Sponsored by:

Quality tools?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 02:05 PM
mac79vette
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Quality tools?

So due to some good changes in my job I placed my beloved Corvette in storages and my tools and moved to Europe for a few years. I have now discovered a real need for some tools to keep my vehicle on the road. I was going to order some Craftsman tools but want to stay away from there new cheep made in China tools. All my in storage tools are the older quality Craftsman tools with a few Snap On mixed in. I have been looking at Craftsman Industrial, SK tools and Armstrong tools. Just need a quality Metric and SAE socket set. I am wondering who has any of these tools and there experiences or any ideas on other quality but affordable brands. So no Snap On as there are to much.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:20 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

As far as getting an OK quality set of tools in one single shot with good redundancy, varied sizing, and a solid all-around mix of things you may need, it's tough to go wrong with Craftsman.

I have a $120 set I got around the time I got my Corvette and I've been able to take care of nearly everything on the car including radiator change, ignition change, COMPLETE engine rebuild, universal joint replacement (bought a HF press for that), complete rear end rebuild, and complete rear suspension rebuild.

If I need a strange tool that I don't think I'll use that often, I'll go HF. If I break it, then I figure I needed "the good one" and pay the extra.

The ONLY time I regretted a HF purchase was their torque wrench. I was putting on my clutch assembly and got a strange reading on one of the bolts. Just didn't feel right. Then I thought to myself, "I'm putting a $6,000 engine into my $15,000 car and I saved $60 on this stupid torque wrench...and I'm having issues with it on a part that would take me a MONTH to re-tighten should something go wrong." Felt a little cheap at that moment.

So...my theory USUALLY works.

Haven't had any issues with my Craftsman, though. Still decent (enough) tools to take care of business.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:44 PM
AnthonyM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I second Craftsman, because their tools are quality enough for home garage use.

Check SlickDeals for their automotive tool sets and ratcheting wrenches which are often on sale.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:34 PM
COOLTED
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Most of my tools are Mac, but I like SK as well. I have not had good luck with newer Craftsman stuff.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:03 PM
Eric2vettes
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm using Craftsman sockets and wrenches. Broke many of their universals. I've also had problems with their torque wrenches so I replaced those with Kobalt from Lowes. I treated myself to a set of Snap-on ratchets. No more bloody knuckles.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:56 PM
asianlimodriver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mac79vette
So due to some good changes in my job I placed my beloved Corvette in storages and my tools and moved to Europe for a few years. I have now discovered a real need for some tools to keep my vehicle on the road. I was going to order some Craftsman tools but want to stay away from there new cheep made in China tools. All my in storage tools are the older quality Craftsman tools with a few Snap On mixed in. I have been looking at Craftsman Industrial, SK tools and Armstrong tools. Just need a quality Metric and SAE socket set. I am wondering who has any of these tools and there experiences or any ideas on other quality but affordable brands. So no Snap On as there are to much.
Have you tried to search Craigslist for Snap On tools? It's a hunt, but you can find some at reasonable prices.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:59 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Default A Tool Junkie

I am admittedly a tool junkie. I have lusted after Snap-On tools since I was a child and my father wouldn't let me touch his. (He kept a bucket of older generic tools in the corner of his shop he called his loaners. He never loaned his Snap-On tools because people would too often "forget" to return them.)

Since I don't make a living with my tools I have always found it hard to pay full price for the privilege of using the finest tools available and bought Snap-On tools sparingly and strategically. Today I rarely buy them off the truck and buy most of mine off of eBay. However, when I go searching for a tool, I first determine the retail price and set no more than 50% of this as the price I am willing to bid to. Today I have more Snap-On tools than my Father ever had, and he did make a living with his tools and he only bought Snap-On. And yes I do at times feel guilty about that, but I have never paid more than 50% for them on eBay.

If you are patient and persistent, you would be surprised what you can get Snap-On tools for on the auction site as well as Craigslist. I have actually bought many of them still in original, unopened packages, and many for under 50% of retail. I have only been disappointed in the condition of a tool in a couple of transactions out of many dozens. I can assure you I have less invested in my Snap-On tools than I would have spent buying the same tools at Sears.

Pawn Shops can also be a good source, but most of those in my area sell their Snap-On tools on eBay. They can get more for them and they also move them faster.

Good luck and remember, patient and persistent... GUSTO
Old 02-26-2016, 08:09 AM
golfboy
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

For me, Snap-On tools are great, but a little expensive for my taste. I have had very good experiences with Kobalt tools from Lowes. JMO.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:10 AM
Redhook98
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Armstrong is a great alternative to Snap-On. I highly recommended them. harder to find though. Craftsman does make great tools, but be careful what you buy. They do have bargain-basement Chinese crap, but also higher level tool lines as well. The "you get what you pay for " adage really is relevant when buying tools.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:22 AM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Redhook98
Craftsman...They do have bargain-basement Chinese crap...
Affirmative. When I reference Craftsman, I'm talking about the regular "Craftsman" series. Not the cheaper stuff. Unfortunately, I do not believe it is made in Amurica any more, but as far as ALTERNATIVES go, it isn't awful. I've had to replace my 3/8" ratchet handle once in 30 years and my 1/4" handle is currently a little grouchy.

It's a matter of getting as many arrows as you can in your quiver for a reasonable amount of scratch. And the tools not be made of solidified oatmeal. Those types of tools do more harm than good.

If you want to ride the line, the Craftsman PROFESSIONAL tools are quite nice. I believe they're still made in the You Ess of Aye and I've always had exceptional results if I felt compelled to purchase something from their "Professional" series.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:23 PM
mac79vette
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Being that I am currently overseas in Europe and want to stick with USA made tools I am limiting to ordering from places that ship USPS Priority mail. Amazon does this for a decent price along with Summit Racing.

I love my 20 + year old Craftsman tools but there in storage in the USA with my Corvette.

I had to do some suspension work recently and bought some made in china craftsman wrenches and what a bunch of junk. I destroyed a 17mm wrench and injured my hand on something that should not have been an issue.

I don't believe that the Craftsman professional line is still being made but has been replaced by Craftsman Industrial. Is this a good tool???

Really looking at the SK tools, looks really good, but how good? Worth the money?

I am leaning towards ordering a SK set like this
SK 94549 3/8-Inch Drive 6-Point Fractional/Metric Socket Set, 49-Piece - Socket Wrenches - Amazon.com SK 94549 3/8-Inch Drive 6-Point Fractional/Metric Socket Set, 49-Piece - Socket Wrenches - Amazon.com

And maybe trying a Armstrong ratchet.
Armstrong 11-992 3/8-Inch Drive Armstrong MAXX Standard Handle Ratchet - Drive Sockets - Amazon.com Armstrong 11-992 3/8-Inch Drive Armstrong MAXX Standard Handle Ratchet - Drive Sockets - Amazon.com
Old 02-27-2016, 08:49 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by mac79vette
Thank you all for your thoughts.

Being that I am currently overseas in Europe and want to stick with USA made tools I am limiting to ordering from places that ship USPS Priority mail. Amazon does this for a decent price along with Summit Racing.

I love my 20 + year old Craftsman tools but there in storage in the USA with my Corvette.

I had to do some suspension work recently and bought some made in china craftsman wrenches and what a bunch of junk. I destroyed a 17mm wrench and injured my hand on something that should not have been an issue.

I don't believe that the Craftsman professional line is still being made but has been replaced by Craftsman Industrial. Is this a good tool???

Really looking at the SK tools, looks really good, but how good? Worth the money?

I am leaning towards ordering a SK set like this
SK 94549 3/8-Inch Drive 6-Point Fractional/Metric Socket Set, 49-Piece - Socket Wrenches - Amazon.com

And maybe trying a Armstrong ratchet.
Armstrong 11-992 3/8-Inch Drive Armstrong MAXX Standard Handle Ratchet - Drive Sockets - Amazon.com
Seeing you are in Europe, why not save on the freight and have a look for some Stahlwille tools, they were our favoured brand here back when I was "on tools". Snap on were made of "unobtanium" here at that time, I still use a 3/8 drive Stahlwille socket set that I bought when I was a first year apprentice, it cost me over a weeks pay back then
Old 05-01-2016, 10:27 AM
dobeluvr
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know its a 1/2 drive, but it is physically smaller than the 1/2 drive impact I replaced.
I recommend the "aircat 1150". I have recommended it to guys at work that were looking.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:05 PM
skytop
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Snap On. They are the finest and most desired by professinals. Period.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:16 PM
Jeffs82c3
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 126 Posts

Craftman tools used to be a good tool, but they are made in China now... The ratchets broke on mine after one year of use....
Old 05-01-2016, 01:22 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Well lets not be a tools snob. SK has been around a long time and their quality and warranty is just as good a any major tool truck brand.
They are available at Grainger stores or online. If your military i believe they are available thru the BX.
I'd say buy what feels good in your hands,just because something is the highest price doesn't mean its the best out there. many times you pay for convienience of the tool store coming to you. Ebay or local pawn shops are an excellent source of name brand tools at discounted prices.
For reference I have Snap-on,Mac,and SK tool chests,even an el-cheapo old craftsman box at work to hold heavy tools I dont want to lug around in my line box(aviation line mechanic by trade). I have every name brand of hand tool in my inventory. Snap-on,Mac,Matco, SK,Wright,Craftsman,Husky,Kobalt and a few others. I use them all equally and they all perform the same. I will say the best pliers out there are Knipex thats the only hand tool I will suggest to you, because everything else is a matter of preference.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:32 PM
TaiChiGuy
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These days, I prefer SK. 40+ year old Craftsman Are ok. The Grainger Dayton tools up to the mid-seventies were good, don 't have experience beyond that. Snap-on & Mac are the best. If you're willing to spend the money.

Often, other brand tools can strip stubborn nuts/bolts/fittings or will "flex" and not break it loose. On more than one occasion, my quality tool has easily broken loose a partially stripped nut/bolt/fitting. In high quality tools, one can get a finer ratchet mechanism that say can engage and actually turn in say 1 degree vs 3 degrees (+ any "flexing") - invaluable in tight spaces.

What brand tools are the pros using in Europe? Remember, metric was not always around... Old mechanics maybe willing to sell their old tools... eBay as well as Amazon are in Europe and may have something to offer. Ask folks how to tap into the used European (tool) market.
Btw, ask if American eBay sellers willing to ship to Europe.

Yup, Harbor Freight tools can be found in my tools. But there are times and places to not use them.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:13 AM
68/BB
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLTED
Most of my tools are Mac, but I like SK as well. I have not had good luck with newer Craftsman stuff.
Ditto. But I have mostly older SK with quite a few Mac and a sprinkling of Snap On in the more common sizes that get the most use. Older Craftsman is decent and some newer if you are selective in what you purchase. Seems like a lot of the Craftsman tools are either mediocre or not good anymore. Those become the "loaner" tools.

Get notified of new replies

To Quality tools?

Quick Reply: Quality tools?