C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1968 427/390 convertible survivor value?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 09:33 PM
kkoykka
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1968 427/390 convertible survivor value?

Looking for some help on deciding the value before I make offer. I have the opportunity to purchase a completely original 68 convertible 427/390 4 speed. Its in great survivor condition and the only thing that isn't original is the tires. Still runs and drives like it did in 1968 with only 36K original miles from the original owner who passed away. Original paint is in great shape and is the corvette bronze color with white top. Interior is in perfect shape and looks like it did in 68. All the chrome trim and emblems are perfect and everything works on it. Has all the paperwork, original window sticker, tank sticker, original sales paperwork, original protect-o-plate and even the business card from the GM salesman he bought it from. Its always been garaged and never in bad weather. Actually amazing that someone was able to keep this since 68 and not mess with it. Its the type of car that should be kept as a survivor and not restored as its too nice as it is. Just trying to figure out what the actual value of a car this nice and original should be? Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:14 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

ONE MILLION DOLLARS!

Seriously, a survivor can be a fantastic car or a real can of worms. What is your intent? If you want to show it, have it judged, trailer it around, then it is great.

If you want to drive it, you have almost 50 year old hoses and belts, a heater core that most likely has never been flushed, along with a radiator the same way.

Once you begin driving, you could discover you, your car, and your mechanic/parts guy become really close.

I haven't been keeping up with prices, which I think I heard are down again, but I'd guess $30,000 on the low to $40,000 on the high, on a real world market. If you went with it to an auction, the level of auction and the number of drunks could throw that price anywhere.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:38 PM
kkoykka
Advanced

Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing
ONE MILLION DOLLARS!

Seriously, a survivor can be a fantastic car or a real can of worms. What is your intent? If you want to show it, have it judged, trailer it around, then it is great.

If you want to drive it, you have almost 50 year old hoses and belts, a heater core that most likely has never been flushed, along with a radiator the same way.

Once you begin driving, you could discover you, your car, and your mechanic/parts guy become really close.

I haven't been keeping up with prices, which I think I heard are down again, but I'd guess $30,000 on the low to $40,000 on the high, on a real world market. If you went with it to an auction, the level of auction and the number of drunks could throw that price anywhere.
Thanks, Not sure what I would do with it other then maybe a few shows. I was guessing around the same price range so this helps. I am still trying to finish another c1 project so not looking to do much with it at this time. Just didn't want to pass up the opportunity. Thanks for the reply
Old 02-12-2016, 10:44 PM
radiotexas
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Need photos, lots of photos, over under sideways down...thank you Yardbirds-1966. Hard to venture an estimate without something to look at. Good luck.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:59 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 657 Likes on 468 Posts

If it truly is as original as you say and things like the alternator, starter, carb, wires and all the little things are there then the car has some real value. Sme people ( like me) really like to see that kind of thing. And I pay more for it personally.
I just bought a 69 427/390 vert with side pipes, 2 owner car, with great docs for 40k. That car was very original but not completely, missing some original items such as carb, wires, tires, side view mirror, missing RC15 cap but everything else is as the day it left St Louis. But the engine needs a rebuild. Even so, I've been taking pics of everything. It's amazing to see something so original.

So if your car runs good then I think its a 40k car. Proteam has a nice unrestored 69 400hp roadster for 70k but they brought the price down temporarily over the summer to 55k and it still didnt sell so I don't think the 68 would justify that price. But 40 should be fair assuming its in very good solid shape with no serious hidden issues. Be carefull to check all the problem areas.

Good luck

Last edited by ed427vette; 02-12-2016 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:22 AM
kkoykka
Advanced

Originally Posted by ed427vette
If it truly is as original as you say and things like the alternator, starter, carb, wires and all the little things are there then the car has some real value. Sme people ( like me) really like to see that kind of thing. And I pay more for it personally.
I just bought a 69 427/390 vert with side pipes, 2 owner car, with great docs for 40k. That car was very original but not completely, missing some original items such as carb, wires, tires, side view mirror, missing RC15 cap but everything else is as the day it left St Louis. But the engine needs a rebuild. Even so, I've been taking pics of everything. It's amazing to see something so original.

So if your car runs good then I think its a 40k car. Proteam has a nice unrestored 69 400hp roadster for 70k but they brought the price down temporarily over the summer to 55k and it still didnt sell so I don't think the 68 would justify that price. But 40 should be fair assuming its in very good solid shape with no serious hidden issues. Be carefull to check all the problem areas.

Good luck
Thanks, it really is completely all original and working and driving like back in the day. The two things that broke in its life were the alternator once and starter once and the original owner was smart enough to have them rebuilt and put back on the car instead of buying replacements. Still has the original carb, distributor, plug wires and smog equipment. Nothing has ever been removed from it. Motor runs great and has never been apart. Seems like the original owner knew what he was doing when he bought it back in 68 with the plans of keeping it so original.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:24 AM
kkoykka
Advanced

Originally Posted by radiotexas
Need photos, lots of photos, over under sideways down...thank you Yardbirds-1966. Hard to venture an estimate without something to look at. Good luck.

Going to meet with them Monday and will get photos to post.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:04 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by kkoykka
Going to meet with them Monday and will get photos to post.
Good luck. It sounds like a very nice, unmolested 68. If it's as nice as it sounds, $40,000 would be a nice ballpark figure. A thorough inspection will dictate it's real worth to you.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:22 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

What are they asking for the car? I hate to sound like an a**hole, but your description of the car is almost unbelievable. When you see it, I hope it's as nice as what you've told.

Good luck.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 02-13-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:38 AM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
What are they asking for the car? I hate to sound like an a**hole, but your description of the car is almost unbelievable. When you see it, I hope it's as nice as what you've told.

Good luck.
I agree..hoping you can prove us wrong.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:51 AM
exposingtime
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

Sounds like a great car. What options?

I would say 35k to 40k would be an excellent starting price if it's really in the condition you describe. Sounds to me like it's more of a 60k or 70k car if it's a super nice quality survivor, especially if it can be a possible ncrs bowtie or BG survivor candide.

Don't listen to anyone that chimes in about 68s being less of a car than 69 to 72.

Gary
Old 02-13-2016, 09:17 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by exposingtime
...Don't listen to anyone that chimes in about 68s being less of a car than 69 to 72...
Amen to that.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:18 AM
midigike
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I agree with the concensus the value on something that original would be in the 30-40 thousand range in the private sector and like said earlier at action could bring more. I would have it survivor judged right away, as you do not want to be driving around on old hardware and 40+ year brake hoses. We need to see pictures though, we are very curious cats here, good luck to you, we all hope it turns out to be a super find.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:38 AM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by exposingtime
Sounds like a great car. What options?

I would say 35k to 40k would be an excellent starting price if it's really in the condition you describe. Sounds to me like it's more of a 60k or 70k car if it's a super nice quality survivor, especially if it can be a possible ncrs bowtie or BG survivor candide.

Don't listen to anyone that chimes in about 68s being less of a car than 69 to 72.

Gary
I don't see any 68 390hp getting 60-70, even a bowtie/survivor award car. The 69 400hp can't even get that much right now and that is a dealer price. 68 or 69 having nothing to do with it. 400 being a more desirable and rarer would just naturally make it higher in value in either year. Everything else being equal.

Really want to see pics.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:59 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Still has the original carb, distributor, plug wires and smog equipment.
ok, I am impressed. Was going to ask about the carb, which is a very expensive ($700+?) and difficult item to replace, as original.

One fun thing you can do with a very original car is go through the NCRS Bowtie judging process. A car can only be bowtie judged one time. So the good news would be if the car was judged and passed as mostly all original. The bad news would be a new owner could not go through the process. Any idea if the car has gone through the NCRS judging process, either flight or bowtie?

I also would love to see pictures!

Last edited by PRNDL; 02-13-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:08 AM
exposingtime
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ed427vette
I don't see any 68 390hp getting 60-70, even a bowtie/survivor award car. The 69 400hp can't even get that much right now and that is a dealer price. 68 or 69 having nothing to do with it. 400 being a more desirable and rarer would just naturally make it higher in value in either year. Everything else being equal.

Really want to see pics.
The actual price comes down to the quality of the car and options.

I don't pay a shred of attention to dealer pricing. Most dealer inventory cars are not really great quality. They all look nice in pics but have undisclosed issues.

The market is divided into two different types of buyers, people seeking original unmolested cars and people looking for drivers, restored cars restomods etc. Nothing wrong with either group of buyer, but someone looking for an original car will typically pay a big premium for a nice original car like the one being described.

The guy who has been searching for an original car for 2 years would see $50k as a bargain, while the guy looking for a restored car or a car to restore would probably value the same car at $30k or less.
The following 2 users liked this post by exposingtime:
avalonjohn (02-14-2016), marshal135 (02-15-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 10:58 AM
kkoykka
Advanced

Here are a few pictures I have of the car so far that were sent to me. I will get more when I meet with him. Its a very close friend of my family who has the car now. He recently got it from the widow of the original owner with in the last year or so who he is also a very close friend of. The original owner was from Long Island NY when bought new back in 68, and I believe the Blair Chevy license plate frame is even the original one from the dealer. The soft top and all interior is just as original. Its never been judged, so if I end up getting it I would definitely like to do that.

Last edited by kkoykka; 02-14-2016 at 10:58 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1968 427/390 convertible survivor value?

Old 02-14-2016, 11:06 AM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Nice car. A real time capsule. My guess is $30K to $40K, just like the others.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:08 AM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Well, I can tell you right now the car may have been been repainted at least by the windshield wiper area which usually means more that just that area. The area in front of the windshield wiper, directly in front of the cowl, under the hood, should be black, not body color unless its a very early car. Maybe first 4000? The picture shows body color.

Look for color overspray on the tire tub in the rear. If you see ANY overspray you know the car was repainted back there too. Since the bodies were painted off the frame there should be no body color overspray on the chassis areas at all.

Other than that the car looks very correct from what can been seen. Great car.

Last edited by ed427vette; 02-14-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:02 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Nice looking 68. Is it the camera angle or are the backup lights missing from the rear exhaust panel?

Quick Reply: 1968 427/390 convertible survivor value?