Old 03-24-2016, 05:30 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,753 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Default My '71 Resto-Mod Project

To set the scene, ever since we started dating my wife has admired what I do with cars (fixing, modifying, painting, racing, etc.). She would come with me to the track and was always a big help changing tires, checking pressures, and of course riding when she could. When the C4 became a full time track car she was sad because we could no longer take it on dates or enjoy it on the street anymore. We talked about one day getting a project that she could help me with so she could learn and we could have a fun street toy again. The last few years I have done nothing but watch the race car collect dust. Buying a house and having a kid tend to make you put your priorities in order. With that said I am always browsing for C3's, since I have wanted to build a C3 since I was about 12 years old, but never really serious.

September of 2015 I went to look at a local C3, 1971 number matching 4-speed coupe, that seemed to be in pretty good shape. It had been sitting for 31 years! The previous owner parked it in 1984 with plans to restore the car. He stripped most of the paint off down to the primer and then stopped. Thats how it sat in his garage all that time. It was all complete with the exception of the items he took off to strip the paint (bumpers, lights, emblems). My wife gave me permission to buy it with only 2 rules. 1. It was NOT to become a race car! and 2. She had to help. I am not allowed to work on it by myself. SOLD! I got the car for $7,500. The frame is very solid with only minor signs of surface rust, and the birdcage looks great. There is still black paint on most of the brake lines and fuel lines. Considering it had about 96K miles before being parked it was well taken care of. The seats are a little rough, but the dash is in great shape and all the gauges look good.

Here is the family on the day we picked it up:

Since my wife and I both work, we do not have much time where we both are able to be in the garage and not have to watch the kid. So a couple nights a week we go out and tinker while the kid is asleep. The first thing we did was pull the plugs and spray some WD-40 into the cylinders. I let it sit for a few days to see if I could get it to turn over by hand. Sure enough it did! It did not seem to difficult either. Next drained the old fuel, blew out the fuel lines, rebuilt the carb, replaced the plugs, adjusted the points, changed the oil and filter, primed the engine and hit the key. After a few seconds of cranking to let the fuel fill the carb it fired right up!

Here it is running for the first time in 31 years:

The tires on it were old and shot, but I drove it a few times before parking it because I wanted to enjoy it a bit before taking it apart come winter. I work about 5 miles from my house so I drove it to work a handful of times.

Here are some pictures of some things we have done since bringing it home. The end goal would be some sort of resto-mod/L88 race car street replica. I think it is going to end up blue with a silver Baldwin Motion type stripe over the top/back, L88 flares and hood, and 2 tone white and black interior. I will be adding to this thread as things happen but it may take some time (see rules for buying the car above) but should be a fun journey with my wife helping!

Setting foot in its new home:

Carb rebuild:

Got the bumpers back on so I could drive it a litte:

Engine:

Interior:

Future Owner:
Old 03-24-2016, 05:41 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Default vette

Your family looks very happy standing in front of your new project. Interior looks pretty good and the car is now running. Sounds good. Keep the pictures coming and I like the work schedule, baby sleeps mom & dad work.

RVZIO
Old 03-24-2016, 05:45 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

One of the first thing I did was converted the stock tail light housings to accept a LED halo. I also was able to keep the center two lights as backup lights and run the halos with the parking lights.

Halos as running lights:

Backup lights:

Brake lights:

While crawling under the car I noticed the mufflers sounded like moraccas when I would bump them. Sure enough they had a bunch of rust collected in them. This is from 1 of the mufflers:

My ultimate goal is to put sidepipes on the car so I didn't want to spend a lot on exhaust right now. I opted to try the Summit brand Flowmaster knock off mufflers. They are the Street/Strip chamber muffler. At $30 each how could I go wrong? To me they sound almost exactly like a Flowmaster but without the price tag.

I posted this video on Facebook and a friend of mine said, "Hey if you want sidepipes I have some I'll sell you cheap". So for $350 I have those ready to be put on. Actually the tubes and mufflers are in the for sale section since I also got a good deal on chrome tubes to replace the black, but I am keeping the black headers for now.

Again, when my wife and I have time, we are working on prepping a nice little 327ci I got for free. The numbers matching 350/270hp will go off to the side and this will be fun for now. I have a 408ci small block shortblock that I plan to build up to make big power but the 327ci will be fun for now! It has 11.5:1 compression, 186 2.02 intake valve double hump heads, high rise dual plane intake, and 30-30 cam. Not a monster, but should be fun to mess with.

Since the tires were so old and I needed to get new ones, I also go some new wheels. They are US Mags Indy U101 15x10 all around. They stick out a bit now, but will look good with the flares.

Thats about it for now. Hopefully this build doesn't move so slow you guys lose interest. Thanks for looking and hope you enjoy the journey with me!

Here are some pictures of the car at a small car show my work had right after I bought the car. I work for Bridgestone and my car ended up in front of the Harvey Firestone statue outside. I thought it was pretty cool.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:46 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rvzio
Your family looks very happy standing in front of your new project. Interior looks pretty good and the car is now running. Sounds good. Keep the pictures coming and I like the work schedule, baby sleeps mom & dad work.

RVZIO
Thanks! I will try to take all the pictures I can. The last couple months my wife's parents have been needed some extra attention so things are at a stand still at the moment, but I will update as often as I can, and even share ideas I am having as they come along.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:16 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Wow, the car looks really good. Having the interior in decent shape will save you a ton of time and money.
It's great your wife wants in on the project and is interested in it. These things are no fun if you don't have the support of your spouse and you certainly do. So cheers to her!
Keep us posted on your progress. I'm looking forward to seeing another flared vette come to life.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:22 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,174 Likes on 2,736 Posts

Slow Down........or your project will be finished before mine!

Keep us updated each time progress is made.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:03 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by brent319
Wow, the car looks really good. Having the interior in decent shape will save you a ton of time and money.
It's great your wife wants in on the project and is interested in it. These things are no fun if you don't have the support of your spouse and you certainly do. So cheers to her!
Keep us posted on your progress. I'm looking forward to seeing another flared vette come to life.
Thanks. I think the previous owner shot himself in the foot by taking the paint off. The car doesn't photograph well and looked pretty beat in the online ad, but when I went to look at it I knew it was solid. It was for sale for about 3 months before I found it.

My wife has definitely been great! I wouldn't be able to play with this or the racecar without her support and understanding.

Your car is a really nicely flared one! You have the Custom Image parts correct? I think I'm going to make my own and see how they come out.

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Slow Down........or your project will be finished before mine!

Keep us updated each time progress is made.

The only thing I have done since September is put the bumpers on and the LEDs. I don't think I'll pass you up anytime soon!
Old 03-24-2016, 07:08 PM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

I always wanted to start a build thread over the past 3 or so years, but never got around to it. Similar boat over here in Brunswick, 2 young kids and limited time to work on the car, however the wife doesn't really have much interest (she loves our annual trip to Night Under Fire and going to the track though).

Anyway, if and when we ever get these cars done we should definitely meet up sometime. I know there are a handful of other NE Ohio members, we could maybe put something together.

Car looks great, good luck!
Old 03-24-2016, 07:20 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
I always wanted to start a build thread over the past 3 or so years, but never got around to it. Similar boat over here in Brunswick, 2 young kids and limited time to work on the car, however the wife doesn't really have much interest (she loves our annual trip to Night Under Fire and going to the track though).
I didn't want to start one at first because I knew it would be slow moving. However, I have seen several other moving at a similar and the guys on here still seemed to like the build threads so I started one anyway.

Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
Anyway, if and when we ever get these cars done we should definitely meet up sometime. I know there are a handful of other NE Ohio members, we could maybe put something together.

Car looks great, good luck!
That is a very good idea! It would be cool to meet some of the members even if we don't bring the vettes.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:20 AM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

Received 959 Likes on 596 Posts

Another good 71 project to watch.

Been sitting a long while and now has a future.

Lots of good ideas so will be eagerly watching to see how it progresses.

Last edited by CraigH; 03-25-2016 at 05:22 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:54 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CraigH
Another good 71 project to watch.

Been sitting a long while and now has a future.

Lots of good ideas so will be eagerly watching to see how it progresses.
Wow! What a fantastic job you did on yours!
The following users liked this post:
CraigH (07-17-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 11:12 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Congratulations!!!

Congratulations on a great find!!!

Great story and super photos too!!!

All the best to you and family and enjoy the youngster, unfortunately they grow up all too soon!
Old 03-25-2016, 01:03 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 20mercury
Congratulations on a great find!!!

Great story and super photos too!!!

All the best to you and family and enjoy the youngster, unfortunately they grow up all too soon!
Thank you!

You know people told us that when we first had him and I didn't know how true it was! He will be 2 years old in May and it feels like we just brought him home from the hospital!
Old 03-25-2016, 09:56 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,289 Likes on 3,918 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Kubs
Thank you!

You know people told us that when we first had him and I didn't know how true it was! He will be 2 years old in May and it feels like we just brought him home from the hospital!
Congrats on the loving family and awesome find on the car. We all should be as lucky as you. While your boy is small you should pull off the headliner and have him put a handprint with the date on the roof. Then when he grows up and wants the car you can show him its already his.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rescue Rogers:
Andy Tuttle (03-26-2016), Kubs (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 11:09 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
Congrats on the loving family and awesome find on the car. We all should be as lucky as you. While your boy is small you should pull off the headliner and have him put a handprint with the date on the roof. Then when he grows up and wants the car you can show him its already his.
Thank you for the kind words, and what an excellent idea!!!
Old 03-26-2016, 12:01 AM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

I like that idea a lot!
I had to wait until my kids were grown and out of the house before I finally got mine, so you are way ahead of me already. :-)
Old 03-26-2016, 12:35 AM
Andy Tuttle
Melting Slicks

Received 392 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
Thanks for sharing such a cool idea!

Get notified of new replies

To My '71 Resto-Mod Project

Old 03-26-2016, 12:50 AM
Andy Tuttle
Melting Slicks

Received 392 Likes on 340 Posts

Kubs - thought I had posted last night, but apparently something messed up and it didn't get on. I will blame it on my daughter using the internet. LOL. Anyway, so glad to see you joining us! Tremendous to have the entire family involved! Won't be long til your son is out there in the garage with you too. Getting greasy is the way to go! Now, the car - WOW having it run - PRICELESS! You will enjoy the project all the more. It will be a few years before I get to do that and it came to in baskets and in a horse trailer! Keep us posted with pics - put the family on too! Blessings!
Old 03-26-2016, 12:52 AM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Thumbs up
Old 03-26-2016, 11:31 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Andy Tuttle
Kubs - thought I had posted last night, but apparently something messed up and it didn't get on. I will blame it on my daughter using the internet. LOL. Anyway, so glad to see you joining us! Tremendous to have the entire family involved! Won't be long til your son is out there in the garage with you too. Getting greasy is the way to go! Now, the car - WOW having it run - PRICELESS! You will enjoy the project all the more. It will be a few years before I get to do that and it came to in baskets and in a horse trailer! Keep us posted with pics - put the family on too! Blessings!
Yeah hearing it run knowing it was asleep for so long was a great feeling! I have to give you credit for tackling a project like that. I looked at several that were in boxes and pieces all over and wanted to find something more together. I know I'm going to get a lot of grief from some people for modifying a numbers matching car, but it is nothing special. It's not and LT1, it's not a rare big block, etc it's just a base low option car. It was the perfect blank template for me. And knowing it is complete means I can drive it here and there in between build stages.

Last edited by Kubs; 03-26-2016 at 11:32 AM.

Quick Reply: My '71 Resto-Mod Project