Sponsored by:

Window adjustment help please.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 05:23 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Default Window adjustment help please.

This happens with both sides. Took everything apart and cleaned. I have been playing with the passenger side for about 4 hours, have read the write ups and watched the videos. The window will not go up all the way. As soon as it hits the weather strip it slows and stops. But if I open the door the window will go all the way up. And then it is sealed when I close the door. The weather stripping is all new.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:55 PM
Wanna be
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 540 vette
This happens with both sides. Took everything apart and cleaned. I have been playing with the passenger side for about 4 hours, have read the write ups and watched the videos. The window will not go up all the way. As soon as it hits the weather strip it slows and stops. But if I open the door the window will go all the way up. And then it is sealed when I close the door. The weather stripping is all new.
I have all but given up on trying to get mine adjusted correctly. I spent hours and hours last winter trying to make mine better but to no avail. I hope some people can shed some light on what is going on with the windows. Mine fit so bad, I think that the glass is out of a chevelle or something. Lol
Old 01-30-2016, 06:33 PM
danh77
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I don't know if it's the proper way to do it but when I replaced the spring on my regulator a few weeks ago I couldn't get the window to seal where I wanted it so I loosened every bolt for both frt and rear guide channels, and for the horizontal channel also. Then from inside the car I operated the window and adjusted the guides until I got it where I wanted it.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:23 AM
540 vette
Race Director

The windows work right and seal. They will only go all the way up when the door is open.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:56 AM
old city
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine was the same way. What i did was watch the window as it goes up and it mite be binding on the weather striping. You may have to trim it back a bit. Look at the front forward part of the window weather stripping pull it back by hand and work the window up and down wile pulling the stripping back . If the window goes up better where you pulled back the stripping you can see where it is binding and trim a little at a time tip the window goes up properly. Hope this works for you.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:03 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by old city
Mine was the same way. What i did was watch the window as it goes up and it mite be binding on the weather striping. You may have to trim it back a bit. Look at the front forward part of the window weather stripping pull it back by hand and work the window up and down wile pulling the stripping back . If the window goes up better where you pulled back the stripping you can see where it is binding and trim a little at a time tip the window goes up properly. Hope this works for you.
Did you trim the weatherstripping in the front of back.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:19 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Did you trim the weatherstripping in the front of back.
Before trimming anything, try spraying the weatherstripping with some silicon spray. I fixed the power windows on another vehicle by doing this and a can should only cost you about $5 at your local parts store. 3M makes it but so do a bunch of other companies.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:42 PM
JC68
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 105 Posts

540 VETTE

Are your weatherstrip retainers in place on the front pillar? Although they are called retainers there purpose is to help push the window to the outside of the weatherstriping to aid in closing. I believe all years but 68 used them. Even with these in place your still going to need weatherstrip lubricant as Les commented.

John
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2016, 01:55 PM
old city
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

try the lube first. You have to see where the window is binding then trim a little at a time till the window goes up with out binding. My car was binding in the front.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:12 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by JC68
540 VETTE

Are your weatherstrip retainers in place on the front pillar? Although they are called retainers there purpose is to help push the window to the outside of the weatherstriping to aid in closing. I believe all years but 68 used them. Even with these in place your still going to need weatherstrip lubricant as Les commented.

John

Yes I have them on the car.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:15 PM
540 vette
Race Director

I will try the lube. 3 hours today, getting frustrated. The only reason I am getting crazy with this is I want to sell the car.

It seems like the glass is to far forward. But there is only a small amount to go back before it hits the door.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:15 PM
540 vette
Race Director

OK lubed it up with WD 40. went up and down smoother. I think I got it adjusted to were I started yesterday. The glass seems to need to be a little higher in the front and lower in the back. If I twist the glass a little as it goes up it works.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:47 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Found out the rear of the glass weather stripping is where it is binding. Will try lubing it and then trim it. How do you trim it so it dosen't look like bubba did it.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:48 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Found out the rear of the glass weather stripping is where it is binding. Will try lubing it and then trim it. How do you trim it so it dosen't look like bubba did it.
It sounds like you are close.

What brand is the weatherstripping? If it's the imported reproduction stuff there are issues with the weatherstrip that include the pillar being an extrusion and they are harder than they should be. This can cause a bind up with the door glass. Some USA stuff has the extruded A pillar weatherstrip too so it can still be an issue.

Willcox
Old 02-02-2016, 05:49 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
It sounds like you are close.

What brand is the weatherstripping? If it's the imported reproduction stuff there are issues with the weatherstrip that include the pillar being an extrusion and they are harder than they should be. This can cause a bind up with the door glass. Some USA stuff has the extruded A pillar weatherstrip too so it can still be an issue.

Willcox

I am not sure what brand it is. But the one at the rear of the door glass is the problem. I removed it and everything works fine. It seems to not have any give. What do you recommend.

Last edited by 540 vette; 02-02-2016 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:26 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I looked through your profile trying to find what year this Corvette is????

Because the rear vertical weatherstrips are different from a 1968 to 1982 and that can makes a difference in how the glass will go up with the door shut....due to WHO made the weatherstrip.

And for what it is worth. When I check to see if the door glass is adjusted correctly...I have the engine running. I personally have adjusted a window for so long I was eating up the battery and when I cranked the engine...the window would do what I wanted....just 'saying'.

Not knowing how much you have replaced in this area....I can say from experience that IF the front roller that is attached to the glass and rides in the front track has any in and out play....attempting to keep or get a door glass alignment hold is about impossible.

And this is IF the door glass has play in the front and or rear roller...then this is where the door glass can tilt where you DO NOT want it to tilt and be able to control. So..if the door glass is all the way up and you can move it in and out and the felt adjusters allow to to pull against them and you can see that there is play in the front/rear roller...you are fighting a loosing battle.

Also...if the density of the weatherstrip is dense....because there is some weatherstrip otu there that are WAY too dense and will make the door glass FIGHT like crazy to go up all the way when the door is shut... Then.... what you are trying to do may be futile.

Not knowing what procedure you are using to adjust the door glass...it is hard to comment on that. I have way that seems to work for me...and your method may be the same....that I do not know.

Wanting to help...just do not know how...without more info or talking about what is happening when you raise it when the door is shut and what happens when the door glass is UP and you shut the door.

DUB
Old 02-02-2016, 09:11 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by DUB
I looked through your profile trying to find what year this Corvette is????

Because the rear vertical weatherstrips are different from a 1968 to 1982 and that can makes a difference in how the glass will go up with the door shut....due to WHO made the weatherstrip.

And for what it is worth. When I check to see if the door glass is adjusted correctly...I have the engine running. I personally have adjusted a window for so long I was eating up the battery and when I cranked the engine...the window would do what I wanted....just 'saying'.

Not knowing how much you have replaced in this area....I can say from experience that IF the front roller that is attached to the glass and rides in the front track has any in and out play....attempting to keep or get a door glass alignment hold is about impossible.

And this is IF the door glass has play in the front and or rear roller...then this is where the door glass can tilt where you DO NOT want it to tilt and be able to control. So..if the door glass is all the way up and you can move it in and out and the felt adjusters allow to to pull against them and you can see that there is play in the front/rear roller...you are fighting a loosing battle.

Also...if the density of the weatherstrip is dense....because there is some weatherstrip otu there that are WAY too dense and will make the door glass FIGHT like crazy to go up all the way when the door is shut... Then.... what you are trying to do may be futile.

Not knowing what procedure you are using to adjust the door glass...it is hard to comment on that. I have way that seems to work for me...and your method may be the same....that I do not know.

Wanting to help...just do not know how...without more info or talking about what is happening when you raise it when the door is shut and what happens when the door glass is UP and you shut the door.

DUB
Dub the problem is with the B pillar weatherstrip. It is to stiff. I took it out and the problem disappeared. Without that the window rolls up and down fine and seals to the A pillar weatherstrip fine. The car is a 1980. I don't know what to do about the weatherstripping now. I don't want to buy another set and have the same problem. I need to know which brand is the correct one to get.

Last edited by 540 vette; 02-02-2016 at 09:12 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Window adjustment help please.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:42 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Well last night I did a little experiment. I took a long drill bit and drilled out the center of the B pillar weatherstripping. It took away some of the hardness and it worked great.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:10 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Look on the back of the weatherstrip for the small letters .. CRC if they are there then you have the best there is being made at this time. If they are not there, then you can order the door glass rear weatherstrips in pairs without getting a kit and they are not that expensive. I'd need the year to post you a direct link but this one will get you close.

https://willcoxcorvette.com/catalogs...oor+glass+rear
Old 02-03-2016, 12:56 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Look on the back of the weatherstrip for the small letters .. CRC if they are there then you have the best there is being made at this time. If they are not there, then you can order the door glass rear weatherstrips in pairs without getting a kit and they are not that expensive. I'd need the year to post you a direct link but this one will get you close.

https://willcoxcorvette.com/catalogs...oor+glass+rear

The car is an 80 and there was no lettering on it. Thanks for getting back to me. I want to see how long the weatherstrip holds up now that I have hollowed it out. It is working fine now.

Quick Reply: Window adjustment help please.