Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for advice on purchasing first vette

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 01:44 PM
69Pman
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Would like to see better pics of the door alignments. From pictures #5 and #6, it looks as though there may be some adjustment necessary. Albeit, the car wasn't made yesterday and it could be the angle of the pic, it might be something that is linked to other trim pieces not being installed properly.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:01 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Bhebert449
I wonder if an oem style air cleaner will fit? Thinking they went with thinner style due to hood clearance?
Doesn't look like a stock 454 intake manifold, may have raised the height of the carb. A factory air cleaner has a dropped base, the base sits lower on the carb allowing for a taller element without raising the top of the air cleaner.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:17 PM
Bhebert449
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

http://http://www.zip-corvette.com/68-82-c3/headlights-lamps/corvette-headlight-components/68-69e-headlamp-plastic-rock-shields.html
Originally Posted by Revi
It's also missing the black front air dam, this usually causes the car to run hot.

FYI - the steering wheel and shifter are after market replacements. It's also missing the black plastic shields that cover the headlights when retracted.
http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...late-1972.html

Are these the shields that cover the headlamps when down?

http://www.zip-corvette.com/68-82-c3/headlights-lamps/corvette-headlight-components/68-69e-headlamp-plastic-rock-shields.html

Last edited by Bhebert449; 05-01-2016 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:37 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Bh,
Yes.
It seems they were used to protect the headlamps from stones and also hid the lamps when they were closed.
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-01-2016, 05:46 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,278 Likes on 3,915 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Heres some pricing on the east coast
http://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/cto/5545207269.html
http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/5548787833.html
http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/5541816411.html

I think 28 is high, srart at 22 and find a meeting point as long as the rust doesnt exist
Old 05-01-2016, 07:23 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by ddawson
It's really work looking at. Remember to check for the rust.

The air cleaner is really thin and will effect performance and the fuel line was cheaply done.

Yikes, no "good" mech would use rubber fuel lines and cheap clear filter on the engine

The front grills look way off to me as well.

For $28K I would expect a no issues car.
I am glad someone mentioned rust, the OP needs to look at the sticky on buying a c3 the possible rust issues

Last edited by The13Bats; 05-01-2016 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:30 PM
Bhebert449
Pro

just returned from looking at the car. Car has been repainted which I expected but it appears to have been a lower quality job. The fit and finish of the body was off which many of you pointed out. Looks like car was not masked off well either.

He put the car on a lift and showed me some suspension parts and wheel bearings have been replaced. A lot of surface rust but no obvious rotting. Transmission has a leak. Was told seals are easy to replace. Oil pan had been struck (bottoming out) and repaired with some kind of jb weld filler.

Car drove well. Did not like the Hurst shifter. Tach needle is broken off and some small interior trim fit and finish issues.

I know this is a 40 year old car but I'm looking for something better. I'm going to keep looking. Thanks for all of the feedback!
Old 05-01-2016, 08:56 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

just returned from looking at the car. Car has been repainted which I expected but it appears to have been a lower quality job. The fit and finish of the body was off which many of you pointed out. Looks like car was not masked off well either.

sounds like a mech wants to do a quick flip

He put the car on a lift and showed me some suspension parts and wheel bearings have been replaced. A lot of surface rust but no obvious rotting. Transmission has a leak. Was told seals are easy to replace. Oil pan had been struck (bottoming out) and repaired with some kind of jb weld filler.

I see ads that say "easy fix" if it was they would have, my #3 bird cage mount rusted out and fell out in tommys hand, couldn't see that until he got in there...jb weld is great stuff for some things and the silly putty of the hack jobber .

Car drove well. Did not like the Hurst shifter. Tach needle is broken off and some small interior trim fit and finish issues.

hurst shifters are great but must be adjusted just right some people simply can not do it no matter how much they try or think they can

I know this is a 40 year old car but I'm looking for something better. I'm going to keep looking. Thanks for all of the feedback!
for that type money yeah, I wouldn't want little stupid things wrong hiding bigger worse stuff
Old 05-01-2016, 09:01 PM
Bhebert449
Pro

Originally Posted by The13Bats
for that type money yeah, I wouldn't want little stupid things wrong hiding bigger worse stuff
His "bottom dollar" is $25k. I really don't think he is being dishonest or looking for a quick flip. I think he has some money in the car and will be upside down. He bought the car sight unseen in 2014 and I think it ended up needing more than he expected. I'm learning a lot after every car I see.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:51 PM
69Pman
Racer

You made the right choice. Was in the same situation about having the means to purchase a vette but it had to be the right one in order to pull the trigger. That's what makes the hunt so fun...and the drive so much better.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:56 PM
69Pman
Racer

He bought the car sight unseen in 2014 and I think it ended up needing more than he expected.
Just another nail in the coffin. Would hate to be the one to figure out what the car needed more so than what he expected.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:26 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

His "bottom dollar" is $25k. I really don't think he is being dishonest or looking for a quick flip. I think he has some money in the car and will be upside down. He bought the car sight unseen in 2014 and I think it ended up needing more than he expected. I'm learning a lot after every car I see.
Well, hum, if he is at all vette savvy then he knows what it is actually worth and hoping for a clueless sucker,

My 69 I bought from pictures only 1909...looked near show car even on the trailer...lol
Now has new chassis under it..etc etc etc and so forth,
But I only paid 6500 plus minus delivered to my door and now have a modded bb 69 convertible for way less than 13K
not a purist car by a long shot but a heck of a lot of fun.

and my needles are all in place and work....

Last edited by The13Bats; 05-02-2016 at 02:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on purchasing first vette