 11-27-2015, 06:46 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I have a high majority of Snap-On due to needing them every day...but I also have MAC and MATCO...but I have a little bit of every tool manufacturer you can think of....and the SICK thing is that IF I need to make a special bent / modified tool...I will grab whatever I can use for that purpose and modify it and NOT think twice about it....regardless of who made the tool. AND then replace it when the tool truck comes by or when I am out.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Hand Tools

Old 11-27-2015, 06:50 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

i got some chitty tools/ sockets i didn't even know where it came from over the years, I beat on everything

still have my first socket set from pep boys decades and decades ago, early 70's, still using it
Old 11-27-2015, 09:12 PM
dtamustang
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

i made my living for a lot of years with snap on and mac tools. if you are trying to survive twisting wrenches , get the very best you can afford. when I started , all I could afford was craftsman and came to appreciate the durability, quality and feel of snap on and mac.
for someone that dabbles around in the garage , snap on and mac are a waste of money. in my opinion , get the cheapest thing that will do the job , if you have to beat on it with a hammer or heat a wrench up and bend it in to a pretzel its an easy thing to do to cheap tools. harbor freight stuff is cheap enough that even if its mostly junk you have a good supply of sacrificial tools . I have so many oddball sockets that I have cut and welded who knows what to ,and bent up wrenches and screwdrivers , I don't remember what most of them were made for. but at the time it was necessary. sometimes cheap tools are the best for the job at hand
Old 11-27-2015, 09:31 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

I bought the second largest Craftsman set in the Sears catalog way back in 1967 (48 years ago ). Have only broken a couple of screwdrivers over the years. But I did lose a few wrenches. Did find out that when replacing them you need to pay attention to the part number stamped on them so you can get the right series and quality.

Tom...

Last edited by Tom73; 11-27-2015 at 09:33 PM.
KYC4 (11-28-2015)

Quick Reply: Hand Tools