Sponsored by:

78 Ignition lock broken Starts with no key

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 05:15 PM
dobedave
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 78 Ignition lock broken Starts with no key

I started the car as usual when I went to turn it off I pushed down on the lever as I always did to remove the key & wouldn't come out.I worked with it for 20 minutes and finally I had to pry the key out with a small screwdriver. Now It will start without a key how much trouble is it to replace the ignition switch?
Old 03-02-2016, 01:53 AM
dobedave
Instructor

Default Has anyone changed a 78 Ignition key lock?

I don't know how that happened the key wouldn't come out now it don't need a key, I guess this hasn't happened to anyone else on a 78.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:22 AM
Brewzer1818
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you turned the lock past off to the lock position, you can remove the key and the ignition will still function. The key can be removed in any position except the final lock position and still operate ignition

You can also lock the ignition by turning it past off without key in ignition and it should lock the switch.
Just discovered this on my 78 last week and it. Kind of freaked me out.

Last edited by Brewzer1818; 03-02-2016 at 02:22 AM.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:44 AM
dobedave
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brewzer1818
Unless you turned the lock past off to the lock position, you can remove the key and the ignition will still function. The key can be removed in any position except the final lock position and still operate ignition

You can also lock the ignition by turning it past off without key in ignition and it should lock the switch.
Just discovered this on my 78 last week and it. Kind of freaked me out.
I tried to remove the key in all positions and it would not come out holding lever down I think I ruined it prying the key out with a small screwdriver.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:54 AM
Brewzer1818
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe a graphite Lube and check the key for burs.
Hope you get it figured out. If not it sounds like replacing ignition switch is not to difficult.
Good luck
Old 03-02-2016, 11:17 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by dobedave
I started the car as usual when I went to turn it off I pushed down on the lever as I always did to remove the key & wouldn't come out.I worked with it for 20 minutes and finally I had to pry the key out with a small screwdriver. Now It will start without a key how much trouble is it to replace the ignition switch?
Dave, do a search on this Forum or the C3 Tech/Performance Forum for Jim Shea and you will get a plethora of threads that he has contributed to. He is definitely the steering column guru here and has written numerous papers on all facets, from R&R'ing to refurbishing these columns.

Good luck... GUSTO
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
C3 Tilt-Tele column disassem.pdf (824.9 KB, 129 views)
The following users liked this post:
dobedave (03-02-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 08:32 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

You didn't mention the type of steering column in your 1978 Vette. I will assume that you had a Tilt & Telescoping type since by 1978 most Corvettes had the T&T type column.
Now, one other thing, let's get our terminology correct.
1. The ignition switch is mounted on the steering column jacket, down under the dash. This made General Motors vehicles much harder to "hot wire" since the steering column has to be dropped down from the dash to reach the switch.
2. The ignition lock cylinder is the part where you stick your key. This is most likely the part that needs to be replaced since you mentioned the problem most likely occurred after you had to pry your key out of the lock cylinder. The lock cylinder is connected to the ignition switch by means of a rod that extends down from the steering column head to the switch.

Replacing the lock cylinder can be accomplished without dropping or removing the steering column from the car. You will need to purchase or borrow a couple tools to make the job much easier. They are described in the following papers and pics. They will walk you through the lock cylinder replacement procedure:
http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?p=1004
http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?p=1009

Jim Shea
Old 11-26-2019, 09:38 PM
78Lover
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1978 Corvette that I had to have tow truck back my car into my garage . Now I can’t rotate the ignition to the lock position to remove the key.

Get notified of new replies

To 78 Ignition lock broken Starts with no key

Quick Reply: 78 Ignition lock broken Starts with no key