Sponsored by:

1975 Convertible top frame question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 08:26 PM
LRB
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 1975 Convertible top frame question

I am in the process of restoring the convertible top frame and I can not find a diagram of the frame. I have the AM, but have not found a breakdown of the frame. The top was off the car when I bought it and I know some of the cables are not connected. Anyone have a diagram?
Old 01-22-2016, 07:25 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Actually....when you buy the new top...you more than likely will get the instruction DVD...and it will show where the cables (one on each side) are used to hold the top taught above the door glass area

I know where these cables are pop-riveted in at the top of the 'B' pillar portion (so-to-speak)...but have not photo of it.

FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH:

When I replace convertible tops...I make sure that ALL of the special tubular staked rivets that the factory used are in GOOD condition and if any are bad...I replace them. Then I make sure that the top frame has NOT been 'racked'...which can effect how the top will go on and you will fight it due to the top frame bow (above the back window) has been pushed to one side or the other...thus 'racked".

I also do not rely on anything still being correct....SO I verify that the top frame will allow the weatherstrips around the door glass will seal correctly...and that the height of the top frame will allow the small weatherstrip to seal against the top edge of the door with out eating/scrubbing paint off of it.

DUB
Old 01-23-2016, 09:32 AM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

Hey DUB,
Sounds like you know your way around a C3 vert top. I have a '74 that's going to need a replacement. The frame is in great shape but all the weatherstrip will have to be replaced. What should I expect a ballpark cost for the job by a pro? Your insight would be appreciated.

Thanks OP for using your thread.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:40 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey5
Hey DUB,
Sounds like you know your way around a C3 vert top. I have a '74 that's going to need a replacement. The frame is in great shape but all the weatherstrip will have to be replaced. What should I expect a ballpark cost for the job by a pro? Your insight would be appreciated.

Thanks OP for using your thread.
The labor costs of installing the weatherstrips are INCLUDED ...(or SHOULD BE) in the cost of installing the new top. AS I wrote...I pre- fit and check things before the top goes on...and the rear bow weatherstrip I spend some time on to make sure it fits correctly.
NOW...getting the top frame adjusted and set so all parts come together as designed is ANOTHER thing entirely....and for that...I really do not like throwing out 'ballpark' costs. Because some people who may read this may forget all about it being 'ballpark' estimate and use it as being the final costs. They always seem to remember the lowest number in the 'ballpark range'

I do not know what the 'going rate' is in your area for any type of convertible top work...or the hourly rate. The KEY THING is hopefully the person who does install the parts....KNOWS what they are doing....because I have seen convertible tops that were done by a few shops here in my town by guys who have been DOING IT WRONG for 30 years. And you can tell...they DO NOT know what they are doing....when you know what to look for.

DUB
Old 01-24-2016, 11:51 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by LRB
...I have the AM, but have not found a breakdown of the frame...
FWIW: folding top irons were received as pre-assembled units at St. Louis. Essentially, there was nothing for a worker to assemble. AIMs show items for assembly where an assembly line worker had to be involved.

The Chassis Service Manual has a section on the folding top.

Get notified of new replies

To 1975 Convertible top frame question

Quick Reply: 1975 Convertible top frame question