Sponsored by:

Engine compartment wire mess

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 01:30 AM
Mattrv73
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine compartment wire mess

So I've pulled my engine cleaned up the place but don't care for how the wires n such look.
Anybody got any ideas on what to do with them?

How it was...

How it sits now...
Old 05-03-2016, 07:25 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I don't see the "mess" you see, but the question is what do you want to do with the wiring? Hoses and harnesses can be cleaned.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 05-03-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:20 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,278 Likes on 3,915 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Put them in they're stock locations. Hopefully Alan will post a pic of his beautiful engine compartment. I'm slowly getting mine together and a little work makes a big difference

Before

After

A work in progress. I have wirelooms now that help. Just needs some paintng and hose shining

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 05-03-2016 at 08:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mattrv73 (05-04-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 08:40 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,731 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Granted- my car is FAR from stock-but there's several ways to cover/hide the wires,

To clean up the firewall-my wires are run inside the car- behind the the dash,

The wires in the engine compartment-

Om one side - for the headlights/horns/ turnsignals - ran the wires in some -12AN SS braided line- so now the wires look like they go to the drysump-

DSCN5151 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

DSCN5154 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

For the alternator - I used some black braided fuel line to hide the wires- on the frame rail-

DSCN5182 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

And to make the battery cable look better- I covered it w/ nylon mesh loom and heat srink-

DSCN5079 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

Last edited by Richard454; 05-03-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Mattrv73 (05-04-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 11:11 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

I put my wires in high temperature plastic conduit.
Mattrv73 (05-04-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 11:26 AM
Vette-kid
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

I love seeing what others have done. Mine is a mess too. Everytime i start to tackle out i get overwhelmed and end up not much better off.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:53 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette-kid
I love seeing what others have done. Mine is a mess too. Everytime i start to tackle out i get overwhelmed and end up not much better off.
The key is to make it look good. And how do you do that? I put the answer to that question in two categories, a) dressing and combine the wires and b) combining them and securing them.

Often, old car wiring looks really bad, because it's been kinked, folded, bent and mishandled. To fix this, you would take a single strand close to whatever end it terminates at, and with your hands, pull it through your fingers, forcing the kinks and bends out of it, until it's nice and straight. Practice with a leftover beat-up strand on the bench and you'll see really good results. Do this to as many of the wires as possible. It is physical work, that's for sure, but the wire mess, will look much better.

Next, you want to take the straightened wires and sub-harnesses out and start laying them out and seeing how they might combine together in a good looking way, with sensible routing. Start combing the wires that want to seem to run together, keeping them straight along their combined length. Use small zip ties to organize them, as you go along. You will use a lot of zip ties! Often, you'll redo them, cutting off the zip ties and redoing it, because you found an even better way to organize them and route them. It just takes time and patience and you'll be pleased with the results.

Caveat: If your engine compartment wiring harness, has been totally 'Bubba'd, with a ton of butt splices, black tape and home twist-on connectors, you might just consider, getting an entirely brand new one. But if it's salvagable, the above might do the trick.

Some examples, including non-Corvette wiring:

See how the wiring is combined, combed and straightened out and then tied up?

Old 50's International that we did, a long while back. We were only paid to do the wiring, the owner was going to clean up the engine compartment himself, but again, note how we did it:

Mattrv73 (05-04-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 03:12 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Also.....I read in another thread that vendors sell rolls of black (non-adhesive) tape. You could remove the old wrap/tape and rewrap the wires following suggestions from other members if you want to hide any exposed wires.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:18 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
Here a a few pictures of the engine compartment in my 71 currently.
I think a good appearance can be had if some work is put into seriously cleaning everything, painting parts as is appropriate, and then being careful in the routing of electrical harnesses/wiring, vacuum lines, and hoses.
I realize this appearance isn't right for many folks but the cleaning, painting and 'neatness' works in ANY compartment.
Regards,
Alan

The following 2 users liked this post by Alan 71:
doorgunner (05-03-2016), Rescue Rogers (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 06:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattrv73
So I've pulled my engine cleaned up the place but don't care for how the wires n such look.
Anybody got any ideas on what to do with them?
How they look is all up to you...but I often times come across Corvettes that I am working on where the wiring harness(es) need to be replaced...and this is due to when I bend the wire that has taken shape and is hard as a rock...the insulation splits can cracks.

Keep in mind I work on other peoples Corvettes...so...I have to consider potential problems in the future..and the last thing I need to hear from a customer is that: "You should have told me....I would have installed new wiring instead of having these wiring issues all the time."

Your car...you choice.

DUB
Old 05-03-2016, 09:36 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,278 Likes on 3,915 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I knew Alan would come along!!!!!! Always beautiful
Old 05-03-2016, 10:42 PM
Mattrv73
Advanced

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
I don't see the "mess" you see, but the question is what do you want to do with the wiring? Hoses and harnesses can be cleaned.
I guess I want the wires n such to not look so haphazardly thrown in there. After reading a few replies, I have been trying to group things together and it does look 5% better.

I wish I had the ability and confidence and patience to remove them
completely and just start over but alas it is not meant to be just yet.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:43 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

alan,whats your address,im shipping my car to you
Old 05-03-2016, 10:51 PM
Mattrv73
Advanced

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Also.....I read in another thread that vendors sell rolls of black (non-adhesive) tape. You could remove the old wrap/tape and rewrap the wires following suggestions from other members if you want to hide any exposed wires.
Yes. I have done some of that and it makes a noticeable difference!

I actually went to the junkyard and pulled a lot of the plastic wire looms. Cleaned them up and used them.

I guess my main complaint is the routing. It looks so 70's.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:55 PM
Mattrv73
Advanced

Originally Posted by F22
The key is to make it look good. And how do you do that? I put the answer to that question in two categories, a) dressing and combine the wires and b) combining them and securing them.

Often, old car wiring looks really bad, because it's been kinked, folded, bent and mishandled. To fix this, you would take a single strand close to whatever end it terminates at, and with your hands, pull it through your fingers, forcing the kinks and bends out of it, until it's nice and straight. Practice with a leftover beat-up strand on the bench and you'll see really good results. Do this to as many of the wires as possible. It is physical work, that's for sure, but the wire mess, will look much better.

Next, you want to take the straightened wires and sub-harnesses out and start laying them out and seeing how they might combine together in a good looking way, with sensible routing. Start combing the wires that want to seem to run together, keeping them straight along their combined length. Use small zip ties to organize them, as you go along. You will use a lot of zip ties! Often, you'll redo them, cutting off the zip ties and redoing it, because you found an even better way to organize them and route them. It just takes time and patience and you'll be pleased with the results.

Caveat: If your engine compartment wiring harness, has been totally 'Bubba'd, with a ton of butt splices, black tape and home twist-on connectors, you might just consider, getting an entirely brand new one. But if it's salvagable, the above might do the trick.

Some examples, including non-Corvette wiring:

See how the wiring is combined, combed and straightened out and then tied up?

Old 50's International that we did, a long while back. We were only paid to do the wiring, the owner was going to clean up the engine compartment himself, but again, note how we did it:

Last edited by Mattrv73; 05-03-2016 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:06 PM
Mattrv73
Advanced

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi,
Here a a few pictures of the engine compartment in my 71 currently.
I think a good appearance can be had if some work is put into seriously cleaning everything, painting parts as is appropriate, and then being careful in the routing of electrical harnesses/wiring, vacuum lines, and hoses.
I realize this appearance isn't right for many folks but the cleaning, painting and 'neatness' works in ANY compartment.
Regards,
Alan

Thanks for the reply. I guess I cannot post another pic of my engine compartment ever again. I am so embarrassed.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:08 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattrv73
Thanks for the reply. I guess I cannot post another pic of my engine compartment ever again. I am so embarrassed.
Believe me, you're not alone

I love the line above " it looks so 70's.". I remember my Mom getting a brand new 75 Olds Omega that died after a few days. Turns out the engine harness was essentially wrapped around an exhast pipe. Rather than replacing the harness, the dealer spliced in individual wires (all the same color too) and called it good. Guess that's the way things were done then.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine compartment wire mess

Old 05-04-2016, 10:17 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
REALLY, no one needs to be embarrassed!
My pictures show what is obviously just a very ORDINARY engine in a compartment with all the ODDs and ENDS needed to make it an actual car, but everything been carefully prepared and assembled.
It's a matter of taking the time to do it.
Regards,
Alan
Mattrv73 (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 07:41 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi,
REALLY, no one needs to be embarrassed!
My pictures show what is obviously just a very ORDINARY engine in a compartment with all the ODDs and ENDS needed to make it an actual car, but everything been carefully prepared and assembled.
It's a matter of taking the time to do it.
Regards,
Alan
with Alan,

I KNOW what it takes to make an engine compartment look like what Alan's looks like. COUNTLESS HOURS. I spent 6 hours ona 1970 I restored routing and positioning the headlight vacuum and headlight washer hoses along the left inner fender so you could clearly see all the colored stripes on the hoses. And correctly applying the tape where it was required to hold them also.

SO...when I get customer who comes in and I raise the hood becasue I need to check out what they came by for....and they feel embarrassed of their engine compartment when they have sen what I do and have done. I tell them this. "I do not care on how your engine compartment looks because you are driving and enjoying your Corvette on a regular basis. I am ONLY concerned that everything is in working order and that you are safe."

SO..if anyone posts a photo of their engine compartment....I will not pick it to death when it comes to 'how it looks'...BUT I will comment if I see something that is NOT RIGHT and can effect your safety. A rusty air cleaner lid means nothing to me as long as your air filter is CLEAN. But putting a new chrome air cleaner on and still using the old dirty air filter....THAT is when I would comment that you need to get your priorities in CHECK. Wouldn't you all agree???

DUB
Mattrv73 (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 07:48 PM
ralphspears
Melting Slicks

Received 751 Likes on 398 Posts

Wiper door actuator can is mounted upside down.
Rescue Rogers (05-06-2016)

Quick Reply: Engine compartment wire mess