C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will these type of gauges fit a C3 console?

Old 05-16-2016, 10:51 AM
siol
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Will these type of gauges fit a C3 console?

Hi all. I have a 79 c3 corvette and I am thinking about doing a digital upgrade for the console gauges. Searching on ebay I came across these lines of product that claim are for a c3,c4 etc corvettes (below link). does anyone know if they really will fit a C3 console as shown in the picture???
Thank you

link to the item I am talking about:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/raid-Oltempe...IAAOSwGvhT9Evf

David.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:41 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Round gauges will not fit your stock center cluster.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:41 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

I vote yes. There are 2 inch holes in the cluster, so if 2 inch they should fit.

Last edited by mikem350; 05-16-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:14 PM
mrscott25
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

You are going to be doing some jury rigging to make them fit. The housing on the back of the console is not flat. Gauges sit in them at angles even though it looks flat from the front. The location of the mounting screws are different for each gauge, some at 2 and 10 o'clock others at 3 and 9 and some at 12 and 6 o'clock. Seems like each gauge is a little different. You are also gong to run into issues with the flexible printed circuit board which might turn out to be very difficult to work around.

So, can it work, sure anything can with enough messing around. Will it be easy? Doubtful and you will probably spend more time and money goofing around than it would cost to put new OEM style gauges in.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:22 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

takes a lot of work to fit generic rounds in the stock dash and while DD wants over a grand for c3 digital gauges to fit the c3 another ebay vender sells c3 digital gauges for a few hundred that fit the dash....
Old 05-16-2016, 07:37 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Why 12.3V on an oil temp gauge? You begin to wonder about such matters.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:28 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,729 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by paul 74
looks like a Voltmeter AND an Oil temp meter...

It can be done...but to do it right = a LOT of work!!!

But my frame of reference for a LOT of work is quite different from others...
Old 05-17-2016, 02:34 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I finally ditched the stock gauge setup and made my own center layout and used after market gauges, and less than that one instrument above costs.....and I got lazy and eliminated the radio/electronics, as I don't listen anyway.....but then again there is NOTHING stock about my car anyway.....from wheels through roof, bow to stern.....nothing.....
Old 05-17-2016, 02:52 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by mrvette
I finally ditched the stock gauge setup and made my own center layout and used after market gauges, and less than that one instrument above costs.....and I got lazy and eliminated the radio/electronics, as I don't listen anyway.....but then again there is NOTHING stock about my car anyway.....from wheels through roof, bow to stern.....nothing.....
how about some dash pix.....
Old 05-18-2016, 12:19 AM
76C3forme
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by paul 74
I was thinking the same thing....

No wonder I blew my motor . . . my oil pressure dropped to 10.4 volts!!

Old 05-18-2016, 06:32 PM
overBlown
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 76C3forme
I was thinking the same thing....

No wonder I blew my motor . . . my oil pressure dropped to 10.4 volts!!

It's not just a oil pressure gauge. It's that and a volt meter all in one.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:26 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by overBlown
It's not just a oil pressure gauge. It's that and a volt meter all in one.
I guess It confused some folks, no needle to read,
It's actually rather clever and a great idea for a cramped cockpit, I used to do a lot of kit cars, buggies and trikes this type gauge saves a lot of space...but I was really jazzed with the battery clamp I picked up that has a volt meter made on it
Old 05-18-2016, 09:36 PM
RockyL32
Burning Brakes

Location: If your not the lead dog the view never changes Boise, Id
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

There is a company called Intelletronics they make an entire digital dash kit for the C3. They started life as a couple of IBM guys in the late 70s that owned Corvettes and built themselves digital dashes for there personal cars. That turned into 2001 Texhnologies and is now Itelletronix. Great people to work with they have a lifetime warranty on there gauges and will still take care of dashes from 2001 Technologies ( They warrantied my old set by replacing with new) the speedo has trip odometer high speed recall and 1/4 mile time. Easily adjusted to any wheel or gearing change. I can't say enough good things about my experience working with themName:  image.jpeg
Views: 633
Size:  158.6 KB
Old 05-24-2016, 12:16 AM
siol
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow Rocky!! Those are smoky hot red lights man!!! How did you do it? I replaced mine with brand new LED but they look so crapy dim...WTF is wrong with mine?!?!?
Thanks
s.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:06 PM
RockyL32
Burning Brakes

I didn't do much the kit was pretty easy to install. They are bright enough to see in the day with the t tops off. They do wire to the headlight switch and dim when the headlights are on. You can't adjust the brightness with the dimmer *** it only has the two settings. I know it's not everyone's taste but I sure like them.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:41 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

rocky,
I love digital gauges and liked them way back when they were pretty low end in the late 70's
I have owned and worked with different ones,
I find them far easier and faster to read than needles.

My first downer on them was the oddball % of gas left with just a number no % symbol after it or have a more friendly readout like perhaps full, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4. 1/8 warning lamp.

Next with the oil temp gauge that smartly replaced the clock in later c3's some only offer a silly clock,

We all know that early and late dashes are different and some kits make you loose all or some "idiot lamps" with excuses like , "they are not needed"

Intelletronics: I do not know if the ebay seller is them or a person selling their product but they killed me from buying them a few years ago because they couldn't answer easy questions like in the early kit does the speedo and tach have the turn lamps and what info they had came from generic instructions that covered 68-82 at the very least it should be early and late dashes,
Last turn off was all their smoke and mirrors on pricing, a full kit was really cheap until I asked for it for a 69 and it went way high,

So if that is them they need to learn more about the part they sell and what it fits if it's not them then if they need to get their sales people to learn up on it.

But perhaps all this is in the past like I said it's been a year or two.

Last edited by The13Bats; 05-27-2016 at 06:34 PM. Reason: replaced wrong word
Old 05-27-2016, 06:09 PM
RockyL32
Burning Brakes

I agree the fuel reading in% took a little getting used to but it quickly became a pretty easy reference for me. I was also glad to have an oil temp gauge instead of a clock. The only idiot lights I no longer have is the fuel low and gen light. I don't see why I couldn't of kept the fuel low light but mine didn't work to begin with so I just removed it. I don't know if the EBay seller is the company, I just dealt directly with Intelletronix and for me at least the customer service was great.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:00 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by RockyL32
I agree the fuel reading in% took a little getting used to but it quickly became a pretty easy reference for me. I was also glad to have an oil temp gauge instead of a clock. The only idiot lights I no longer have is the fuel low and gen light. I don't see why I couldn't of kept the fuel low light but mine didn't work to begin with so I just removed it. I don't know if the EBay seller is the company, I just dealt directly with Intelletronix and for me at least the customer service was great.
I still like them, my wife doesn't she likes the old school look of the needles but I might do a weird combo of both, I have a pop up screen stereo with gps that will hide to some degree the center gauges.

Get notified of new replies

To Will these type of gauges fit a C3 console?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will these type of gauges fit a C3 console?