C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are there Date Codes stamped on original Delco Starter Solenoids?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 01:05 AM
Jhiltonn
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Are there Date Codes stamped on original Delco Starter Solenoids?

I'm trying to figure out if there are date codes stamped on the sides of Delco Remy original Starter Solenoids like GM #1114458, which seemed to fit a very wide range of years of Corvettes.

I've looked at quite a few of these NOS Delco Solenoids and many seem to have what appears to be a date code stamped on its side, just above the part number stamping. It's in the format of a one digit year, an alpha one digit month code, and a one or two digit day code.... So 2E24 would be May 24, 1972. I've see quite a few with this format date code stamping, but I've also seen some with just a one character letter stamped above the part number, like a lonely 'E', so maybe some were stamped, some weren't?

I know the starters themselves are date coded, but are vintage original Solenoids date coded too? Wouldn't you think so?? If the are, then it's not listed as such in the NCRS Judges Manual at least for 1971-72 Corvettes.

Does anyone know?
Thanks,
Joe
Old 01-22-2016, 07:29 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Joe,
I'm sure this is an original sb solenoid on an original starter.
???
Regards,
Alan

Old 01-22-2016, 04:40 PM
Jhiltonn
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Joe,
I'm sure this is an original sb solenoid on an original starter.
???
Regards,
Alan

Thank you Alan! I cannot find that 1114362 number referenced anywhere . Do you think it was also used in 1972 SBC Vettes? Just trying to figure out what I should have on my 1108418 starter for a correct solenoid....

Lastly, do you know what the correct paint color should be on a 1108418 starter in a 72 SBC MT?

TY.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:45 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi j,
I believe that all starter cases were painted semi-flat black.
I also believe the cast iron nose on starters for 4-speed cars was also painted semi-flat black, while the aluminum nose on starters for automatic cars was left natural.
The metal case on the solenoid could have been semi-flat black or cad or zinc plating. People lean toward paint on sb solenoids and plating on bb solenoids
I REALLY don't know for what applications or during what production period the solenoid in my picture was used.
Sorry! This is the down side of seeing relatively few cars.
???
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 01-22-2016 at 05:58 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Are there Date Codes stamped on original Delco Starter Solenoids?

Quick Reply: Are there Date Codes stamped on original Delco Starter Solenoids?