Looking for Paint Shop in the South

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 02:19 PM
bagger88
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for Paint Shop in the South

Ok Corvette Brothers and Sisters

I live in Alabama and I'm looking for a legit quality paint shop that knows how to work with a corvette. I'm willing to trailer it to GA, TN, MS if anybody has suggestions or who they used. I'd also be interested to know how much you paid (PM me this please) and did they do a good quality job. I've completely redone/replaced the interior so I need a great painter. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Bagger
Old 02-23-2016, 07:26 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

PROFESSIONAL ADVICE/OPINION:

One suggestion...remove your new interior.

I do not do any interior work until AFTER the car has been painted so it does not get damaged...or get an odor due to the body work/paint process.

You can do as you wish. Its your car. But in my opinion....any 'good painter' that notices that your interior is FRESH and NEW....will...or should take it out....knowing that anything can happen. All it takes is one drip or stain or scuff and then next thing you know...they would have to be buying new parts. NO THANKS>>>BEEN THERE a long time ago....and I do not 'play' that...I would take the time to remove and re-install all parts that can get damaged. And YES...I use blankets and protective film....but on NEW parts...I do not mess around...because 'stuff happens'.

Which is why when I am talking with owners who want to freshen up their Corvette. And I find out that they want to do interior work and paint work...I blatantly tell them that I will not do any interior work until after the paint work is done first. And if they choose to do the interior work first.....I let them know that if I paint it for them in the very near future...and the interior is still FRESH...they are paying me to take out all the interior again when I paint it or they can take it somewhere else.

Like I wrote...stuff happens.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
mildot (02-24-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 08:25 PM
ENCSDOUG
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Totally agree with Dub. I'm still finding sanding dust. A good painter will remove the doors to paint the door jams. Also, put an old set of wheels and tires on your Vette if possible.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:27 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

YES...I have a procedure when I work on one.... and the amount of time spent on PREP and CLEAN-UP..... BEFORE and AFTER it has been painted would shock most people.

No one ever stops to think about body dust getting into the HVAC/ air system UNTIL they go and turn on the fan and HUGE puff of body dust blows right in their face. That happened to me ONCE about 30 years ago and I STOP and seal off ducts to make sure I do not have to deal with that problem. Because a GOOD PAINT job often times has nothing to do with paint...but how to present the job when completed and how it should look. Raising the hood on a SWEET paint job only to find a dusty as heck engine compartment...kinda is...NOT good.

DUB
Old 02-24-2016, 10:09 PM
bosco1
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 109 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by bagger88
Ok Corvette Brothers and Sisters

I live in Alabama and I'm looking for a legit quality paint shop that knows how to work with a corvette. I'm willing to trailer it to GA, TN, MS if anybody has suggestions or who they used. I'd also be interested to know how much you paid (PM me this please) and did they do a good quality job. I've completely redone/replaced the interior so I need a great painter. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Bagger
Here's two outstanding shops.

Hillbilly Vette Shop
Auto Body Shop
Address: 5240 Highway 11 W, Kingsport, TN 37660
Phone423) 323-9494
Gary Arnold

Pro Body Shop
Auto Repair Shop
Address: 2555 Forest View Rd, Kingsport, TN 37660
Phone423) 378-9161
Tommy Church
Old 02-25-2016, 12:58 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Have you looked close to home? I would think you could find qualified painters in the Tuscaloosa-Birmingham area.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for Paint Shop in the South

Quick Reply: Looking for Paint Shop in the South