Sponsored by:

Priya's 79 chrome bumper conversion project

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 12:04 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by RBrid
Impressive accomplishment with that purple SX/4 Priya. Good luck with your new project!
Thanks. Its my pride and joy. I imagine I'll feel the same way about my Corvette when its done.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:36 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,175 Likes on 2,737 Posts

R A T S !!!

You are ALREADY ahead of me.............................

(Just picking!)

Keep up the good work while I get my act together!

The following users liked this post:
AllC34Me (10-31-2020)
Old 12-03-2015, 10:23 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

LOL Doorgunner, I'm a long, long ways away from ahead of you!
Old 12-03-2015, 01:02 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by dtamustang
glasworks makes them , found them on facebook.
Do they have a website - pretty sure it's OK to list here...
Old 12-03-2015, 02:08 PM
dtamustang
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

i have it on good authority that glasworks has no website. facebook is pretty much it for now.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:25 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Priya
I'm going to do the fiberglass repairs around the tail light panel and glass in the exhaust filler panel first, then when it comes time to repair the cracks in the wheel well lips I'll lay the clip down in its normal position and prop it up where the suspension points would if they were there.

I'm a bit nervous about having the clip stripped to bare glass as based on my history it could be that way for several months. If I remember correctly its a good idea to spray it with an epoxy primer once its down to bare glass to help protect it from contamination.
Obviously you can use what ever sandpaper you feel more comfortable with.

AS for having an exposed fiberglass panel I have them exposed for a long time in my shop but I can control the environment. And if I have a concern... I can cover it in a plastic car cover bag that I get from the paint supplier.

Question for you Dub:

I was originally planning to remove the rear quarters from my 79 and seperate the rear quarters from the 69 rear clip at the bonding seams and make a cut along the top just behind the gas tank filler and then bond the 69 quarters and rear 8 inches or so of the 69 rear clip to my 79 and then glass in the join on the top edge. I understand that making joins at the wheel well lips can be prone to cracking and I'm nervous about getting the 69 rear quarters as straight as I'd like so I'm wondering if you would recommend going with my original plan or if I should just cut off the 69 rear clip just ahead of the rear wheel well opening and graft that to my 79 as shown in the picture below?
[/QUOTE]

In the photo above is very DO-ABLE. It depends IF you want the current factory back glass or you want to change all of it so the vertical glass can be used.

As for the cracks that you currently have in the wheel well lips on the used clip. Repairing them so when you feel the underside of your repair is REALLY FUN to get it so you can NOT feel the repair. SO...it depends if being able to feel a repair or bonding area is a major concern of yours or not. Personally...I can not live with it. I have to get repairs where I can not feel a bump or low spot or anything at all. But I am neurotic about that type of stuff.

AS for using the full quarters on your used clip or sectioning them in....you still have to deal with a panel with cracks in the wheel well lip area or areas. SO...I am 'on the fence' on that one and the ONLY thing that would sway my decision is that the SMC quarters of your car now are actually stringer than the press-molded polyester fiberglass quarters of your used clip. SO..On a structural aspect...the SMC is stronger ( in my opinion)...and that might push my decision to try to maintain as much of the factory panels as possible for this conversion.

ALSO...an important factor is that you are aware that the 1969 quarter panels do not have that molded in flare at bottom of the quarter. SO...this means that the splash shield would have to be taken with the full quarter if you do that....or cutting and laminating the factory one to get the quarter to be able to be bonded. It all depends on what you want the final look to look like.

I hope this answered your concerns...and if not...respond as you see fit.

DUB
Priya (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 06:03 PM
vannmike
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VETFEVER
What if you converted it to this instead. It'll match the front end of your car.
What kind of conversion is this?
Old 12-05-2015, 06:14 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DUB
In the photo above is very DO-ABLE. It depends IF you want the current factory back glass or you want to change all of it so the vertical glass can be used.

As for the cracks that you currently have in the wheel well lips on the used clip. Repairing them so when you feel the underside of your repair is REALLY FUN to get it so you can NOT feel the repair. SO...it depends if being able to feel a repair or bonding area is a major concern of yours or not. Personally...I can not live with it. I have to get repairs where I can not feel a bump or low spot or anything at all. But I am neurotic about that type of stuff.

AS for using the full quarters on your used clip or sectioning them in....you still have to deal with a panel with cracks in the wheel well lip area or areas. SO...I am 'on the fence' on that one and the ONLY thing that would sway my decision is that the SMC quarters of your car now are actually stringer than the press-molded polyester fiberglass quarters of your used clip. SO..On a structural aspect...the SMC is stronger ( in my opinion)...and that might push my decision to try to maintain as much of the factory panels as possible for this conversion.

ALSO...an important factor is that you are aware that the 1969 quarter panels do not have that molded in flare at bottom of the quarter. SO...this means that the splash shield would have to be taken with the full quarter if you do that....or cutting and laminating the factory one to get the quarter to be able to be bonded. It all depends on what you want the final look to look like.

DUB
It doesn't matter to me if the crack repair can be felt on the underside of the wheel well. I'm indifferent on whether or not I have the flare at the bottom of the quarter behind the wheel well. I found some more cracks in the lip of the wheel well on the driver's side although they seemed to be confined to the lip itself, so I have roughly six cracks in the driver's side wheel well. I didn't realize the SMC is stronger than the fiberglass so I'm leaning towards leaving the factory SMC quarter panels on the 79 at this point in time but I'll decide after I see what I have on the passenger side quarter of the 69 donor clip after removing the paint.

Last edited by Priya; 12-05-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:29 PM
DUB
Race Director

If you follow the edge of the panel of your used clip...you will see how it flows all the way to the bottom in a nice curve....but if you look at your car currently...you can see how the quarter panel edge stops and then goes inwards ...thus giving the quarter panel the appearance of a flare or mud flap look...so-to-speak.

What ever you choose is fine with me...

DUB
Old 12-06-2015, 07:18 AM
army
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Priya.. I mean this in a constructive way, not trying to discourage you at all, but maybe you should buy a project Vette that needs a rear clip like Doorgunner did and sell your `79? It appears to be all original and in pretty nice condition. Seems like a shame to modify it like that. I'd be willing to do a bolt on conversion but I don't think I could work up the courage to cut up my `76. I wouldn't want to mess up the collector value ()

That tail piece dtamustang posted is exactly what I've been envisioning for my car. For the front I want a FG bumper like the one I doodled up in photoshop (sorry, not my best `chop job). I'm not looking for chrome bumpers just a shorter side profile and a duck tail spoiler on the back like the 68-73's. I'd also like a 1970 small block style hood too.

Last edited by army; 12-08-2015 at 04:06 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-06-2015, 09:25 AM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DUB
Obviously you can use what ever sandpaper you feel more comfortable with.

AS for having an exposed fiberglass panel I have them exposed for a long time in my shop but I can control the environment. And if I have a concern... I can cover it in a plastic car cover bag that I get from the paint supplier.

Question for you Dub:

I was originally planning to remove the rear quarters from my 79 and seperate the rear quarters from the 69 rear clip at the bonding seams and make a cut along the top just behind the gas tank filler and then bond the 69 quarters and rear 8 inches or so of the 69 rear clip to my 79 and then glass in the join on the top edge. I understand that making joins at the wheel well lips can be prone to cracking and I'm nervous about getting the 69 rear quarters as straight as I'd like so I'm wondering if you would recommend going with my original plan or if I should just cut off the 69 rear clip just ahead of the rear wheel well opening and graft that to my 79 as shown in the picture below?

DUB[/QUOTE]
Interesting discussion regarding the compatibility of the SMC and fiberglass on this project. I did not realize the difference between 69 and 79 fiberglass content. When did the content change I thought is was during the C4 or C5 era?
Old 12-06-2015, 11:45 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by blue67ragtop
Interesting discussion regarding the compatibility of the SMC and fiberglass on this project. I did not realize the difference between 69 and 79 fiberglass content. When did the content change I thought is was during the C4 or C5 era?
I've read conflicting opinions on that. Some say some SMC panels started appearing on C3s as early as 71, others say the conversion didn't take place until 73 or 74. The concensus is that by 74 C3's were all SMC.
blue67ragtop (12-06-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 12:35 PM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

I've read conflicting opinions on that. Some say some SMC panels started appearing on C3s as early as 71, others say the conversion didn't take place until 73 or 74. The concensus is that by 74 C3's were all SMC.
Thanks, I learn something every day!
Old 12-06-2015, 05:06 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vannmike
What kind of conversion is this?
It's not a conversion - it's a chrome rear end with the bumpers removed and the "bumper shapes" shaved off...
Old 12-06-2015, 05:59 PM
DUB
Race Director

OPINIONS......are just that. I do not worry about it. It really does not matter...does it???. For me the only time I am concerned about what a panel is made out of is if I have to repair it. THAT is when it makes a difference.

The FACT of the matter is that an 'SMC' panel is a light gray panel that when stripped can have black or dark gray streaks running though it making it look like marble.

DUB
Pegan2261 (09-07-2022)
Old 12-06-2015, 06:10 PM
army
Racer

Also ..in my fantasy.. the bumpers are shortened enough that the same overall length as a chrome bumper car tip to tip is achieved, but the car still has the period 'correct' fiberglass tail and nose. It's the kind of modification hardly anybody that sees the car would even notice but it really appeals to me personally. I just can't justify spending big bucks to do it. I'm retired now so to me that's anything over fifty smackers.

Originally Posted by VETFEVER
It's not a conversion - it's a chrome rear end with the bumpers removed and the "bumper shapes" shaved off...
Old 12-06-2015, 06:53 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by army
Also ..in my fantasy.. the bumpers are shortened enough that the same overall length as a chrome bumper car tip to tip is achieved, but the car still has the period 'correct' fiberglass tail and nose. It's the kind of modification hardly anybody that sees the car would even notice but it really appeals to me personally. I just can't justify spending big bucks to do it. I'm retired now so to me that's anything over fifty smackers.
There was a guy some where on the Forum who was attempting to do just exactly what you're describing...

Get notified of new replies

To Priya's 79 chrome bumper conversion project

Old 12-08-2015, 12:11 AM
Majoho
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Subscribed! This looks like it's going to be an interesting thread.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:22 AM
army
Racer

If it's done well a chrome bumper bubble back would be a fantastic looking C3. That photoshop'd pic of one that's been floating around is killer looking.
Pegan2261 (07-11-2021)
Old 12-08-2015, 09:44 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

I am about to pick up a tail panel to do the same to my 75 vert. I pulled a mold off a 69 nose i bought and sent doorgunner a set of front bumper lips. I may put the whole nose on this conv since it is a light nose hit and nose is a little beat. But i am thinking about building a bolt-on front piece that the 72 and older bumper can go on. There will be a 3/4 inch glass lip in front of headlight openings instead of 3/8ths lip. But few will notice diff, and i am not trying to fool judges.
Attached Images  
Pegan2261 (07-11-2021)

Quick Reply: Priya's 79 chrome bumper conversion project