Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 10:17 AM
Jazzyced
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To core or not to core?

I am curious about the general opinion?
Do you send back your parts?
Does it usually end up saving you money?
Or does the shipping kills everything?

I guess I am talking about the US 48 states market mainly.

My 76 is a driver (when running!), I am not attached to it being 100 factory, so keeping parts and refurbishing the originals is not a must do for me.

I need a new steering valve, a steering pump, front disks and calipers, new front suspension parts (A-arms), maybe a differential, half shafts, etc. The list could go on and on if I don't stop myself

Thanks,

J
Old 05-02-2016, 10:31 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

I passed buying a fiero rear caliper because of the core fee or return shipping sort of a wash, so in town gets the business there,
Hum, some vette specific part that requires a core or a core fee, but I can only get mail order so I have to bite it and send back the core the shipping fees taking most of the core fees I would get back,
I am weird and cheap so I guess that core would become shop art or pay it forward fodder...
Old 05-02-2016, 10:38 AM
jgcable
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jazzyced
I am curious about the general opinion?
Do you send back your parts?
Does it usually end up saving you money?
Or does the shipping kills everything?

I guess I am talking about the US 48 states market mainly.

My 76 is a driver (when running!), I am not attached to it being 100 factory, so keeping parts and refurbishing the originals is not a must do for me.

I need a new steering valve, a steering pump, front disks and calipers, new front suspension parts (A-arms), maybe a differential, half shafts, etc. The list could go on and on if I don't stop myself

Thanks,

J
I just completely rebuilt my 77. Its a driver too. I did everything you mentioned. I didn't overbuild. I don't race. I wanted it right and I wanted it correct but I didn't buy the best of everything for my driver.

I rebuilt my PSCV. It was super easy and came out excellent. Most of the time its just the boot and maybe a line that is leaking.
I rebuilt one of my calipers. I didn't replace my disks because they were fine.
I did the A arm bushings with Energy Suspension parts. I did the upper and lower ball joints with stock Moog. All my front sway bar bushings and endlinks are Energy Suspension. If your differential isn't leaking and your half shafts aren't clunking or leaking then leave them alone. You should change the bushings at the ends of your leaf spring though. Its a simple job. I also replaced my front coil springs with stock Moog springs and a full set of KYB GR2 gas shocks all around.
I replaced all the rubber brake lines on the car. I also replaced all my inner and outer tie rod ends. Again.. cheap and easy. I would suggest addressing the safety items first. Brakes, steering. Then.. tackle the suspension. I wanted my 77 to handle like a new car and it does. It handles like its on rails. Of course... you need a proper running motor and transmission too!
Regarding your steering pump... a replacement is cheap and its really easy to remove and install.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:18 AM
Jazzyced
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what I am trying to gauge, rebuilding things myself or core+new part. Time is somewhat short, and the budget is always finite, so it will be a compromise!

My main concern is to ship stuff which will only pay for the shipping fee.
you are right, brake discs could be exchanged at my local supplier.
I tried to get some car related art in the house, but it got vetoed pretty quickly

Looking at shipping rate, there seems to be a sweet spot somewhere between shipping too many or too few parts.

Re the diff: the back cover is cracked, it needs to come out
Old 05-02-2016, 11:54 AM
jgcable
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jazzyced
This is what I am trying to gauge, rebuilding things myself or core+new part. Time is somewhat short, and the budget is always finite, so it will be a compromise!

My main concern is to ship stuff which will only pay for the shipping fee.
you are right, brake discs could be exchanged at my local supplier.
I tried to get some car related art in the house, but it got vetoed pretty quickly

Looking at shipping rate, there seems to be a sweet spot somewhere between shipping too many or too few parts.

Re the diff: the back cover is cracked, it needs to come out
There is no sense in sending calipers out to get rebuilt. The rebuilt kits are simple. 2 bolts and its apart. Pull out the seals, put in the new seals. Put it back together. The PSCV is simple too. A few bolts to take it apart. The rebuild kit came with complete simple instructions. There is even a step by step Youtube video walking you through it. Things like starters and alternators are things you can buy at the local auto parts store. Believe it or not.... your Corvette doesn't have very many "unique" parts on it mechanically. You can get most of them at the local auto parts store.
The following users liked this post:
Jazzyced (05-02-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To To core or not to core?

Quick Reply: To core or not to core?