Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Corvette as a first car

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 02:25 AM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Were in CA are you. SMOG is an issue on 76 and newer cars.

75 had a catalyst but 74 didn't.

SMOG for older cars have been getting tighter and tighter.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:52 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

FWIW: before becoming too serious about a C3, check on the cost of insurance. At a minimum, you will have to carry liability.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:14 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,753 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I agree with most of what has been said here. If this is not going to be your daily driver, look for one in the best shape you can afford. I grew up driving cars with no traction control, or abs, or airbags, etc and I am still here BUT with today's technology its a no brainer. I would not put my son in anything that didnt have those safety features as his only car.

For a toy, as long as you can afford it (purchase, insurance, parts, gas) it will teach you a lot about older cars and be something cool to cruise in.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:39 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Just file this food for thought,

I was 16-17 and bought a 72 bb convertible, at the time around 1980 and I paid about 5000.00 for it which was kind of high considering a new 80 z28 was about 7K,
The 72 already looked tired and I didn't know much of nothing about c3's there was no internet and no people to help me, I still wear the scar from the power steering pump repair, I have no doubt the car was rusty in bad ways, I liked pulling up to a stop light and dropping the top before the light changed, I really loved that car, but it was hot loud and unfriendly and I got so stupid I swapped it for a new at the time Camaro pace car the biggest POS gm ever made, and swapped that for an 81 corvette that I went on to dd for over 100K miles,

I have owned a lot of cars and a lot of corvettes, and it took me a long time to fix that mistake of swapping the 72 in 09 I got my current 69 bb convertible, this is not a trailer queen no show stopper but I am building the car I want.

At this stage I am guessing you haven't ridden in a c3, how about driven one, most sellers will not let anyone much less a young man take their corvette for a test ride but you need to go look at a lot of c3's in person, crawl around under them, smell them touch them,
get to know them, if possible go for test drives even if you only get to ride, perhaps a forum member is near you and would take you for a joy ride if you toss him some gas $$$,

Be sure this is what you really want then stop asking what year is best or best looking ALL c3's are the best year...each has it's pros and cons look at lots of pictures figure out which one YOU like best and go look at that type.....
The following users liked this post:
Metalhead140 (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 07:03 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I have a backup car(camry) and thats what I'm learning on currently.
Then find one thats mechanically sound and go for it

If your dads worried about power forget it the 70s for the most part were slow underpowered cars so no worries there. A V6 4 door Camry, mustang etc would just it.

Try and find one where the stuff underneath has already beengone through meaning suspension brakes that stuff cost $$.

Certain parts are vette only and cost more than avg

x2 on if youre in Ca do youself a favor and find something 75 or older smogging just about anything late model is becoming tougher, even bone stock 90s cars these days have trouble passing.

Its a healthy hobby, makes you work harder and keeps you out of trouble. Dont think these take a ton of skill to drive

They look fast but really, make good cruisers unless you start modifying them.

Take someone with you who REALLY knows these cars, couple specific things to look for that many car guys wont know (like where they rust)

Last edited by cv67; 05-19-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:23 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Then find one thats mechanically sound and go for it

If your dads worried about power forget it the 70s for the most part were slow underpowered cars so no worries there. A V6 4 door Camry, mustang etc would just it.

Try and find one where the stuff underneath has already beengone through meaning suspension brakes that stuff cost $$.

Certain parts are vette only and cost more than avg

x2 on if youre in Ca do youself a favor and find something 75 or older smogging just about anything late model is becoming tougher, even bone stock 90s cars these days have trouble passing.

Its a healthy hobby, makes you work harder and keeps you out of trouble. Dont think these take a ton of skill to drive

They look fast but really, make good cruisers unless you start modifying them.

Take someone with you who REALLY knows these cars, couple specific
things to look for that many car guys wont know (like where they rust)

I always forget some states have inspections...but what do you mean they make good cruiser "unless" modded some way modded c3's make better cruisers than in their stock form.
lots of cats here own such c3's
Old 05-19-2016, 07:39 PM
Humzah Ahmad
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Just file this food for thought,

I was 16-17 and bought a 72 bb convertible, at the time around 1980 and I paid about 5000.00 for it which was kind of high considering a new 80 z28 was about 7K,
The 72 already looked tired and I didn't know much of nothing about c3's there was no internet and no people to help me, I still wear the scar from the power steering pump repair, I have no doubt the car was rusty in bad ways, I liked pulling up to a stop light and dropping the top before the light changed, I really loved that car, but it was hot loud and unfriendly and I got so stupid I swapped it for a new at the time Camaro pace car the biggest POS gm ever made, and swapped that for an 81 corvette that I went on to dd for over 100K miles,

I have owned a lot of cars and a lot of corvettes, and it took me a long time to fix that mistake of swapping the 72 in 09 I got my current 69 bb convertible, this is not a trailer queen no show stopper but I am building the car I want.

At this stage I am guessing you haven't ridden in a c3, how about driven one, most sellers will not let anyone much less a young man take their corvette for a test ride but you need to go look at a lot of c3's in person, crawl around under them, smell them touch them,
get to know them, if possible go for test drives even if you only get to ride, perhaps a forum member is near you and would take you for a joy ride if you toss him some gas $$$,

Be sure this is what you really want then stop asking what year is best or best looking ALL c3's are the best year...each has it's pros and cons look at lots of pictures figure out which one YOU like best and go look at that type.....
this was helpful thank you.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:40 PM
Humzah Ahmad
Advanced

Originally Posted by ddawson
Were in CA are you. SMOG is an issue on 76 and newer cars.

75 had a catalyst but 74 didn't.

SMOG for older cars have been getting tighter and tighter.
Located in Sacramento
Old 05-19-2016, 08:03 PM
overBlown
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

For all the guys talking about airbags and abs, how in the heck did you survive then? Lol. And I don't think a C3 is a great first car unless it's already in excellent condition. We all love these cars but honestly, they are endless money pits that typically require more time, effort and money than they are fiscally worth. I don't blame your enthusiasm though and I hope whatever you get, you have a lot of fun with it.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:12 PM
Humzah Ahmad
Advanced

Thoughts on these?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5546575530.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5526130715.html
https://monterey.craigslist.org/cto/5545082435.html
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5580302523.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5587992121.html
https://monterey.craigslist.org/cto/5535088411.html
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5579804570.html
https://chico.craigslist.org/cto/5568469768.html
https://bakersfield.craigslist.org/cto/5589578784.html
https://visalia.craigslist.org/cto/5590041014.html
https://hanford.craigslist.org/cto/5541312873.html
https://humboldt.craigslist.org/cto/5508779005.html
https://redding.craigslist.org/cto/5560204010.html
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5593431027.html
https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/5583748536.html
https://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/5533109509.html
https://redding.craigslist.org/cto/5589409258.html

Last edited by Humzah Ahmad; 05-19-2016 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:35 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Consider a Honda Civic.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:37 PM
Humzah Ahmad
Advanced

Originally Posted by paul 74
Consider a Honda Civic.

hell no. I rather just drive my family's camry. For some reason everyone always ends up with a civic. I guess they're safe or something, but thats not me
Old 05-19-2016, 09:13 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Humzah Ahmad
Located in Sacramento
LOL I'm up here now. So if you get a 76+ you will have to smog it every two years. I can tell you it's pain. Try and find a 73 or 74. "No Cat"
Old 05-19-2016, 09:25 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

This one you linked too would never pass SMOG.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:34 PM
overBlown
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This one you linked too would never pass SMOG.
Yes, which is why it's registered in Florida so it doesn't have to. Got any relatives kid? LOL
Old 05-19-2016, 10:00 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

There are a few listed which I'd question. I saw one non-op.

That's also a red flag because why is it non-op? Won't pass smog?
Old 05-19-2016, 10:12 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

BTW what is your budget?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/5583641642.html

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Corvette as a first car

Old 05-19-2016, 10:40 PM
John92LT1
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are my 2 cents after just going through this twice with my kids. About 5 years ago, my daughter turned 16 and got the 1981 C3 I had since she was born. Please don't whine about the power & speed. The C3 had the least power of any of any vehicle in the household (including the Honda Minivan and my motorcycle), and it would not beat any base sedan off the line. Sure, it lacked ABS and airbags, but the vehicle was used in a 4 mile radius of our house where a few roads had (gasp!) 40 mph speed limits!. For freeway trips into the city or the like, she used our car. The vette is obviously only a 2 seater, so I never worried about her packing a ton of friends in it. Is the fiberglass fragile & expensive? Yes, and that is why she took incredible care of it for the 2 years of school- never even tapping that long, low front spoiler on a curb. She also learned more about troubleshooting & repair than if she had a new computer controlled car. Even if she/we couldn't fix a problem, she had to troubleshoot it pretty well. The best part is the joy of ownership and care she took of the car, which has carried over into her college car (which is newer and more reliable, since she has a 150 mile drive to school). I can't imagine she would have cared the same way if she had been in a 3rd hand beater civic. Did I mention she is now an official "car guy", too?

As for her younger brother, he got a hotter red 1979 L82 at 16. Yeah, a whopping 225 horsepower- don't try racing that Camry ... Anyway, similar result with the care and love they had for the cars. His part-time job is further away (~10mi), and he takes my WRX after school for that- and I'm glad he has experience in a car requiring more continuous attention & respect (without electronic nannies) before he started driving my much faster, higher limit beast.

One Dad friendly point- the kids found early on that having a car that stands out meant they couldn't get away with much. You know, the occasional text to me or his mom from friends, "hey I saw your boy in the vette the other day, and ..." Cue the lectures or losing the keys for a week.

So, recognize that the car will not be as reliable as others you could buy, it will take more regular TLC, there is no traction control to save your ^%% with the wide tires in the wet or snow (and the only tires you can get in that size are not the best in wet/snow), the brakes will be sub-par to a more modern car (not that they must be, I am referring to 40 year old brakes in your price range), and if you are in an accident- particularly at speed, the lack of airbags and crumple zones will be more of an issue. But, you will have something which you appreciate, and which you will probably not lose money on whenever you sell it (though you will spend more fixing things along the way...). Also recognize that if you wreck it, with the age & fiberglass, a minor incident will probably be a total, and you will not get much from the insurance company.

Good luck. There are plenty of links on this site with tips for purchasing your first car. Like others, I would recommend a mid 70's to 80, as they are easier on the pocketbook and not too high of hp.

John
The following users liked this post:
Humzah Ahmad (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 11:10 PM
Humzah Ahmad
Advanced

LOL I'm up here now. So if you get a 76+ you will have to smog it every two years. I can tell you it's pain. Try and find a 73 or 74. "No Cat"
I've been looking and cannot find any in good cond for in my budget
Old 05-19-2016, 11:10 PM
Humzah Ahmad
Advanced

Originally Posted by John92LT1
Here are my 2 cents after just going through this twice with my kids. About 5 years ago, my daughter turned 16 and got the 1981 C3 I had since she was born. Please don't whine about the power & speed. The C3 had the least power of any of any vehicle in the household (including the Honda Minivan and my motorcycle), and it would not beat any base sedan off the line. Sure, it lacked ABS and airbags, but the vehicle was used in a 4 mile radius of our house where a few roads had (gasp!) 40 mph speed limits!. For freeway trips into the city or the like, she used our car. The vette is obviously only a 2 seater, so I never worried about her packing a ton of friends in it. Is the fiberglass fragile & expensive? Yes, and that is why she took incredible care of it for the 2 years of school- never even tapping that long, low front spoiler on a curb. She also learned more about troubleshooting & repair than if she had a new computer controlled car. Even if she/we couldn't fix a problem, she had to troubleshoot it pretty well. The best part is the joy of ownership and care she took of the car, which has carried over into her college car (which is newer and more reliable, since she has a 150 mile drive to school). I can't imagine she would have cared the same way if she had been in a 3rd hand beater civic. Did I mention she is now an official "car guy", too?

As for her younger brother, he got a hotter red 1979 L82 at 16. Yeah, a whopping 225 horsepower- don't try racing that Camry ... Anyway, similar result with the care and love they had for the cars. His part-time job is further away (~10mi), and he takes my WRX after school for that- and I'm glad he has experience in a car requiring more continuous attention & respect (without electronic nannies) before he started driving my much faster, higher limit beast.

One Dad friendly point- the kids found early on that having a car that stands out meant they couldn't get away with much. You know, the occasional text to me or his mom from friends, "hey I saw your boy in the vette the other day, and ..." Cue the lectures or losing the keys for a week.

So, recognize that the car will not be as reliable as others you could buy, it will take more regular TLC, there is no traction control to save your ^%% with the wide tires in the wet or snow (and the only tires you can get in that size are not the best in wet/snow), the brakes will be sub-par to a more modern car (not that they must be, I am referring to 40 year old brakes in your price range), and if you are in an accident- particularly at speed, the lack of airbags and crumple zones will be more of an issue. But, you will have something which you appreciate, and which you will probably not lose money on whenever you sell it (though you will spend more fixing things along the way...). Also recognize that if you wreck it, with the age & fiberglass, a minor incident will probably be a total, and you will not get much from the insurance company.

Good luck. There are plenty of links on this site with tips for purchasing your first car. Like others, I would recommend a mid 70's to 80, as they are easier on the pocketbook and not too high of hp.

John
Def letting my dad read this

Quick Reply: C3 Corvette as a first car