C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

73 Vert setting 1 inch lower on passenger side. Body mount?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 10:36 AM
S**ttersFull
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 73 Vert setting 1 inch lower on passenger side. Body mount?

I measured the rear passenger side an entire inch closer to the tire than the drivers side. Turns out its not the suspension which is perfect but in fact a body mount in the rear that's an original and has gone bad.

My question is can these be replaced without having to do a body off restoration? I'm already $30,000 into this car which may not sound like much but to a person who only buys things they can at least break even on this car is killing me lol.

I'll try to get pictures of the back body mount I am referencing. I want to get it replaced before it does more damage to the body/cracks it.

Thanks
Old 02-11-2016, 10:00 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,814 Likes on 1,604 Posts

on my 69, which has solid mounts, the rear most mounts behind the rear wheel wells were replaced without doing anything to the body.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:11 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Yes but, after you get it all loose you will see things
Old 02-12-2016, 02:23 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,157 Likes on 2,728 Posts

Rookie here.....I have the same/worse problem on my basketcase project.

I would loosen ALL the mounting bolts so the body could be raised JUST ENOUGH in the area to replace the bushings/spacers that are rotten.

Problem on my car is....not only the bushings are destroyed, but the metal brackets that are riveted to the fiberglass body are rusted to pieces.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:38 AM
JimE
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If your talking about the number 4 body mount, you really don't have to loosen any of the other body mounts. You will probably need to cut the bolts off, grind the heads off of the rivets on the body mount reinforcement, & remove it probably in pieces. The problem is the body mount bracket on the frame usually rots around the hole where the cushion goes thru & will need repair. After any frame bracket repair that might be needed, install new body mount reinforcements, I use small bolts for reattachment. If you have a porta power, use a joint separator attachment , between the body & rear frame, the body has enough flex to allow you to insert the new cushion, lower the body, inert new body mount bolts your done. I did a couple 74's that way no problems.

Get notified of new replies

To 73 Vert setting 1 inch lower on passenger side. Body mount?

Quick Reply: 73 Vert setting 1 inch lower on passenger side. Body mount?