Sponsored by:

Rivets

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 03:57 PM
SideWinder3355
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rivets

I'm working on the dash of my '69. I'm finding lots of rivets that I had to remove to repair and refinish some parts. Do most replace the rivets with pop-rivets or go with the original style rivet?

Thanks

Gus
Old 01-05-2016, 04:22 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Gus,
It depends on several things...
Was it a pop-rivet originally?
If it was a soft aluminum rivet, will a pop-rivet work in it's place?
How much like it originally was do you want the finished product to be?
Regards,
Alan

Setting the soft aluminum rivets can be pretty easy in some locations and really difficult in other locations.
The following users liked this post:
DUB (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 06:13 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by SideWinder3355
I'm working on the dash of my '69. I'm finding lots of rivets that I had to remove to repair and refinish some parts. Do most replace the rivets with pop-rivets or go with the original style rivet?

Thanks

Gus
Hi Gus, if you go the original rout if in deed they are not pop rivets you will need a few things like a buck which holds the rivet, the set which will round over the rivet. You can get the rivets from ZIP or Paragon. I am doing a 69 restore and I am not sure what rivets you are concerned about. Maybe a picture could help.
Good Luck either way.
ZIO
The following users liked this post:
DUB (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 06:49 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

My .02 cents worth.

If I remove a solid aluminum rivet...I replace it with just that. If I remove a 'pop rivet'...I replace it with that.

Reason being....and this will be all up to you on how you want your car to look when completed....much like 'Alan 71' stated. When I do restorations for people..I MUST put it back like it needs to be in 99.999% of the cases BECAUSE...I do not want anyone who looks at it when it is completed to see that I took a faster route and those FINE details were NOT taken into account. I prefer to challenge myself. That is half the fun of what I get to do every day.

For me....nothing disgusts me more than when I look at the floor pans of a Corvette that is AWESOME and notice that the reinforcement plates for the seats are held in with pop rivets...and NOT the correct grip range either. To me...it just took that car down several notches in the 'ATTENTION TO DETAIL' department. But...that is just me. And I say to myself....."slacker". SO CLOSE....but yet so far away.

And if you take 'rvzio's' recommendation on where to get the solid aluminum rivets...which is SPOT ON...just keep in mind that there are some companies that sell the rivets that are not correct and are made out of REALLY HARD aluminum and seem to be made more for aircraft usage.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Rivets

Quick Reply: Rivets