Sponsored by:

Rims for use with FLARES - Taking Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 12:36 AM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Default Rims for use with FLARES - Taking Suggestions

I've settled on my decision to flare my car. It will be a little while since I have some other little things to do (like replace my FRAME) before performing the flare. But...I'm one to be prepared.

This is an "OPEN CALL" for rims that go under flares. I have some things I like and some things I don't, but I have not made ANY decisions yet.

I will run either 17" or 18" tires. I have not decided yet, so PLEASE let me know your thoughts on either size. I like tire, but don't want to be stuck if 17" continues to fall from favor.

I intend to run 12" wide rear rims and 10" wide front rims. Both, presumably, with 4" offset.

I'm a "chrome in reserve" sort. I probably won't do an all-chrome rim. I like natural aluminum. I like SOME polished. But I'm not a big "bling" sort of fella.

I'm a sucker for the more modern rim. Prefer an anthracite/black center and polished lip. This type of deal by Billet Specialties:

Problem is that these suckers start to get into the $1,000-a-pop range. Nuts. Can't do it.

I could go old school, like one of these from E-T Wheels:

Each of these are in the sub-$500 world, which is one I could probably live in.

Dunno. It will come down to the right combination of look and price. I know I should worry about weight in there, but having a dumpy looking lightweight wheel that I can afford probably won't work too well. It's like giving your girlfriend the highest quality diamond you can afford and it's a freaking grain of sand. She doesn't give a RIP how perfect it is if it's painful to look at and can't show the thing off. So...weight is on the back burner for looks and price.

So this is what I need: Please post a picture of what you think is awesome. PLEASE include the brand of rim so I can check the prices and such.

If you own a flared car: PLEASE let me know what width rim you are running and if you're having any rubbing or other issues.

As always, pictures are the fo'shizzle.

Thanks for any help/suggestions you can toss my way.

Keith
Old 05-01-2016, 07:05 AM
C3Paul
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the best cobo looks like 18x12 with 5" BS at rear and 18x10 with 4.75 BS front.
Check this: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...eel-combo.html

Last edited by C3Paul; 05-01-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:57 AM
530planeman
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by keithinspace
I've settled on my decision to flare my car. It will be a little while since I have some other little things to do (like replace my FRAME) before performing the flare. But...I'm one to be prepared.

This is an "OPEN CALL" for rims that go under flares. I have some things I like and some things I don't, but I have not made ANY decisions yet.

I will run either 17" or 18" tires. I have not decided yet, so PLEASE let me know your thoughts on either size. I like tire, but don't want to be stuck if 17" continues to fall from favor.

I intend to run 12" wide rear rims and 10" wide front rims. Both, presumably, with 4" offset.

I'm a "chrome in reserve" sort. I probably won't do an all-chrome rim. I like natural aluminum. I like SOME polished. But I'm not a big "bling" sort of fella.

I'm a sucker for the more modern rim. Prefer an anthracite/black center and polished lip. This type of deal by Billet Specialties:

Problem is that these suckers start to get into the $1,000-a-pop range. Nuts. Can't do it.

I could go old school, like one of these from E-T Wheels:

Each of these are in the sub-$500 world, which is one I could probably live in.

Dunno. It will come down to the right combination of look and price. I know I should worry about weight in there, but having a dumpy looking lightweight wheel that I can afford probably won't work too well. It's like giving your girlfriend the highest quality diamond you can afford and it's a freaking grain of sand. She doesn't give a RIP how perfect it is if it's painful to look at and can't show the thing off. So...weight is on the back burner for looks and price.

So this is what I need: Please post a picture of what you think is awesome. PLEASE include the brand of rim so I can check the prices and such.

If you own a flared car: PLEASE let me know what width rim you are running and if you're having any rubbing or other issues.

As always, pictures are the fo'shizzle.

Thanks for any help/suggestions you can toss my way.

Keith
Keith
These are my original American Wheels with Black chrome powder coated. I use these 15X10 with a 2" spacer and flared fenders on all 4
Good Luck
Wes
Old 05-01-2016, 09:41 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Suggestion. Decide on the wheels and tires and buy them before you do the flares. Then fit the flares to the tires to get the look you want. The only way that changes is if you go with the fenders that are flared. I'm sure the vender that sells them can give you the wheel specs.
Good luck in your wheel search.

Last edited by 3JsVette; 05-01-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:28 AM
keithinspace
Drifting

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
...fit the flares to the tires...[unless] you go with the fenders that are flared.
Thank you for the suggestion and warm thoughts.

I believe I have decided on the [apparently a non-supporting vendor] "whole fender" flares. My car suffered a front hit long ago and the front end is jacked anyway. I know it sounds silly, but I like the idea of taking a 'clean' panel off so the car can someday be put back if desired. I am also worried about the alignment of the fender, which is a point you bring up. Plus, I'd like my limited body work skills to be isolated to a seam rather than making up the entire fender/flare interface. Lastly, the [apparently a non-supporting vendor] flares in particular have the "thick" look I have decided to go with.

The answer, also, is YES. Even if I do the "whole fender" flares, I want to have the rims and tires on-hand to be a model for making certain I get the flares in exactly the right spot. Being 1/2" off on the front passenger tire, for example, would be the worst. Especially when you're intentionally getting the fender and tire to balance so closely together.

Last edited by keithinspace; 05-01-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:38 AM
keithinspace
Drifting

Originally Posted by C3Paul
the best cobo looks like 18x12 with 5" BS at rear and 18x10 with 4.75 BS front.
Check this: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...eel-combo.html
I guess I missed that thread. This 'flare' thing is about a week old to me. I did some searches before creating this thread and didn't trip onto that particular one.

I have this aversion to putting "gold" on a car. I'm not sure why. It was a scarred childhood, I think, where a dear friend spoke about "gold" this and that like the car was driven by the devil himself. Stuck with me for some reason.

I may have to get over it though, because THIS:

is sick. Maybe just a little more 'lace' than I was pondering, but it really does strike that balance of RACE and STREET and OLD and MODERN. It speaks to me.

The real reason I started this thread: WHAT ARE THOSE? WHAT BRAND? I have all the offset info, which is great, but don't want to sift through the entire interweb to find those silly rims.

Last edited by keithinspace; 05-01-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:41 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

The gold centered wheels above are CCW Classics, about $3k/set these days.

These days I'd skip 17" and go to 18", as the bigger size 17 tires are going away. I have two sets of the ET/Team 3 LTIII's shown above, and have been very happy with them.

Last edited by 69autoXr; 05-02-2016 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:49 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

That's what I was wondering about 17's. I don't want to spend a bundle on the rims (going to be tough to get out for under $2k), only to have the tire selections severely curtailed in the next 10 years.

I prefer have more rubber, so I prefer the 17's, but that preference is not strong enough to build problems into my car.

My daughter (12 years old) strongly endorses the flares, but she definitely didn't want me to use the gold. She called it "too flashy". Too flashy, huh? Like the rest of the car isn't flashy? The rim center color will push me over the top?

In the end, I'll end up with a grey, anthracite, or black center within a brushed or polished dish.

I'd love to see more rim suggestions.

K
Old 05-02-2016, 04:25 PM
C3Paul
Burning Brakes

I am going with these Bilet 4
http://www.imagewheels.co.uk/billet-4-alloy-wheel/
Old 05-02-2016, 04:31 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Very attractive. What are those guys going for?
Old 05-02-2016, 04:52 PM
C3Paul
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by keithinspace
Very attractive. What are those guys going for?
About £2000 for the set.
Have a look at their website for an inspiration

Get notified of new replies

To Rims for use with FLARES - Taking Suggestions

Quick Reply: Rims for use with FLARES - Taking Suggestions