Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flame sticker-decals on your vette?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 05:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Getting decals off of paint is not a problem if you know how to do it correctly.

YES...once a decal has been applied and allowed to stay there...there is the chance that if that area is hit by sunlight....it can change the color.

I can 'say' that these flames are NOT my version of 'traditional'...they have influences of 'tribal' in them...which is all a matter of a person taste. For me when it comes to laying out flames...keeping with a specific 'type' is important to keep the 'flow' going how I want it. Changing up to 'tribal' or 'real flame' look with the old school 'traditional' can look really screwed up (in my opinion)...kinda like changing the fonts of letters and getting them all different...it gets hard to read...and can almost being to look ugly.

This is what I think of when 'traditional ' flames are requested.
http://www.blogto.com/upload/2013/02...rag_flames.jpg

If I were to do this to my car...i would strictly have the outlines of the flames be used...so it would not be to noticeable. There is an awful lot of red in these flames for my taste...if me tryign to keep the fames ...somewhat 'stealth'....BUT

Its your car and if you are HAPPY....go for it!

DUB
Old 05-02-2016, 10:25 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Getting decals off of paint is not a problem if you know how to do it correctly.

YES...once a decal has been applied and allowed to stay there...there is the chance that if that area is hit by sunlight....it can change the color.

I can 'say' that these flames are NOT my version of 'traditional'...they have influences of 'tribal' in them...which is all a matter of a person taste. For me when it comes to laying out flames...keeping with a specific 'type' is important to keep the 'flow' going how I want it. Changing up to 'tribal' or 'real flame' look with the old school 'traditional' can look really screwed up (in my opinion)...kinda like changing the fonts of letters and getting them all different...it gets hard to read...and can almost being to look ugly.

If I were to do this to my car...i would strictly have the outlines of the flames be used...so it would not be to noticeable. There is an awful lot of red in these flames for my taste...if me tryign to keep the fames ...somewhat 'stealth'....BUT

DUB
Thanks..Not sure whatnell 'tribal' means..FWIW..the vinyl stickers are 18" and I will shorten them to about 16" length..they will stay in the fender recesses and not extend to the door nor will they be on the metalflake silver paint above the sight line.....The critters are installed with backing first removed and then flame squeegied on and then the top covering removed.. go to westonink.com for simple install instructions..jim

Last edited by jim in oregon; 05-02-2016 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:18 PM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

It seems apparent that you have decided to go ahead with the flames so I guess everyone can stop flaming you! Like I said - your car, your choice.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:47 AM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Putting flames on your car would be the most Oregon thing you could do to it.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:02 AM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

Those flames remind me of some that we had on one of the first racing karts....Here is a pic with 3 generations at the track.

Brian
Old 05-03-2016, 01:09 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Well..Not exactly like the vintage '78 is an "A" gasser..with it's auto thm350 tranny and L48 350 engine with headers..
gotta think about the fellows who first did customized paint and engine-body work on the vintage cars of last century..Probably had a few who appreciated their creativity and more who thot they were over the top..or tasteless..

difficult to know exactly how the flames will look once installed..I think the red and silver outlines will look good..and the red will be good acompanyment to the crossed flag emblems above.., Haven't applied them yet..still thinking about it..
Have a friend who has a lift and IF/WHEN I do apply them will do it with the car elevatedso I can get them on straight and centered in the recessed area of the front fenders..Jim
Old 05-03-2016, 03:22 PM
Madhatr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jim in oregon
Thanks..Not sure whatnell 'tribal' means..FWIW..the vinyl stickers are 18" and I will shorten them to about 16" length..they will stay in the fender recesses and not extend to the door nor will they be on the metalflake silver paint above the sight line.....The critters are installed with backing first removed and then flame squeegied on and then the top covering removed.. go to westonink.com for simple install instructions..jim
I was going to start a dissertation on flame styles, but then read it again and realized what was going on

I however would agree with DUB. If I were to do it it would be pinstripe flames on that paint scheme...and that comes from someone who has one of the most 'tasteless' C3's on the forum.

...It is your car, enjoy it!

Last edited by Madhatr; 05-03-2016 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:55 PM
DUB
Race Director

This is what 'tribal' flames look like. Completely different than 'traditional' flames.

http://www.westonsigns.com/images/P/...INFBLUE-01.jpg

This is what 'traditional' flames look like...in case you did not look at my previous link.

http://www.rtagraphics.com/images/product/flames_8.jpg

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 05-03-2016 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:09 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

I think traditional flames(red/yellow/orange)would look O.K. on a modifies car, with flares, wide tires, side pipes, etc., but on anything else, very cheesy, AutoZone look.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:36 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DUB

DUB
Dub.."Getting decals off of paint is not a problem if you know how to do it correctly."
Can you elaborate on the removal of vinyl stickers?
I'm still thinking about the red w silver accent flames for the '78..thx, Jim
Old 05-04-2016, 04:49 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Funny coincidence, I am cutting vinyl letters in my shop as I type this. I have been doing signs and vinyl letters off and on for over twenty years, and to be honest, I just get a fingernail under there to get started.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:51 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Richard Daugird
Funny coincidence, I am cutting vinyl letters in my shop as I type this. I have been doing signs and vinyl letters off and on for over twenty years, and to be honest, I just get a fingernail under there to get started.
Hmmm. is the application of mild warm air like from a hair dryer helpful?Jim
Old 05-04-2016, 05:17 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

No, in my experience it isn't necessary.

But in all seriousness, I REALLY REALLY don't think you will like the flames.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:12 PM
DUB
Race Director

The TYPE of adhesive that is on the decals you have is UNKNOWN to me. Not knowing how aggressive the adhesive is makes a difference in how it gets removed

So...simply peeling them off as previously mentioned is POSSIBLE....OR...if the adhesive is like the stickers that we all put on our license plates for the state...which is WICKED as all get out...then the use of heat and or the special eraser that will remove them without damaging the paint.

Heat is what I generally use to remove large decals....and then it is using the 3M adhesive remover to remove any adhesive that stayed behind on the panel. Using a hair drier may work...but honestly, I have a good heat gun and know how far to be away from the panel and feel it when I am warming it up and testing to see when the decal is ready to be removed.

AND...if you DO remove a decal. DO NOT LIFT UP on the decal when you are removing it....ALWAYS peel it back ONTO itself!!!!!! If you lift up on the decal...the chance that paint can be pulled UP and off the panel is possible because you are PULLING up while removing the decal. IF you pull the decal back onto itself...this problem of lifting paint is GREATLY reduced.

DUB
Old 05-04-2016, 06:15 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Dub is spot on as always. Do really think this will look good? I'd recommend a photoshop rendering first, that's a nice car, and I have seen paint damaged removing vinyl.
The following users liked this post:
DUB (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 06:31 PM
DUB
Race Director

Back in post #3...I had mentioned to the owner to put the flames up on the car ...using something that would allow them to be easily removed and make sure that when they look at them...they LOVE it...BEFORE they get applied.

As I also wrote in a past post....I would only put an outlined 'traditional' flame on this car if it were mine and I just had to do it...that way the narrow outline (1/16") would be there...but NOT in your face. They would be subtle...because sometimes..."LESS IS MORE"....especially in this type of scenario when dealing with a great looking factory looking car. No need to draw immediate attention to that area.....in my opinion....which actually means NOTHING because it is not my car.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 05-04-2016 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:50 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

well, I do appreciate all you folks input..at cost of 20.00 & free shipping..Maybe I'll put them on my 2005 Silver KIA Sorento...Already have a window sticker on that car that says'NO..I will not be your facebook friend"..jim

Get notified of new replies

To Flame sticker-decals on your vette?

Old 05-04-2016, 11:59 PM
Raltbob
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flames

Yes there is alays the small risk that the paint beneath such decal-stickers will not age quite like the rest of the paint..
Seein' as how these flames would go in the below sight line in the recessed area painted metallic grey of the front fenders..Not sure that'd be an issue.
.And yes..I'll think long and hard about whether they go on at all..
Thanks for your thots and input..BTW.these are not auto zone quality stickers..Top shelf 6 year outdoor rated..Jim
here's a link to what's coming..
Traditional Style Flame Decals Red 18" Reflective FL09 | eBay
I bought an 82 CE with the flames painted on the sides and I wished it didn't have them. They look ok but it's not the way it came.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:52 AM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

well, I do appreciate all you folks input..at cost of 20.00 & free shipping..Maybe I'll put them on my 2005 Silver KIA Sorento...Already have a window sticker on that car that says'NO..I will not be your facebook friend"..jim
That sounds like a great idea.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:25 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Not trying to be offensive dont do it your car will look like someone over the border got ahold of it. Really

Flames are for Tbuckets and hotwheels

Last edited by cv67; 05-05-2016 at 11:26 AM.