Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Examples of C5 Interior Swap to C3?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 02:27 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Default Examples of C5 Interior Swap to C3?

As part of my brother's own automotive journey (building a Factory Five GTM), he has completely disassembled a 1999 Hardtop Corvette.

He is giving me all of the interior bits in hopes that I could do something really awesome with them.

My question: Has someone...anyone...transplanted a C5 interior into a C3? I'm talking about the door panels, the dashpad, the center section, and the center console. Seats are obvious...already have the driver's set in my car and it's OH SO COMFY.

I know it would all need to be trimmed down and highly modified. I know it is difficult. I know all the bad stuff. I'm not trivializing it, trust me. Suffice it to say that I know it. So please...respectfully...don't have your one offer be "it is difficult so don't do it." That's not what I'm asking.

I'm also not asking about whether it SHOULD be done or not. That's almost why I'm asking this in the first place. I don't want to even start it if there are 19 examples of others that have done it and they all look like crap.

I'm not talking about re-tasking any of the buttons or electronics. I already have a full set of AutoMeter gauges in my car, so re-use of stock gauges isn't an issue either. And I know I'll have to have it all re-wrapped in the end. Think "shell". Heavily modified and wrapped with something tasty at the end.

I plan on using all of MY original mounting points, so preserving the ABILITY to go back to the original interior is something I'd like to retain. The parts will be butchered and brutalized to fit my car.

Please don't flame me too hard. Just looking for examples. I found the "Menace" project, but not much beyond that demonstrating anywhere near a full interior swap. Honestly, he's going too far for my skills or budget. I want clean and simple.

Anyone know of one? Pictures? Threads? Bueller?

Thanks for your time!

Keith

Last edited by keithinspace; 05-02-2016 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:50 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

some stuff you desire, custom interior, flares are not really an easy back to stock like taking out an eyebrow piercing but more like trying to have a full back tattoo of an alien doing a green demon grrl removed,
so relax, and mod the heck out of the car,

I love custom interiors not so much line green **** carpet but nicely down diamond tucked velvet, yeah, I'm dated.

I would think running the gauges from the c5 might be a hassle if they are computer controlled,

Have you seen Richards custom interior inspired by the lambo, it is so darn sweet and before you think too much work you will face that trying to fit a c5 interior into a c3, why not mock up the interior you desire from scratch in many ways it will be easier than trying to fit something else...

PS, if someone flames you or gets all negative that is a them problem not a you problem so don't sweat it.

Last edited by The13Bats; 05-02-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:56 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

You're awesome. Thank you. All these modifications are easier to take in if I tell myself that I can always go back. Probably never will...but it makes things easier for me to digest. With the frame swap, the flares, the rims, the interior, and the paint, I will be going from a rather run-of-the-mill driver car to a fairly extreme, "off the chain" custom vehicle that will hopefully be magazine-worthy. That's what I'm going for, anyway.

So....no **** and diamond tuck. Sorry.

I would NOT re-use the C5 gauges. I will retain my AutoMeter setup.

I would like to keep the vent locations in the C5 dash, so some inventive re-routing of the air and such would be in order. Fortunately, the vents are SORT OF in the same location as the AC vents in my stock interior. Lots of mods between Point A and B, but you get the picture.

Cut, shape, fiberglass, sand...move things around. My brother is even starting to play with carbon fiber. Could be cool to make some smaller pieces out of that if I can't get things to fit just right.

The possibilities are endless. I'm just trying to see if anyone has done it before. Learn from them and get a feel for the biggest hurtles.

If nobody has done it...well...then I have an interesting journey ahead of me.

Last edited by keithinspace; 05-02-2016 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:17 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by keithinspace
You're awesome. Thank you. All these modifications are easier to take in if I tell myself that I can always go back. Probably never will...but it makes things easier for me to digest. With the frame swap, the flares, the rims, the interior, and the paint, I will be going from a rather run-of-the-mill driver car to a fairly extreme, "off the chain" custom vehicle that will hopefully be magazine-worthy. That's what I'm going for, anyway.

So....no **** and diamond tuck. Sorry.

I would NOT re-use the C5 gauges. I will retain my AutoMeter setup.

I would like to keep the vent locations in the C5 dash, so some inventive re-routing of the air and such would be in order. Fortunately, the vents are SORT OF in the same location as the AC vents in my stock interior. Lots of mods between Point A and B, but you get the picture.

Cut, shape, fiberglass, sand...move things around. My brother is even starting to play with carbon fiber. Could be cool to make some smaller pieces out of that if I can't get things to fit just right.

The possibilities are endless. I'm just trying to see if anyone has done it before. Learn from them and get a feel for the biggest hurtles.

If nobody has done it...well...then I have an interesting journey ahead of me.
when customs stopped being called customs and got new labels like restromods/rods the bar was raised and then some, nope you won't see any diamond tuffed interiors in the new builds following todays trend of what is cool and what isn't, we need deep pockets full of toad pelts to keep up with the jones, exotic huge hp engines with wild induction systems, state of the art race car suspension with huge modern rubber pristinely perfect paint etc etc
I am rooting for you...the type build you are doing keeps me motivated for my build,
But you really cant go all out and still plan to go back, it will drive you nuts, your car like mine and many others simply are worth more to us to do with what we desire not worry about what it will or will not be worth come time to sell,
But I assure you most all the top end restro mod builds you see today are worth far more than that same car as it left the factory
Old 05-02-2016, 06:39 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

I have not done it, nor seen one.... but I think Bats is right.... the hardest part of what you`re asking is retaining the stock mounting points so you can "un-do" it.
I would think.... in addition to morphing the C5 parts, you would also need to add braces, tabs, or holes, or even trim some spots on the C3 to make it work.
So why worry about it? If that is of any concern, you should leave the car stock, and get another C3 to mod to your heart`s content!
Then you`d have BOTH! A perfect world!
And again, as Bats mentioned.... check out Richard`s "Lambo" interior job he`s doing.... it looks FANTASTIC!
Old 05-02-2016, 09:23 PM
76CSRvette
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

google c3 c6 corvette conversion it is a yellow c3 with c6 bumper conversion and has c6 dash custom from that manufacturer
Old 05-02-2016, 09:41 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Thanks Guys...

Hey Bats- would this be a great thread in the 'mods' section!!!

Not to mention I have WAY less in mine than using reproduction parts...

Keith- I haven't seen any C5 (other than seats) into a C3 - and I have a folder full of C3 custom interior pics...

But here's a C6 into a C3 -in progress here-

Roger's (AKA " Tileart" ) 78

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...sket-case.html

Why are you set on using the C3 mounting points? It makes more sense to use the C5 panels mounting points-and then just adapt a bracket to the C3. Some 16gu metal...a Vice and a drill- you're there.

Also looking at beefing up the flimsy plastic- just some fiberglass on the back of it and some perfed metal if needed and it becomes very strong.

My console- beefed up.

The following users liked this post:
keithinspace (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 10:02 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Richard454
Thanks Guys...

Hey Bats- would this be a great thread in the 'mods' section!!!
I deserved that...
Old 05-02-2016, 10:21 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Originally Posted by Richard454
Roger's (AKA " Tileart" ) 78
THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR!!!

The same, but different. With some ingenuity and patience, I think I can pull it off. This is exactly what I was thinking.

If I could make it half that nice, I'd be doing pretty darn well.

Stay tuned...
Old 05-03-2016, 12:19 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by keithinspace
THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR!!!

The same, but different. With some ingenuity and patience, I think I can pull it off. This is exactly what I was thinking.

If I could make it half that nice, I'd be doing pretty darn well.

Stay tuned...
you can do it!!!!
No matter how it tries fiberglass can never out smart ya...

Get notified of new replies

To Examples of C5 Interior Swap to C3?

Quick Reply: Examples of C5 Interior Swap to C3?