Sponsored by:

1974 Convertible Barn Find

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 07:39 PM
jl_shaver
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1974 Convertible Barn Find

Not a true barn find, it's never been lost but a '74 convertible that has been in a barn for 30 years that I am considering selling. There's a local guy interested but neither of us have any idea of a fair price. It has ~50k miles, L82 engine and close ratio 4 speed with deluxe leather interior, power windows, tilt/telescopic steering wheel all of the goodies. I am the 2nd owner, I bought the car in 1977 and put it away in the early eighties. It's out of the barn now, we've turned the engine by hand and it turns over, and taken out the carpet and cleaned the interior to get rid of the damp and mold.

I'm not looking for an offer just information on any similar cars that have been sold as barn finds. I am already doing a 68 convertible and neither the time or resources to do both, if I can't get anything for this, I'll put it back in the barn for the next generation...

Dry storage it was in the hayloft

The following users liked this post:
Curt Corwin (04-12-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 08:05 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

You're going to have a tough time, finding a similar price on what you're showing us here. That's a pretty rare C3. While there are no production numbers for how many Dark Metallic Brown Corvettes they produced, you only have to look at the equally strange and rarely seen 1975 Bright Green C3's and they only painted 1,664 of those, so a 1974, Dark Metallic Brown, Convertible, with the L82 and a four speed is going to be pretty scarce.

I own a Dark Metallic Brown 1974 and in all the years, living in Southern California as a car buff/gearhead, I've only personally seen TWO! A couple of things to ascertain, first is birdcage rust and the condition of the undercarriage, whether or not, it's all rusted or not from sitting in the barn. Pictures of that, would be highly helpful, as well as more pics of the engine compartment, front and rear of the car as well. I'd also like to know where you're located at?

As a comparison, nice 1975 Bright Green Convertible C3's, with similar options are going for about $15K, but these are fully driveable and ready to go. This is going to need at the very least a carpet kit and door panel inserts at the minimum. If there was no rust or serious undercarriage rot, I'd say roughly $8k. If I could have it inspected, I'd possibly be interested in it, depending on your location and how far I'd have to transport it.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:22 PM
jl_shaver
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by F22
You're going to have a tough time, finding a similar price on what you're showing us here. That's a pretty rare C3. While there are no production numbers for how many Dark Metallic Brown Corvettes they produced, you only have to look at the equally strange and rarely seen 1975 Bright Green C3's and they only painted 1,664 of those, so a 1974, Dark Metallic Brown, Convertible, with the L82 and a four speed is going to be pretty scarce.

I own a Dark Metallic Brown 1974 and in all the years, living in Southern California as a car buff/gearhead, I've only personally seen TWO! A couple of things to ascertain, first is birdcage rust and the condition of the undercarriage, whether or not, it's all rusted or not from sitting in the barn. Pictures of that, would be highly helpful, as well as more pics of the engine compartment, front and rear of the car as well. I'd also like to know where you're located at?

As a comparison, nice 1975 Bright Green Convertible C3's, with similar options are going for about $15K, but these are fully driveable and ready to go. This is going to need at the very least a carpet kit and door panel inserts at the minimum. If there was no rust or serious undercarriage rot, I'd say roughly $8k. If I could have it inspected, I'd possibly be interested in it, depending on your location and how far I'd have to transport it.
Thanks for the feedback, I will post some other pictures once I get them. The car is located in Upstate NY, my brother runs a large RV service center and we have moved it there. I'm in Sydney Australia.

The paint is really rough, the front and rear bumper covers have deteriorated, carpets, center console and door panels will definitely have to be replaced, we removed and treated the seats and they've come up pretty nice.

I've only seen one other brown '74 convertible, and it was the base model. My thinking was somewhere between $8k to $10k too, I hate to lose it but life is two short to do two...
Old 04-06-2016, 08:44 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by F22

I'd like to find a Bright Green running Conv for 15 k
Old 04-07-2016, 09:34 AM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

I bought this 74 3 years ago at Carlyle, with less than 5,000 miles om it.. The owner died and his wife left it in the garage untouched for 33 years. It needed a lot of work like bumpers paint etc, but nothing like have an almost new vert. Has 15,000 miles on it now.
The following 3 users liked this post by red topless gator:
Curt Corwin (04-12-2016), H P Bushrod (04-09-2016), jl_shaver (04-08-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 10:18 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by red topless gator
I bought this 74 3 years ago at Carlyle, with less than 5,000 miles om it.. The owner died and his wife left it in the garage untouched for 33 years. It needed a lot of work like bumpers paint etc, but nothing like have an almost new vert. Has 15,000 miles on it now.

Nice! I've only seen two coupes, haven't seen a 'vert yet and I'd bet that you might've seen one or none! I like the Dark Metallic Brown. A year or two ago, one of the forum members had a '74, BB, 4 speed, convertible in DMB and they wanted to paint it red!

I talked them out of it (Thank God!) and got them to realize that what they had was very, very rare. I doubt they made even a hundred with that build.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:11 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by F22

Nice! I've only seen two coupes, haven't seen a 'vert yet and I'd bet that you might've seen one or none! I like the Dark Metallic Brown. A year or two ago, one of the forum members had a '74, BB, 4 speed, convertible in DMB and they wanted to paint it red!

I talked them out of it (Thank God!) and got them to realize that what they had was very, very rare. I doubt they made even a hundred with that build.
I don't doubt that number for a minute, however you do realize there is a logical reason for that...

Having said that a friend bought one new in the spring of '74 when we all showed up at flight training together. I think he bought it because the dealer had it on the lot and he wanted a convertible and didn't want to wait for them to order one.

In my personal view a low mileage, good condition '74 convertible is a joy to see, regardless of it's color!

Good luck with the sale jl... GUSTO

Last edited by GUSTO14; 04-07-2016 at 02:11 PM.
jl_shaver (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 10:30 PM
jl_shaver
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by red topless gator
Beautiful
Old 04-09-2016, 10:29 AM
Tooch1
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by jl_shaver
Beautiful
FWIW, I was watching Barret Jackson yesterday and a 74 Blue Convertible L82 (pretty sure it was an automatic) NCRS Top Flight sold for $17,500.00
What a really nice rare color 74 you have there. You shouldnt have any trouble selling it for what you were thinking. I don't see the sidepipes in the barn, did you remove them and replace with original exhaust?
Regards,
Jimmy
Old 04-09-2016, 02:03 PM
TMU
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '15, '17

If you haven't yet check Ebay completed auctions, there are quite a few 74-75 verts in the spectrum of conditions. While the L82 4sp is a nice value add I would not put too much stock in the color effecting price; rare does not always equal more desirable.

Will be cool when its back on the road again!
Old 04-09-2016, 08:31 PM
jl_shaver
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Tooch1
FWIW, I was watching Barret Jackson yesterday and a 74 Blue Convertible L82 (pretty sure it was an automatic) NCRS Top Flight sold for $17,500.00
What a really nice rare color 74 you have there. You shouldnt have any trouble selling it for what you were thinking. I don't see the sidepipes in the barn, did you remove them and replace with original exhaust?
Regards,
Jimmy
The car in the picture is not the car in the barn, it was posted by another poster as an example of what you can make a barn find look like.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:42 PM
jl_shaver
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by TMU
If you haven't yet check Ebay completed auctions, there are quite a few 74-75 verts in the spectrum of conditions. While the L82 4sp is a nice value add I would not put too much stock in the color effecting price; rare does not always equal more desirable.

Will be cool when its back on the road again!
Thanks, it has the potential to be a very unusual C3, and with the options a very comfortable day cruiser.

I've been following corvette prices since I was 14 years old, and it'll only be worth what someone is willing to pay. I plan on being pretty realistic with the price, my brother has worked in the industry for 40 years so we have a reasonable view on what it'll take to get it back on the road.

I've got a number in my head, it's pretty close to what I might write off if anyone in my extended family is looking for a project. That's why I am looking for opinions on value and not offering it for sale at this point in time.

Thanks for the feedback
Old 04-11-2016, 12:02 AM
71scgc
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

Brown was big back then. Every carmaker had several browns. Porsche has used something like 18 different browns on 911s since introduction. It's said that Dr. Porsche's personal car was brown.
That said, brown is just a "slow" color to me. I didn't like it on sport cars back then.

I like it now. It's probably the most "period correct" color you could ever have on a 70s car.
The brown on the 74's is a very attractive brown.

Carter

And I'm at 8-10 condition dependent as well. L-82 and 4spd are big plusses.
jl_shaver (04-11-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To 1974 Convertible Barn Find

Quick Reply: 1974 Convertible Barn Find