73 radio upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 06:35 PM
FastLane73
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 73 radio upgrade

Hi everyone,
Deciding to upgrade the old original radio to something new. I prefer the original look, don't want to go with a new DIN style, and don't really want a "classic" radio that doesn't look right. I'd like to keep away from a lot extra amps and subwoofers, etc. I will replace the original dash speakers, might add kick panels, and will be building a box to add a pair of 6x9 in the rear and tuck it out of sight (for the most part.) I found a radio I like on one of the more well known corvette parts websites listen as a "Corvette AM/FM/iPod Stereo, Reproduction, 1968-1976", "Part #25-245687-1" on sale through today. Anyone have any experience with this radio?
Thanks for input.
Ted
Old 05-01-2016, 01:11 AM
tpfarm
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

You might want to look up "Custom Auto Sound" they may have what you are looking for. I purchased one from them for my '73 and fit was perfect. I am not big on radios, just wanted something that looked good and sounded ok ,I'm just using two kick panel speakers and they
sound a little tinny.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:31 AM
FastLane73
Intermediate

Thanks tpfarm. I guess I am still considering the Custom Auto Sound or the RetroSound radios but I have not seen any strong reviews for either. Considering I don't know the manufacturer or details about the one I am looking for and can't return it make me nervous. I was hoping to keep an "original" look to the car if nothing else I guess because I just like the way the stock Delco radio looks.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:32 AM
D_Williams
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I think the most "original" looking new radio is made by Antique Automobile Radio, but it's kinda pricy.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:24 PM
jward486
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Retro Sound

I bought a Retro Sound for my 73. I'm no radio expert. I wanted a replacement for my old radio that didn't work. I like the look and so far I am happy with it. I am using Polk speakers in front and 6x9's in the back. I usually don't have the radio on as I like to listen to the car itself.
Attached Images   
Old 05-02-2016, 11:00 PM
FastLane73
Intermediate

Originally Posted by D_Williams
I think the most "original" looking new radio is made by Antique Automobile Radio, but it's kinda pricy.
Yes, very expensive. That is the one to have, but for $200 less I may have to go with the RetroSound Model Two. Seems to have strong favorable reviews on Crutchfield.com.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:02 PM
FastLane73
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jward486
I bought a Retro Sound for my 73. I'm no radio expert. I wanted a replacement for my old radio that didn't work. I like the look and so far I am happy with it. I am using Polk speakers in front and 6x9's in the back. I usually don't have the radio on as I like to listen to the car itself.
Very nice. Thanks for the reply!
Old 05-03-2016, 06:15 AM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

Do you want to sale the old radio....?

Brian
Old 05-03-2016, 08:15 AM
FastLane73
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Wee
Do you want to sale the old radio....?

Brian
Thanks for the interest Brian, but no, keeping the original so I can always put it back in if i wanted to do so. Pretty sure I saw a few on Ebay recently while I was searching for replacement radios.
Ted

Get notified of new replies

To 73 radio upgrade

Quick Reply: 73 radio upgrade