Trim tag opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 03:50 PM
sbaba
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Trim tag opinions

Hey All,

I'm looking at a 68 which is supposed to be triple black. I requested to see photos of the trim tag. Photo is below. The tag is not even on the car and looks too shiny and new to me. I'm very suspicious.

Please share some opinions.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:52 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Sure is squeaky clean pretty. I tend to lean your way: replacement.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:33 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

does the trim tag date line up with the VIN # date?
ask him for a pic with the tag on the car.
look real close for color change evidence when inspecting the car if you are even thinking about buying the car at a 900 code price
Old 05-03-2016, 04:42 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

If it's not on the car as it should be it is presumably false IMO. What was his explanation for the tag not being on the car?
Old 05-03-2016, 05:04 PM
sullyman56
Drifting

Received 272 Likes on 198 Posts

This is the trim tag on my 68 convertible. The one the OP posted looks a little fishy when you compare them.

After the letters STD there is a raised portion indicating a period at the end of the abbreviation for Standard. I see that the trim tag posted by the OP doesn't have it. Should it have it?

Last edited by sullyman56; 05-03-2016 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 05-03-2016, 05:10 PM
sbaba
Racer

Originally Posted by joewill
does the trim tag date line up with the VIN # date?
ask him for a pic with the tag on the car.
look real close for color change evidence when inspecting the car if you are even thinking about buying the car at a 900 code price
The #'s do line up.

The tag is not on the car so that is very fishy. That and the new look is why I posted it here.

Also if you look at the right side hole, it appears as if there has never been a rivet through it.

Last edited by sbaba; 05-03-2016 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:26 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi s,
I find it ironic that the tag has been removed from a 68 black/black/black car.
What documentation is there for the car?
Wouldn't a knowledgeable person have taken pictures of the tag in place before removing it?
What's the reason given for removing the tag?
What do the rivets look like that are going to be used to reattach the tag to the pillar?
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-03-2016, 05:34 PM
sbaba
Racer

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi s,
I find it ironic that the tag has been removed from a 68 black/black/black car.
What documentation is there for the car?
Wouldn't a knowledgeable person have taken pictures of the tag in place before removing it?
What's the reason given for removing the tag?
What do the rivets look like that are going to be used to reattach the tag to the pillar?
Regards,
Alan
No docs. Waiting to hear an explanation.

Not sure why I posted the tag because I'm not at all fooled.

I guess I was looking for people to tell me how the tag in the pic is obviously a fake apart from it not being attached to the car.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:41 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 657 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by sullyman56

This is the trim tag on my 68 convertible. The one the OP posted looks a little fishy when you compare them.
What exactly looks fishy? Because its shiny? These things don't usually get too dirty until the car gets repainted with them on. They are stainless steel.

I can tell you this. It does NOT look like the fakes made by Trim Tags Inc. I need to see a clearer picture of the word CHEVROLET up top and then I can tell you if it was made by them but from what I see it looks good. And I promise you, I can tell. I can recognize there incorrect font style compared to the real thing. Also a good pic of the 900 helps indentify it. They have bad 9's. Totally wrong shape. Wrong curvature in the spine. Yours from what I see looks good. Also they have the "stamped" numbers the incorrect size and thickness. It's subtle but its identifiable.

If there is another company out there making them, then I would not be able to tell at this time unless I get to see one next to an original.

I know lots of owners who have taken them off when the car gets repainted. Especially if the car was repainted the wrong color at one time. I'm talking mine off when the time comes.

Last edited by ed427vette; 05-03-2016 at 05:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sbaba (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 05:55 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Here is a fake tag from the company I mentioned earlier. Look at the letter C in Chevrolet. It's very rounded up top and bottom. It should be more pointed. It should look like the O in shape with just a small opening.

Also the "stamped" letters should be thicker and slightly smaller. The stamped letters should not be the same as the word CHEVROLET.

The 9 is hard to compare without putting a real tag next to it but they are different. The fakes curl up higher than originals. Compare it to Sullymans tag.

The OPs tag looks correct. If its a fake, it was not done by TT, and they have done most of them from what I understand.

Last edited by ed427vette; 05-03-2016 at 06:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sbaba (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 06:14 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Especially if the car was repainted the wrong color at one time. I'm talking mine off when the time comes.
^^^Only real reason to take it off
Mine "got lost" at a less than trustworthy bodyshop yrs ago along with a few others. Never got a repop figured it wasnt worth explaining in case I sold it. still got a pic of the original though!
Old 05-03-2016, 06:35 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by ed427vette
Here is a fake tag from the company I mentioned earlier. Look at the letter C in Chevrolet. It's very rounded up top and bottom. It should be more pointed. It should look like the O in shape with just a small opening.

Also the "stamped" letters should be thicker and slightly smaller. The stamped letters should not be the same as the word CHEVROLET.

The 9 is hard to compare without putting a real tag next to it but they are different. The fakes curl up higher than originals. Compare it to Sullymans tag.

The OPs tag looks correct. If its a fake, it was not done by TT, and they have done most of them from what I understand.
Here's my original never removed never painted trim tag.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:36 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by sbaba
Hey All,

I'm looking at a 68 which is supposed to be triple black. I requested to see photos of the trim tag. Photo is below. The tag is not even on the car and looks too shiny and new to me. I'm very suspicious.

Please share some opinions.

Would be nice to see a photo taken slightly off center, without flash... Entirely too much reflection in the photo you posted.

Having said that, I'm picking up on some details that have me asking questions.

Regards,

Stan Falenski
Old 05-03-2016, 09:33 PM
sbaba
Racer

Default Tag is a reproduction

Update: The broker selling the car told me that the trim tag is a reproduction. I appreciate the honesty from him and the seller.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:24 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Update: The broker selling the car told me that the trim tag is a reproduction. I appreciate the honesty from him and the seller.
That is a nice reproduction. It was not done by TT Inc or if it was it must be recent as the lettering looks correct from the pic.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:43 PM
69Pman
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree, can't fault someone for being honest. Is the car what you're looking for knowing what you now know?
Old 05-04-2016, 10:08 AM
sbaba
Racer

Originally Posted by 69Pman
I agree, can't fault someone for being honest. Is the car what you're looking for knowing what you now know?
I agree and appreciate the honesty of the seller/broker. When a fake trim tag is involved, you always wonder what else could be fake, covered up, etc.

The car could still work but it is overpriced for not being triple black, a color change and there is not any wiggle room with the seller

Here is the WTB post: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nvertible.html

Last edited by sbaba; 05-04-2016 at 10:08 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Trim tag opinions

Old 05-04-2016, 10:37 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Would he have offered that information had you not inquired?
Old 05-04-2016, 11:19 AM
sbaba
Racer

Originally Posted by capevettes
Would he have offered that information had you not inquired?
I was working with the broker. He seemed like an honest guy. The trim tag photo was not in the car listing. When I asked about the tag, he sent me the photo and acknowledged that there could be an issue. He called me later in the day, after speaking to the owner, to tell me that the tag was a reproduction but the car was still thought to be an original black car.

All that said, I have no idea, had I not asked, if it would have been brought to my attention. The ad states that it is "code correct Tuxedo Black." How many people buying Corvettes even know about trim tags?
Old 05-04-2016, 11:41 AM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 257 Posts

The ad states that it is "code correct Tuxedo Black."
Which, unfortunately, is as misleading as the statement "matching numbers.". Even if it IS originally a black car, the proof someone would use to verify that claim is no longer there.

How many people buying Corvettes even know about trim tags?
Considering that a buyer is probably going to have to pay a premium for an original black car, maybe they should.

Regards,

Stan

Quick Reply: Trim tag opinions