25th Anniversary Color Options

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 11:55 AM
SQwheeler
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 25th Anniversary Color Options

Greetings C3 mavens!

I have been lurking, but not many posts, and now have a question regarding a prospective purchase.

I am looking at a 1978 that is listed as 25th anniversary. My question surrounds the available color combinations for that year, as this one is two tone with a darker blue on the top and silver on the bottom. It also has what seems to be a Pace Car rear spoiler.

It was my understanding that the Anniversary cars were two tone light and dark silver, and the Pace Cars black and silver. Was there a special option for this cars combination, or should I be asking about it having a custom repaint?

I may be looking at the car next week, and want to go in with some good knowledge. No VIN or option codes available right now, but will likely ask for both if the current owner has them.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Old 05-27-2016, 12:07 PM
Go Vette Go
Red Road Warrior

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 199 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11, '15, '19

Hi Tom and welcome to CF.

Actually, all 78's were Silver Anniversary cars with 2 additional paint schemes - the Silver Anniversary Edition with the 2 tone silver, and the Pace Car with the silver and black.

The car you describe was not a standard paint option. If you open the driver door and look at the trim tag to the right of the upper hinge, there will be codes for the paint and interior. The Silver Anniversary Edition was code 13/07

John
Old 05-27-2016, 12:32 PM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

To give you some background information here is a good link:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...978/index.html

click on the "identification numbers" & "production & performance" on the left.

The vin will tell if it left the factory as a L82 or L48. The trim tag will also tell you the date the trim tag was attached on the production line. It will be a letter for month and # for the day, top right corner.

Good luck with your search.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:36 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

The car you're looking at has been painted. All regular production 78s were a single color.

Old 05-27-2016, 03:40 PM
SQwheeler
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painted!

Thanks for all the replies!

I spoke to the seller at last and he confirmed that it had the silver bottom applied some time before 1980. He purchased it recently from its second and long term owner who said it was that way when he bought it in 1980.

It was my suspicion that it had been that way based on my own research but wanted to consult with CF since there could be special order cars outside normal production.

My plan is to possibly inspect the car next week. We shall see!

Thanks again!

TC

PS: I actually like the combo.
Attached Images  
Old 05-27-2016, 03:48 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

All 78 Corvettes came with "25th Anniversary" emblems on the nose and gas door.

The Silver Anniversary Package was an option offered on 78 Corvettes. The 78 Silver Anniversary included a special two-tone Silver over Charcoal Gray paint treatment, aluminum wheels, sport mirrors, and unique gray pin striping. The recommended interiors for the Silver Anniversary Package were black, red & oyster, but I have also seen silver anniversary cars with the dark blue and mahogany interiors.

The Pace Car was a "limited edition" (if you consider 6502 cars limited) 78 Corvette offered to commemorate the Corvette being the Pace Car for the 78 Indy 500. The Pace Car was painted a special black over silver, and included a Pace Car only silver interior. Pace Cars also included special aluminum wheels, mirrored glass t-tops, and front and rear spoilers.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:53 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by SQwheeler
...I actually like the combo...
Me, too. Pace Car scheme in blue.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:39 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Me, too. Pace Car scheme in blue.

I like it as well.

im pretty sure it's not a repainted pace car. I thought the PC trim was dark, not "unpainted" like this one.

If you can post a pic of the trim tag in the door that'll help tell some more of the story.

From the one photo it appears to have been cared for at least.

Last edited by Dodosmike; 05-27-2016 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:32 AM
cdavis03
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
All 78 Corvettes came with "25th Anniversary" emblems on the nose and gas door.

The Silver Anniversary Package was an option offered on 78 Corvettes. The 78 Silver Anniversary included a special two-tone Silver over Charcoal Gray paint treatment, aluminum wheels, sport mirrors, and unique gray pin striping. The recommended interiors for the Silver Anniversary Package were black, red & oyster, but I have also seen silver anniversary cars with the dark blue and mahogany interiors.

The Pace Car was a "limited edition" (if you consider 6502 cars limited) 78 Corvette offered to commemorate the Corvette being the Pace Car for the 78 Indy 500. The Pace Car was painted a special black over silver, and included a Pace Car only silver interior. Pace Cars also included special aluminum wheels, mirrored glass t-tops, and front and rear spoilers.
Recently just bought a Silver Anniversary Edition with the blue interior and a 4spd, not very common which I didnt know when I bought haha

Get notified of new replies

To 25th Anniversary Color Options

Quick Reply: 25th Anniversary Color Options