Sponsored by:

Valve seals on small block heads

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 12:48 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Default Valve seals on small block heads

Looking for opinions from the engine gearheads on the preferred valve seals to use on the chevy small block. They offer the standard o-ring seals that came from the factory and they also offer the umbrella seals. I have used both at some point or another either by themselves or installing the o-ring seals along with the umbrella seals on an older engine that had a little more wear. I just bought a period correct engine for my 72 Corvette with only less than 50k. original miles but it was taken out of the original car over ten years ago and been sitting in storage so I'm freshening it up with new standard bore rings and all new seals and gaskets . At this point I'm trying to decide if I am going to just replace the valve seals with the stock o-ring seals or just the umbrella seals and leave the o-ring seals out. Or use both. What do you think ? Opinions welcome.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:10 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

umbrella seals
Old 11-28-2015, 02:45 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 358 Likes on 248 Posts

I used both when I did mine.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:39 PM
sandy laker
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd install a set of Viton umbrella valve stem seals along with a new set of Z28 valve springs. Your engine will thank you.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:51 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Honestly...knowing that your engine is a stock configuration. As the previous replies have shown...there are different opinions.

I generally put the 'o' rings back in as designed. and if allowed...I will put the plastic umbrella on it also. https://www.goodson.com/images/P/8563781.jpg

I do not beat these down onto the valve guide area. But that is just me.
http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/...E~G/s-l225.jpg

But in most cases...due to the engines I work on have so many miles on them. The 'o' rings work and last for a long time because with the cylinder heads still being on the engine...there is no way of detecting on the amount of valve guide wear. ( Sorry...I am not an engine builder with the ability to know how it 'feels'.)

I do know...which more than likely does not apply in this scenario (due to valve lift and valve spring design)....that if using a different design of seal that is not made to lock onto the valve stem correctly...this type of seal can cause for problems when the valve spring is compressing and allowing the keepers to come out.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
TNT (11-29-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 09:11 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DUB
Honestly...knowing that your engine is a stock configuration. As the previous replies have shown...there are different opinions.

I generally put the 'o' rings back in as designed. and if allowed...I will put the plastic umbrella on it also. https://www.goodson.com/images/P/8563781.jpg

I do not beat these down onto the valve guide area. But that is just me.
http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/...E~G/s-l225.jpg

But in most cases...due to the engines I work on have so many miles on them. The 'o' rings work and last for a long time because with the cylinder heads still being on the engine...there is no way of detecting on the amount of valve guide wear. ( Sorry...I am not an engine builder with the ability to know how it 'feels'.)

I do know...which more than likely does not apply in this scenario (due to valve lift and valve spring design)....that if using a different design of seal that is not made to lock onto the valve stem correctly...this type of seal can cause for problems when the valve spring is compressing and allowing the keepers to come out.

DUB
I agree with you DUB. When I use both the stock o-ring seals and the umbrella type I leave the umbrella's at the top of the stems right under the keepers instead of driving them down over the valve guides as they were designed to do. Just a little more assurance . I'm just trying to decide whether I need both type of seals on a low miles engine or if it is overkill . I'll probably just throw them both on.
The following users liked this post:
TNT (11-29-2015)
Old 11-29-2015, 07:38 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,287 Likes on 3,918 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

My experiences lately for things in general, if you're thinking of doing it, its best to do it. When I didnt follow that little tickle of intuition its bitten me in the ***. Just my 2 cents
Old 11-29-2015, 08:47 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by gjohnson
I used both when I did mine.
Me too.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:08 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 358 Likes on 248 Posts

Non locking umbrellas are made to position themselves up over the valve guides,like an umbrella.When you install them they go over the guide. When the valve opens then closes for the first time it stays in the position on the stem that it slid to which is above the guide.

Last edited by gjohnson; 11-29-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:05 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gjohnson
Non locking umbrellas are made to position themselves up over the valve guides,like an umbrella.When you install them they go over the guide. When the valve opens then closes for the first time it stays in the position on the stem that it slid to which is above the guide.
Some of the early design umbrella seals had metal rings around them to hold them down on the valve guides . I don't see those much anymore. Most are just rubber with no metal attached which adjust themselves like you described.

Get notified of new replies

To Valve seals on small block heads

Quick Reply: Valve seals on small block heads