Crack in body line of front fender

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 07:54 PM
9192champs
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Crack in body line of front fender

Hi all,

I noticed a crack in the top of my passenger side front fender this afternoon right along the body line:

Here's a shot showing where the crack is on the fender:

A few questions:

1. Is this a common place for a crack (i.e. right along the body line)?

2. The pic makes it look much worse than it does in real life (it is more of a hairline than it appears above), so I am wondering if it is in the fiberglass or just in the paint. Is there an easy way to tell?

3. Earlier today, I jacked up that corner of the car for a few minutes to reach a bolt underneath. I used the recommended jacking point, but I am wondering if this might have caused the crack. Any thoughts on this theory?

Frustrated ,
Paul
Old 12-26-2015, 10:48 PM
Garry_W_C5_1999
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a similar crack on drivers side. I have a 1969 coupe that was repainted/restored by the prior owner. It is also a hairline crack. Barely visible. If you look under the fender there are mold/bonding seams in this area. This part of the fender is also easy to flex when leaning over and working on the engine bay. I would assume it is common, but most likely due to someone mechanically putting pressure. Could be from flex of chassis too. I look for this at local cars and coffee but don't see too much of it. My "seams" or "bond joints" under the fender look fine. I don't think it takes much flexing to crack paint.

Last edited by Garry_W_C5_1999; 12-26-2015 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:54 PM
Cajun_LS3
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

While looking to buy, I looked at several cars and this was a very common area that showed cracking in the paint. The one I ended up buying had a very minor hairline crack in pretty much the same location. I don't think it's much to worry about. As for you causing it by jacking it up, I don't have an answer for you, but I have often wondered if jacking up my car, would cause this (I've used ramps so far, but I will have to use jacks pretty soon, when I start my suspension work).
Old 12-27-2015, 12:31 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,389 Likes on 2,634 Posts

looks kinda like this?
Attached Images  

Last edited by derekderek; 12-27-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:38 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,389 Likes on 2,634 Posts

Right along top above wheel. Unhit well taken care of car. Irritating thing. This one that looks to have spent it's life rode hard and put up wet has no crack there. Even after the nose hit that seperated the bonding atrips on one side.
Attached Images  
Old 12-27-2015, 04:44 PM
bellaireroad
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

looks like a crack where the panels come together under the bonding strip, pretty common

Get notified of new replies

To Crack in body line of front fender

Quick Reply: Crack in body line of front fender