Sponsored by:

It arrived! Corvette stablemate

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 03:54 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Top notch work as always Gordon, any chance of getting a sneak peak of the new wheels? Going with Halibrand's?
Old 01-19-2016, 04:23 PM
2turbocobra
Racer

Received 301 Likes on 131 Posts

that fuel injection just looks right!
Old 01-19-2016, 06:50 PM
bkvette3
Safety Car

Received 93 Likes on 82 Posts

OK - I'll be honest - I am jealous. Enjoy!!!
Old 01-19-2016, 11:06 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Here is a crappy picture of it up on the lift with the 72 under it. Taken yesterday evening. I'll get some better ones when the weather allows. We are quite cold for here and expecting snow Friday. Wheels have no lug covers or spinners on them.

Last edited by Gordonm; 01-19-2016 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:16 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,218 Likes on 1,730 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Gordonm
Starting the fuel injection install.

WOW- that engine bay look great!!!

The brake/clutch reservoirs - nice detail!!!

But wait a minute...is the engine in backwards? Why's the dizzy on the front of the engine?
Old 01-20-2016, 06:29 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Originally Posted by Richard454
WOW- that engine bay look great!!!

The brake/clutch reservoirs - nice detail!!!

But wait a minute...is the engine in backwards? Why's the dizzy on the front of the engine?
I can't take credit for all of it as it was a partial build when I bought it but I am upgrading quite a few items. The distributor is up front because it's easier to work on there. Took a little work to get it there but it's working good in that spot for some reason.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:32 PM
mooncricket
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just a quick update. I got the cam back in and got it running just to make sure it is all working. Now it's back apart somewhat. Starting the fuel injection install.

No turning back now. New plug wires, I have all the fuel lines pulled out and am replacing them with the correct ones. I have the Ecm next to the passenger seat and running the wires in the tunnel up to the motor and sensors. Takes some thinking and rewiring to get it all to fit. The cobra is a small car, putting 10 lbs of poo in a 5 lb bag. It's coming together. Lots of rewiring and getting it all right.

Had to get new front brakes in order to clear the new wheels. Big guys.

Also everyone needs a set of custom billit door hinges. The doors are flyweight but the stock hinges look terrible. These will work nicely.

Holy crap I'm so getting one of these started as soon as I get some other projects finished... How did you ever make out with the NJMVC getting it titled? Did you get that far yet? This looks great under the hood, very clean and orderly. I love that EFI.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:53 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

I was expecting a real fight with this. The car had been registered in Florida as a 65 so I brought all the paperwork into DMV. I went at an off time and went through no problem. The guy asked me is this a daily driver. I said nope maybe 1 to 2K miles. He said why not get the QQ plates. I said I did not think I could get them Immediatly. He told me the way to do it and I have to go to a certain DMV but I will try. The guys on the Factory Five forum said there is a red flag for FF cars. I can try but it does have plates as a 65 Factory five roadster.

Just an update I am redoing quite a bit of wiring also. Changing some of the dash and console panels. Should clean up wiring and look better. It is time consuming though.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:42 AM
mooncricket
Pro

I was expecting a real fight with this. The car had been registered in Florida as a 65 so I brought all the paperwork into DMV. I went at an off time and went through no problem. The guy asked me is this a daily driver. I said nope maybe 1 to 2K miles. He said why not get the QQ plates. I said I did not think I could get them Immediatly. He told me the way to do it and I have to go to a certain DMV but I will try. The guys on the Factory Five forum said there is a red flag for FF cars. I can try but it does have plates as a 65 Factory five roadster.

Just an update I am redoing quite a bit of wiring also. Changing some of the dash and console panels. Should clean up wiring and look better. It is time consuming though.
Thanks. I'm convinced, I think I'm slowly going to start shopping around for one and see what I can find already assembled, instead of taking the long (and expensive) road of building one. I just have to find one built with the deeper footwells and seat for a tall guy since I'm 6'2", but I think a lot of guys build them that way already.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:48 AM
2turbocobra
Racer

Received 301 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by mooncricket
Thanks. I'm convinced, I think I'm slowly going to start shopping around for one and see what I can find already assembled, instead of taking the long (and expensive) road of building one. I just have to find one built with the deeper footwells and seat for a tall guy since I'm 6'2", but I think a lot of guys build them that way already.
certainly something to check but the dropped footwells came standard pretty early on. they had some revisions the Mark 1 was the original no drop box. Mine it a mark 2 so it came with the dropped box but later ones came with the dropped box and a steel roll bar to protect the dropped portion.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:15 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Mine was actually started to be built by a guy who was 6'2" tall. He fit in fine. I do have the dropped foot boxes, mine is a Mark 3 car. He had 18 inch Kirkey seats also and bolted them I. To the floor far back. Me being only5'7" needed something different. I went with 16 wide Kirkey and bolted down the passenger seat and used sliders for the drivers side. All works well and a tall person could drive mine now, not that I would allow to many people to drive it though. By having it slide will make it easier to get out of also. Not the easiest car to get in and out of. And when the pipes are hot! Watch out!
Old 01-30-2016, 07:48 AM
mooncricket
Pro

Thanks for the info, I think I have a little more confidence that I can find one I can fit into knowing the chronology of the footbox on the FF's. I had originally thought building my own car would be necessary to make sure I could build it to fit my tall frame, but seems like that might not be the case if I shop around enough. There is a cobra (non FF) in a used car dealer showroom near me and I couldn't even get my legs under the dash, but it was a big block car with a 390 FE motor so they probably had to sacrifice leg room for the bigger motor.

Buying a complete car is a better situation with the wife then buying a kit, ironically. If she sees it roll in the driveway a completed car it's much better than a bunch of parts over a few months time. Also I think it's cheaper to buy a finished car if you get the right deal on the right car.

One more question about your car, is that a power steering pump I see?
Old 01-30-2016, 12:28 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Thanks for the info, I think I have a little more confidence that I can find one I can fit into knowing the chronology of the footbox on the FF's. I had originally thought building my own car would be necessary to make sure I could build it to fit my tall frame, but seems like that might not be the case if I shop around enough. There is a cobra (non FF) in a used car dealer showroom near me and I couldn't even get my legs under the dash, but it was a big block car with a 390 FE motor so they probably had to sacrifice leg room for the bigger motor.

Buying a complete car is a better situation with the wife then buying a kit, ironically. If she sees it roll in the driveway a completed car it's much better than a bunch of parts over a few months time. Also I think it's cheaper to buy a finished car if you get the right deal on the right car.

One more question about your car, is that a power steering pump I see?
You are right about buying a completed car for sure. I maybe should have shopped for one more complete and I actually had one but was a day late getting there. Oh well. This one had all the good stuff I wanted so I paid a little more than I probably had planned on.
Yes it is power steering. Most of the guys who have built more than one always put in power steering on the future builds. It is a light car and does not need it but if you can why not. Little easier in a parking lot. Heck some guys put in heat and even AC.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:19 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

I have gotten quite a bit further along in the build now. The body was taken off and I went out with it to the painter and spent a few days doing the grunt work of sanding down the seams and getting the rough work done. It was a real learning experience. I am picking the body up this week as it is in epoxy primer with all the really rough stuff done. Here it is right before heading to the body shop with the seams filled with HSRF. Nasty stuff!

The new dash layout. Put everything on the dash and will go with a blank console. This will be nice to on occasion put the screen for the EZ efi on so I can see it while driving.

And the needed picture with the Vette. Went go carting with it around the neighborhood. Just rediculous power

A little video of it being fired up

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/72re...91091346749272

Last edited by Gordonm; 04-09-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:32 AM
High Altitude Vette
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Project is right!
Seen this at the last BelAir gathering, realy nice. A little inspiration..but you don't need it!
Gary

I have gotten quite a bit further along in the build now. The body was taken off and I went out with it to the painter and spent a few days doing the grunt work of sanding down the seams and getting the rough work done. It was a real learning experience. I am picking the body up this week as it is in epoxy primer with all the really rough stuff done. Here it is right before heading to the body shop with the seams filled with HSRF. Nasty stuff!
Old 04-11-2016, 12:40 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Very nice project Gordon! I've been wanting to build a FF GTM. One of these days...
Old 05-03-2016, 09:22 AM
wb003
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's funny how a car that just kicked Corvette butt in the 60s, is now so loved...and respected by vette owners.

Gordon, that is a heck of a "go kart" that you have there! Let us know if you take her to a track day!!

Get notified of new replies

To It arrived! Corvette stablemate

Old 05-03-2016, 11:52 AM
ted13b
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This was my FFR that I sold to get my Vette, FFR3619k. Great fun building, but I got caught out in the rain once too often and decided to get something with a top!
Attached Images  

Last edited by ted13b; 05-03-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:57 PM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Old 05-03-2016, 06:10 PM
skytop
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A piece of suicidal plastic fake Cobra. How novel.

Quick Reply: It arrived! Corvette stablemate