Sponsored by:

1973 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 10:45 AM
rtsb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1973 Corvette

I would greatly appreciate any comments on this car .I'm wondering if this price is right or to high.If to high what should I be thinking is a good price.Here is what it said on the C3 registery before they restored some of the car and then afterwords. I'm planning on going to the place just to get a feel for what it actually looks like soon.
http://www.c3registry.com/index.php?...e&car_id=21328

http://classiccars.com/listings/view...shington-98409
Old 01-20-2016, 12:12 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 115 Posts

According to Hagerty's price guide, it's a code 3 car. Valued at $16,300. They have it priced as a code 2 car, which would be an older restoration that has aged. The things I noticed are, they removed the alarm switch from the rear of the car when they repainted it, I don't think the valve covers are original, and the rally rims don't look right. The slots look smaller, that could be distortion of the photos. None of these things are big deals, but it is way over priced. It is a very nice car though. Negotiating from their price to the code 3 price will be a long journey. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:17 PM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Looks like a nice car and I love 73's. However in my opinion it is overpriced. A very nice 73 convertible in the same color just sold here on the forum for $15K. It probably could have been sold for more though. This car looks to be driver quality only, dull chrome, not well detailed etc. I have seen much better for less than $27K. The price reflects the dealer's markup of 4 or 5 thousand in my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
rtsb (01-23-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 12:23 PM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

The rally's wheels appear to be aftermarket 16" or 17"
Old 01-20-2016, 01:02 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi rtsb,
A 73, sb, 4-speed, convertible is still a pretty desirable car.
The exterior on this one looks nice (in the pictures), the interior, although it has the new seat covers, looks just so-so to my eye, the engine compartment looks like it's had just a bit effort and time spent on it, and no pictures of the chassis makes me curious.
From the pictures and info the price seems high…. but by how much???.. maybe by the amount the dealer wants to make on it?
Regards,
Alan

I think the wheels are 15" diameter… the reflection of the openings in the trim rings make the wheels look a bit unusual.

Last edited by Alan 71; 01-20-2016 at 01:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rtsb (01-23-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 02:49 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi rtsb,
A 73, sb, 4-speed, convertible is still a pretty desirable car.
The exterior on this one looks nice (in the pictures), the interior, although it has the new seat covers, looks just so-so to my eye, the engine compartment looks like it's had just a bit effort and time spent on it, and no pictures of the chassis makes me curious.
From the pictures and info the price seems high…. but by how much???.. maybe by the amount the dealer wants to make on it?
Regards,
Alan

I think the wheels are 15" diameter… the reflection of the openings in the trim rings make the wheels look a bit unusual.
Alan, there are some underbody photos in his first link. Doesn't look like anything has been done under there. There was a reference made that the brakes had been done. Probably 2k worth of work on the underside to make a top notch car. But there's always the question of the bird cage!
Old 01-20-2016, 06:38 PM
rtsb
Racer

So I went and looked at the car today it is a very nice looking car. It's a base model 350/190 hp 4spd with about $5200 in options. there asking $25999 instead of the internet price of $26,999.The paint is only a year old the motor detail was only cosmetic he didn't clean up around the motor he wanted to keep every thing looking original instead of cleaning every nut and bolt and wire in the engine compartment except the manifold and carberator the owner put on are correct now and the radio.The seller did say the wheels are incorect he told me the owner went with that size wheel because he didn't want the the wider wheels to pick up and shoot rocks causing his brand newpaint job to chip.These wheels were on the car when the owner bought it.Supposedly he spent $20,000 restoring this car .The seller said there was over 100,000 miles on the car I asked him about the motor he said as far as he knew the motor had never been looked at .He said once in a while when he did start it up he said a little blue smoke puffed out of it.He said he's thinking it needs new valve seats.I said well if it does that kind of changes the price of the car in my mind.It has no A/C kinda want it but not that big of a deal.There is some wear on the area around the stick shift and below it but that's understandable but to be categorizing as a code #2 kinda hits me the wrong way.He kept bringing up how nice the paint was but to me that doesn't make it a code # 2 the rear bumper chrome was not super shiny like I would think a code #2 would be.The seller also said the nose had been replaced he said there were lots of cracks on it from being dried out.He said the car has not been wrecked.The onwer of the car was planning on restorig to keep it but has been diagnosed with parkinson's and just didn'thave the strength to do a full resto so he just tried to do the correct mods that were supposed to be in the car from the factory.

Last edited by rtsb; 01-21-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:33 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Let him sit on it for a month. It's winter, not a great selling season for a vert. Nobody is going to pay him that price. Tell him you like the car, but, not at that price. Then leave.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:28 PM
TMU
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '15, '17

Originally Posted by blue67ragtop
Looks like a nice car and I love 73's. However in my opinion it is overpriced. A very nice 73 convertible in the same color just sold here on the forum for $15K. It probably could have been sold for more though. This car looks to be driver quality only, dull chrome, not well detailed etc. I have seen much better for less than $27K. The price reflects the dealer's markup of 4 or 5 thousand in my opinion.
Assuming a good bird cage, and if it ran strong, I could see asking $21k.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:56 AM
Blue73Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 186 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by TMU
Assuming a good bird cage, and if it ran strong, I could see asking $21k.

A very original, unrestored car, especially in the engine compartment and interior. Valve covers indicate an L82. Leather seats and delux interior option. Check suspension, especially trailing arms area.
Fran
Old 01-21-2016, 08:03 AM
rtsb
Racer

Originally Posted by Blue73Shark

A very original, unrestored car, especially in the engine compartment and interior. Valve covers indicate an L82. Leather seats and delux interior option. Check suspension, especially trailing arms area.
Fran
It' not and L82 it's a base 350/190hp car
Old 01-21-2016, 09:00 AM
Redhook98
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Smog equipment is missing. Exhaust manifolds changed to the non-A.I.R. units and pump is missing.

Just did the same to my car. Not picking, just pointing out.

Last edited by Redhook98; 01-21-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:06 AM
toylman
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 179 Posts

I would keep looking, because it is close to you, you are giving it more interest than it deserves at that price. In my opinion, if you bought that car and had to sell it for any reason, you would only get around 17K at best. Buyers are very fussy and you should be as well.
Originally Posted by rtsb
So I went and looked at the car today it is a very nice looking car. It's a base model 350/190 hp 4spd with about $5200 in options. there asking $25999 instead of the internet price of $26,999.The paint is only a year old the motor detail was only cosmetic he didn't clean up around the motor he wanted to keep every thing looking original instead of cleaning every nut and bolt and wire in the engine compartment except the manifold and carberator the owner put on are correct now and the radio.The seller did say the wheels are incorect he told me the owner went with that size wheel because he didn't want the the wider wheels to pick up and shoot rocks causing his brand newpaint job to chip.These wheels were on the car when the owner bought it.Supposedly he spent $20,000 restoring this car .The seller said there was over 100,000 miles on the car I asked him about the motor he said as far as he knew the motor had never been looked at .He said once in a while when he did start it up he said a little blue smoke puffed out of it.He said he's thinking it needs new valve seats.I said well if it does that kind of changes the price of the car in my mind.It has no A/C kinda want it but not that big of a deal.There is some wear on the area around the stick shift and below it but that's understandable but to be categorizing as a code #2 kinda hits me the wrong way.He kept bringing up how nice the paint was but to me that doesn't make it a code # 2 the rear bumper chrome was not super shiny like I would think a code #2 would be.The seller also said the nose had been replaced he said there were lots of cracks on it from being dried out.He said the car has not been wrecked.The onwer of the car was planning on restorig to keep it but has been diagnosed with parkinson's and just didn'thave the strength to do a full resto so he just tried to do the correct mods that were supposed to be in the car from the factory.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:31 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by rtsb
...about $5200 in options...
That's interesting. Who came up with that figure?

Old 01-21-2016, 09:37 AM
toylman
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 179 Posts

Speaking from Experience. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...k-top-int.html

Originally Posted by Easy Mike

Last edited by toylman; 01-21-2016 at 09:38 AM. Reason: wrong reply
Old 01-21-2016, 03:08 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Looks like a nice driver. Base engine 4-speed no A/C. If rust free, I would price it in the upper teens. Recent paint and a new conv top (not installed very well, not tight). New paint can cause you to over look other problems. Has composit rear spring which is good for a driver.

For comparison, another member just sold a 74 conv, 454, auto, a/c, 37k miles at Mecum Fla for $28k.

Last edited by Tom73; 01-21-2016 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:40 PM
454Luvr
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by TMU
Assuming a good bird cage...
How would anyone ever know without tearing the car apart? Wouldn't a prospective buyer have to remove at least the windshield and trim to see it?

Get notified of new replies

To 1973 Corvette

Old 01-21-2016, 05:47 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by 454Luvr
How would anyone ever know without tearing the car apart? Wouldn't a prospective buyer have to remove at least the windshield and trim to see it?
Removing the kick panels and checking the body mount area gives you a good idea of the birdcage condition. If you see a pile of rust there is a good chance the birdcage is shot or will at least need to be addressed.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:54 PM
rtsb
Racer

Originally Posted by Easy Mike

On Hagerty's website it list the prices for the options.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:45 PM
454Luvr
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by chazde3
Removing the kick panels and checking the body mount area gives you a good idea of the birdcage condition. If you see a pile of rust there is a good chance the birdcage is shot or will at least need to be addressed.
That's probably true, but not the reverse. Based on everything I've been reading on this subject, it's possible to have significant rust in the upper areas of the cage even if the mounts don't look too bad. I just don't understand why anyone would take this risk considering the potential repair cost. If you know the owner and the history of the car, that's one thing, but it 's not typical of most sales. Then there's the fact that most of the early C3s I see on eBay and CL now would be overpriced even if the frame and cage were like new. Sorry, I just don't get it.

Quick Reply: 1973 Corvette