Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fiberglass issues

Old 05-28-2016, 11:24 PM
Jason Burt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fiberglass issues

Hey gang! My 76 has some issues with the hood and the t-tops. After sitting in the sun for way too long, the paint started crackling and peeling. There are places on the hood where even the gel coat is gone, you can see the fine fibers of the fiberglass... same thing on the t-top (passenger side) most of the paint and gelcoat are gone there too... just raw fiberglass. My question is simply: How do i fix it? Do I need to apply more resin and sand or can it just be epoxied or gelcoated over and prepped for paint like usual? Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated. Hood will likely be a practice piece as I plan to switch it out for a "Stinger" hood before i paint the car.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:45 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,922 Likes on 4,771 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

It's not fiberglass its SMC if your paint is falling off there was improper prep with contaminants on the body causing poor adhesion. So the paint must be stripped and proper prep must take place. Curious why there is gel coat that was not done originaly so it's not needed
Old 05-29-2016, 09:27 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Factory panels did not have gelcoat. You will need to seal the affected areas to prevent further deterioration. A good quality primer/sealer might work. A top coat of resin could work, but would several mils thick and require pre-paint prep. Aftermarket spray gel-coat might be a better choice.

Have you posted in Paint?

Old 05-30-2016, 07:14 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Posting GOOD photos in this scenario would be GREATLY helpful.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To fiberglass issues

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fiberglass issues