C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It will show up here eventually - Daily driver fail

Old 03-20-2016, 02:16 PM
Madhatr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

So if anyone is interested, I have been doing some work. I got the rear disassembled, and while doing so I played with the time lapse function of my camera and made the fastest tear down ever!

The trailing arm bolt was giving me trouble and it took about an hour the next day to get it out. But when I did I found it was indeed bent

The good news is that parts showed up Monday (thank you Willcox)

And I have got the hub disassembled... these things come apart alot easier when you have done it once already!

Now to reassemble everthing, and hopefully fast! I got my new tires for rallycross and the next event is April 3rd so I don't have a lot of time....

Last edited by Madhatr; 03-20-2016 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:45 PM
Andy Tuttle
Melting Slicks

Received 392 Likes on 340 Posts

Yup, that was a bit bent. Glad you had some decent weather to work in! Where will your rallyx be? Keep up the good work. And if you get bored, Come on down as I will be staring at my t/as in the near future!

Last edited by Andy Tuttle; 03-21-2016 at 01:27 AM.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:58 PM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Rallycross? Serious?
Old 03-21-2016, 08:18 AM
Madhatr
Pro

Originally Posted by Andy Tuttle
Yup, that was a bit bent. Glad you had some decent weather to work in! Where will your rallyx be? Keep up the good work. And if you get bored, Come on down as I will be staring at my t/as in the near future!

Haha, I will keep that in mind If you have access to shop press, it makes life a lot easier! The next event is in Vinton, North of Cedar Rapids. However the DSM area SCCA hosts their own autocross and Rally events if you want to check out the action.

Originally Posted by AdamMeh
Rallycross? Serious?
Yes!
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ng-banned.html

Old 03-21-2016, 08:53 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,218 Likes on 1,730 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by AdamMeh
Rallycross? Serious?
AND there's also a rumor Chris AKA "Madhtr" is swapping the engine to WRX EJ20!!!

Originally Posted by Madhatr
So if anyone is interested, I have been doing some work. I got the rear disassembled, and while doing so I played with the time lapse function of my camera and made the fastest tear down ever!
The video doesn't show where you remove the jackstands from underneath the car!!!

Love the time lapse!!!

Richard
Old 03-21-2016, 10:01 AM
Madhatr
Pro

Originally Posted by Richard454
AND there's also a rumor Chris AKA "Madhtr" is swapping the engine to WRX EJ20!!!

Richard
Well that would make room for AWD

Seriously though, I am jonesing for boost. Maybe after the new chassis is setup with EFI I can start looking at Superchargers

I think the time lapse was interesting. It amazes me the technology has come far enough that anyone can be their own video production company.

And Just for you Richard.... gratuitous jack stand stowage pic

But if you like that, wait until the new chassis and roll cage is done.... I have a 'sport luggage rack' idea that should be pretty trick!
Old 10-01-2016, 08:49 AM
Z06NJ
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 205 Posts

I was clinching my knuckles when you started sliding around like that When a slide like that usually happens, what is the best way to recover from it while trying to remain cool/calm and not panicking? Let of the gas and counter steer gently (or apply little throttle at the same time)?
Old 10-03-2016, 11:44 PM
Madhatr
Pro

Originally Posted by Z06NJ
I was clinching my knuckles when you started sliding around like that When a slide like that usually happens, what is the best way to recover from it while trying to remain cool/calm and not panicking? Let of the gas and counter steer gently (or apply little throttle at the same time)?
Well... I didn't expect this thread to surface again

The short answer to your question is: DON'T DO WHAT DID! Lol. But, seriously I think it was mentioned in an earlier post, that with a manual trans, depressing the clutch goes along way to letting the car come back in line. I think what I did was backed out of the throttle too fast (without disengagement of the clutch) which in that low traction situation basically locked the rear wheels. Not sure what would have happened in an auto though. Also ADDING throttle in theory should have transferred weight to the rear wheels... but by the time that would have crossed my mind I was way out of my traction limit.

Best I can offer you is this:

Try to Keep your cool, durring AND after. Panicking leads to ill-fated decisions.

A well aligned car will tend to want to go in a straight line... If I feel her getting squirrely I try to make as minimal corrections as possible. It is very easy to over correct, especially in our cars... so I try when I can to let the car settle itself, Without any sudden movements from me.

Lastly, this one comes from the race car drivers: Always look where you WANT to go, (not what you are going to hit) If you are looking where you want to go, your brain will transfer that to your hands.

If I am wrong here, someone correct me... but thats what I got. Bonus if tou wanna follow along with the rest of my shenanigans, I have started a new thread here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/3857685-madhatr-s-adventure-and-unconventional-build-thread.html

...and have a bunch of new stuff to post very soon!
The following users liked this post:
Z06NJ (10-04-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: It will show up here eventually - Daily driver fail