C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help with these results! located in WA

Old 05-27-2016, 11:59 PM
momo608
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Not happy being Mr. negative but why would you buy a car like this if you can't do these kind of repairs? A 77 vette is not worth much in very good condition. This sounds like a used up vette that needs a restoration. If I were your financial adviser, I'd tell you to cut your losses and dump it. Save your money and buy a better vette and hire someone that knows what to look for check it out for you. A good financial adviser should tell you to forget the whole idea of buying an old car. They're pretty much money pits no matter what. The best deals are had on fully restored cars that unless rare, usually sell for far less than the actual restoration cost.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:13 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by momo608
Not happy being Mr. negative but why would you buy a car like this if you can't do these kind of repairs? A 77 vette is not worth much in very good condition. This sounds like a used up vette that needs a restoration. If I were your financial adviser, I'd tell you to cut your losses and dump it. Save your money and buy a better vette and hire someone that knows what to look for check it out for you. A good financial adviser should tell you to forget the whole idea of buying an old car. They're pretty much money pits no matter what. The best deals are had on fully restored cars that unless rare, usually sell for far less than the actual restoration cost.
I am trying hard to wrap my poor feeble brain around your logic here,
Neither you or I know details of the situation or car, we are assuming it all on an inspection from a shady shop,
However, this cat owns this car, perhaps he's upside down in it or perhaps he got it free, likely in-between but I sure do not know,
I do know that if it's not in your opinion worth him fixing it up why would it be worth anyone else fixing it up or did your remark to "dump" it mean literally take it to a land fill?
So it's just a parts car?
If you had the toad pelts to buy a restored car all turn key and pristine I am flattered but speaking from my own world and many other vette people I know we simply do not have that opinion we have to buy what we can afford and try to make our sows ears into silk purses,
I heck of a lot of guys here with beautiful finished cars and with projects started with cars just like the one this inspection runs down some were worse....
Old 05-28-2016, 12:34 AM
rajin cajin
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

$30,000.... Did I read that right??
Old 05-28-2016, 08:21 AM
momo608
Instructor

This person asked for opinions, I gave mine. I have had 50+ collector cars and I am not a dealer. I have made many costly mistakes mostly because I let my emotions get involved. Buying a car like this with no intention of doing the repairs yourself is a costly mistake. Good advice if I ever heard any. Dumping the car simply means to sell it, hard to believe you don't know that. Even if he did get the car for free, hiring out a "restoration" a piece at a time is a costly mistake particularly for a 77 vette. IMO!

I'm not putting a gun to anyone's head here.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:36 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

This person asked for opinions, I gave mine. I have had 50+ collector cars and I am not a dealer. I have made many costly mistakes mostly because I let my emotions get involved. Buying a car like this with no intention of doing the repairs yourself is a costly mistake. Good advice if I ever heard any. Dumping the car simply means to sell it, hard to believe you don't know that. Even if he did get the car for free, hiring out a "restoration" a piece at a time is a costly mistake particularly for a 77 vette. IMO!

I'm not putting a gun to anyone's head here.
50 cars, that's super...
Most are not in your boat.

While many people do agree that hiring out any work done to any car is a "costly mistake" sad fact is some people have to do just that to own the car of their dreams, some can buy a very nice car that doesn't need as much, others have to buy what they can afford and have stuff done as they can afford it, while I am one who couldn't afford a dream car if I didn't do the bulk of the work I will not disparage those who have to or desire to hire the work done no matter what the starting condition of the car is.

But yeah, you called your self Mr negative....
Old 05-28-2016, 08:57 AM
momo608
Instructor

Originally Posted by The13Bats
50 cars, that's super...
Most are not in your boat.

While many people do agree that hiring out any work done to any car is a "costly mistake" sad fact is some people have to do just that to own the car of their dreams, some can buy a very nice car that doesn't need as much, others have to buy what they can afford and have stuff done as they can afford it, while I am one who couldn't afford a dream car if I didn't do the bulk of the work I will not disparage those who have to or desire to hire the work done no matter what the starting condition of the car is.

But yeah, you called your self Mr negative....
"disparage" = regard or represent as being of little worth.

I see emotions run really high here. I disparaged the car not the guy. I have shown respect to the owner of this car, taking the time to giving him advice that I think will help him out. That is what he asked for?

Tell me, what do you think a run of the mill 77 vette in restored condition is worth? This is not a car that justifies the cost of restoration, sorry but true. Maybe he should be informed of that. It seems quite a few people here are cloudy to say the least on basic automotive knowledge.

He can do what he wants. From my experience people usually do not follow advice of any kind, good or bad. They insist on learning the hard way. I did.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:21 AM
momo608
Instructor

Interesting. By the description of the needed repairs of the Corvette in question. It appears this car would not make into the #4 "fair" condition. It certainly is not a "driver" quality car.

CURRENT & HISTORICAL VALUES 1977 Corvette

View current vehicle values and see how they’ve changed over time in 3-year, 5-year and to-date intervals. Compare these values to other vehicles and benchmark financial indices.
Current Values

#1 Concours$26,800
Condition #1 vehicles are the best in the world. The visual image is of the best vehicle, in the right colors, driving onto the lawn at the finest concours. Perfectly clean, the vehicle has been groomed down to the tire treads. Painted and chromed surfaces are mirror-like. Dust and dirt are banned, and materials used are correct and superbly fitted. The one word description for #1 vehicles is "concours."
#2 Excellent$13,900
#3 Good$9,800
#4 Fair$6,100
Value Adjustments

+$500 for close ratio 4-spd. -8% for auto trans. +$200 for pwr wndws. +$1,000 for a/c. +$400 for alum whls. +$500 for gymkhana suspension. +$750 for tilt/tele strng whl.

Condition Ratings
#1 vehicles are the best in the world. The visual image is of the best vehicle, in the right colors, driving onto the lawn at the finest concours. Perfectly clean, the vehicle has been groomed down to the tire treads. Painted and chromed surfaces are mirror-like. Dust and dirt are banned, and materials used are correct and superbly fitted. The one word description for #1 vehicles is "concours."

#2 vehicles could win a local or regional show. They can be former #1 vehicles that have been driven or have aged. Seasoned observers will have to look closely for flaws, but will be able to find some not seen by the general public. The paint, chrome, glass and finishes will all appear as excellent. No excessive smoke will be seen on startup, no unusual noises will emanate from the engine. The vehicle will drive as a new vehicle of its era would. The one word description for #2 vehicles is "excellent."

#3 vehicles could possess some, but not all of the issues of a #4 vehicle, but they will be balanced by other factors such as a fresh paint job or a new, correct interior where applicable. #3 vehicles drive and run well, but might have some incorrect parts. These vehicles are not used for daily transportation but are ready for a long tour without excuses, and the casual passerby will not find any visual flaws. "Good" is the one word description of a #3 vehicle.

#4 vehicles are daily drivers, with flaws visible to the naked eye. The chrome might have pitting or scratches, the windshield might be chipped. Paintwork is imperfect, and perhaps the body has a minor dent. Split seams or a cracked dash, where applicable, might be present. No major parts are missing, but the wheels could differ from the originals, or other non- stock additions might be present. A #4 vehicle can also be a deteriorated restoration. "Fair" is the one word that describes a #4 vehicle.

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuati...rolet-Corvette

Last edited by momo608; 05-28-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:42 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

"disparage" = regard or represent as being of little worth.

I knew what it meant...

I see emotions run really high here. I disparaged the car not the guy. I have shown respect to the owner of this car, taking the time to giving him advice that I think will help him out. That is what he asked for?

Sorry, I wasn't trying to get you all emotional...Advice? you told him to "dump" the car....actually I find many times when a person insults a car they DO insult the owner some people are very passionate about their cars...

Tell me, what do you think a run of the mill 77 vette in restored condition is worth? This is not a car that justifies the cost of restoration, sorry but true. Maybe he should be informed of that. It seems quite a few people here are cloudy to say the least on basic automotive knowledge.

Really? I find a lot of people on this forum to be above average on automotive knowledge, a few come with limited skills hunting help.
Most if not all restored cars here are not worth what the builder put into them

He can do what he wants. From my experience people usually do not follow advice of any kind, good or bad. They insist on learning the hard way. I did.
that's cool of you to allow him to do as he wants to...so you learned the hard way but get upset if people do not follow your opinions to the letter..okay, good luck with that.

Interesting. By the description of the needed repairs of the Corvette in question. It appears this car would not make into the #4 "fair" condition. It certainly is not a "driver" quality car.

CURRENT & HISTORICAL VALUES 1977 Corvette

View current vehicle values and see how they’ve changed over time in 3-year, 5-year and to-date intervals. Compare these values to other vehicles and benchmark financial indices.
Current Values

#1 Concours$26,800
Condition #1 vehicles are the best in the world. The visual image is of the best vehicle, in the right colors, driving onto the lawn at the finest concours. Perfectly clean, the vehicle has been groomed down to the tire treads. Painted and chromed surfaces are mirror-like. Dust and dirt are banned, and materials used are correct and superbly fitted. The one word description for #1 vehicles is "concours."
#2 Excellent$13,900
#3 Good$9,800
#4 Fair$6,100
Value Adjustments

+$500 for close ratio 4-spd. -8% for auto trans. +$200 for pwr wndws. +$1,000 for a/c. +$400 for alum whls. +$500 for gymkhana suspension. +$750 for tilt/tele strng whl.

Condition Ratings
#1 vehicles are the best in the world. The visual image is of the best vehicle, in the right colors, driving onto the lawn at the finest concours. Perfectly clean, the vehicle has been groomed down to the tire treads. Painted and chromed surfaces are mirror-like. Dust and dirt are banned, and materials used are correct and superbly fitted. The one word description for #1 vehicles is "concours."

#2 vehicles could win a local or regional show. They can be former #1 vehicles that have been driven or have aged. Seasoned observers will have to look closely for flaws, but will be able to find some not seen by the general public. The paint, chrome, glass and finishes will all appear as excellent. No excessive smoke will be seen on startup, no unusual noises will emanate from the engine. The vehicle will drive as a new vehicle of its era would. The one word description for #2 vehicles is "excellent."

#3 vehicles could possess some, but not all of the issues of a #4 vehicle, but they will be balanced by other factors such as a fresh paint job or a new, correct interior where applicable. #3 vehicles drive and run well, but might have some incorrect parts. These vehicles are not used for daily transportation but are ready for a long tour without excuses, and the casual passerby will not find any visual flaws. "Good" is the one word description of a #3 vehicle.

#4 vehicles are daily drivers, with flaws visible to the naked eye. The chrome might have pitting or scratches, the windshield might be chipped. Paintwork is imperfect, and perhaps the body has a minor dent. Split seams or a cracked dash, where applicable, might be present. No major parts are missing, but the wheels could differ from the originals, or other non- stock additions might be present. A #4 vehicle can also be a deteriorated restoration. "Fair" is the one word that describes a #4 vehicle.

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuati...rolet-Corvette
then a heck of a lot of people here had cars in the 3 or 4...and didn't take them to the dump.

Last edited by The13Bats; 05-28-2016 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:32 AM
centuryoldracer
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by djllort
Hi.. I recently took my c3 to the mechanic and he told me it would cost me about $30,000 to fix my car because of a clunking noise in the back? which I think its absurd.. if there is anyone in WA that has mechanical experience with Corvettes and can tell me what's going on? I dont mind paying for the time.. we can arrange something.

I live in Federal Way, WA

I like others am scratching my head wondering if 30,000 is a typo.
I live about 5 hours from you in north Idaho, and have been a professional mechanic self employed for 32 years, and have personally owned over 200 c-2 and c-3 corvettes, most of them were c-3s. PM me if you want help, and I will give you my phone#.
I could at least help you over the phone and get you pointed in the right direction, and probably find a good shop in your area.
I have customers that regularly ship cars to me from all over the country.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Please help with these results! located in WA