C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fyi '68 corvette on wheeler dealers -THREADS MERGED

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 01:30 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by safecents
Check out my pictures.
Why not post some?
Attached Images    
Old 06-30-2016, 08:20 AM
Wg72C3
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Wheeler Dealers 68 Convertible

Wheeler Dealers on the Velocity channel had a new episode last night where they bought and fixed up a 1968 Corvette Convertible. Beautiful car! Great episode for those of us that love C3's. Nothing too fancy, rebuilt Holley carb, electronic ignition, wiper issues and brake calipers. But the kicker is the test drive on a dry lake bed in California. Very cool.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:32 AM
gguillot
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Entertaining episode. Never seen a car gets so dusty, so fast! Was hoping they would get into more extensive repairs, but it was fun nevertheless. Also, what's the deal with Mike doing repairs? He's never done that before. Wonder if Ed went on strike in the middle of the episode.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:51 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Enjoyed watching the show last night They certainly gave it a thorough flogging on that dust bed.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:53 AM
teamo
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts

Yeah I was wondering about Mike doing the repairs also. He had his own toolbox too. He usually plays the part of the guy just doing the deals but who knows he's been a car guy for a very long time and he may actually know his way around with a wrench in his hand.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:57 AM
Wg72C3
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

They looked like they had a blast on the dry lake bed! They forget to add the price of the wash and detail, it must have been expensive, but totally worth it!!!
Old 06-30-2016, 12:13 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

they got those brake rotors on the rear ,off very easy.Not sure I understood why the wipers were taken off the motor.The switch worked so what was wrong.Those guys did enjoy the car .fun to watch.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:24 PM
vmsns007
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts

I had same thought on wiper arms off.
Wouldnt be first time one of these shows staged something needing fixed that wasnt real.
Otherwise it was fun seeing the show

Originally Posted by terry82
they got those brake rotors on the rear ,off very easy.Not sure I understood why the wipers were taken off the motor.The switch worked so what was wrong.Those guys did enjoy the car .fun to watch.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:29 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

Ed never showed how he did the Hans "Tuning 4 Beer" fix on the throttle linkage to give full travel.

At least, I'm assuming that's what ge did.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:35 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Wg72C3
They looked like they had a blast on the dry lake bed! They forget to add the price of the wash and detail, it must have been expensive, but totally worth it!!!
Oh yeah, the "dry lake bed" was fun.

How did they leave audible "scratch" and black tire marks on dirt?

Why were they "squeeling" the tires on dirt when doing the "autocross?"

Actually, the audio is dubbed in afterwards.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:03 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

I don't think Iv'e seen Edd this enthusiastic about a car in a long time! Even doing extra "test drives" whenever he could. They really made the C3 look good.

Last edited by zwede; 06-30-2016 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:39 PM
Docbrock
Team Owner

Received 444 Likes on 218 Posts

The car sure did look good. There was one scene, I think when they were in the desert, where Ed was standing next to the C3. It barely came up past his knees, haha.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:10 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by terry82
Originally Posted by vmsns007
I had same thought on wiper arms off.
Wouldnt be first time one of these shows staged something needing fixed that wasnt real.
Otherwise it was fun seeing the show
The wiring harness had a Bubba fix, adding an extra ground to the interlock switch circuit making the switch ineffective. The wiper motor would come on when the door was closed. They fixed this first, then uncovered the disconnected wipers. No idea why someone would want to wire the motor to come on with the door closed unless there was a problem with the door mechanism. In that case some prior owner would have had to remove the door to allow the wipers to run. Seemed rather suspicious. Strange how it appeared to have a later year vacuum servo for the wipers, looked like a 70 or newer. Maybe Bubba really was in there fixing the wipers at one time?

I don't necessarily buy the story of the 327 actually producing 25HP more than advertised as they stated.

None the less it was great to see a show where the hosts were actually enthusiastic about a C3. I recall an episode of Fast N Loud where the regarded the C3 to be a joke, hideous, couldn't rid themselves of it fast enough.

Nice looking car.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:59 PM
safecents
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Wheeler Dealers 1968 Corvette C3

Originally Posted by BBCorv70
The wiring harness had a Bubba fix, adding an extra ground to the interlock switch circuit making the switch ineffective. The wiper motor would come on when the door was closed. They fixed this first, then uncovered the disconnected wipers. No idea why someone would want to wire the motor to come on with the door closed unless there was a problem with the door mechanism. In that case some prior owner would have had to remove the door to allow the wipers to run. Seemed rather suspicious. Strange how it appeared to have a later year vacuum servo for the wipers, looked like a 70 or newer. Maybe Bubba really was in there fixing the wipers at one time?

I don't necessarily buy the story of the 327 actually producing 25HP more than advertised as they stated.

None the less it was great to see a show where the hosts were actually enthusiastic about a C3. I recall an episode of Fast N Loud where the regarded the C3 to be a joke, hideous, couldn't rid themselves of it fast enough.

Nice looking car.
The previous owner disconnected the wipers because the vacuum servo was not working. The headlights did not work either so they installed new vacuum servos. That is why your sharp eye noticed the switch.

AS far as the horsepower of the car....this is a true 327 cu in 350hp motor, albeit out of a Camaro, but so what, I would rather have this motor than the stock 300hp. It has the aluminum intake and the Holley carb which a Vet never had, I think.

I have a BMW 335i twin turbo putting out 300hp at the rear wheels and 300torque and as soon as I got the Corvette home I set up a little race. The Corvette beat the 335i. I believe 350hp at the flywheel for the Vet.

Mark
949-350-3851 cell/text
Old 06-30-2016, 04:03 PM
safecents
Intermediate

I saw a Wheeler Dealer ad for a Sunbeam Alpine on Craigslist so I went to check it out and saw the Corvette and wanted it.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:04 PM
safecents
Intermediate

Originally Posted by toddalin
Ed never showed how he did the Hans "Tuning 4 Beer" fix on the throttle linkage to give full travel.

At least, I'm assuming that's what ge did.
The owner's husband is a drag racer and we think he fooled with the carb so his wife would not kill herself in this car.

Mark
Old 06-30-2016, 04:10 PM
safecents
Intermediate

Default C3 Corvette TV Show

Originally Posted by ed427vette
Except that the car did not sell to those two TV "buyers" for the 26k offer. so maybe it became an issue. If they were desperate to sell hopefully Safecents paid a more sensible price.
They paid 20k for the car, put in around 4k to 5K in parts, they did WAY more stuff than what you see on the show and a total of over 200 man hours.

The car is basically brand new mechanically. It should go 100k miles before you have to replace anything major and it drives better and faster than when new.

It also looks like it rolled off the showroom floor. They color sand the cars so they are showroom shiny, they polished all the chrome.

My hats off to Edd and Mike, they not only put out a great show but a great car.

Mark
...and he's called Mock

Get notified of new replies

To Fyi '68 corvette on wheeler dealers -THREADS MERGED

Old 06-30-2016, 04:23 PM
safecents
Intermediate

Default Info on Wheeler Dealers C3

Originally Posted by Wg72C3
Wheeler Dealers on the Velocity channel had a new episode last night where they bought and fixed up a 1968 Corvette Convertible. Beautiful car! Great episode for those of us that love C3's. Nothing too fancy, rebuilt Holley carb, electronic ignition, wiper issues and brake calipers. But the kicker is the test drive on a dry lake bed in California. Very cool.
They did WAY more than that.
New seals and gaskets in the engine, resealed the rear axle, New clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, new modern gas charged shocks, tilt steering column, 2.5" manifold back stainless exhaust system with crossover pipe and Magnaflows. New vacuum servos. color paint sand. polished all the chrome.

When someone buys a Wheeler Dealer car they get a great driver's restoration.

Mark

949-350-3851 cell/text
Old 06-30-2016, 04:33 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

AS far as the horsepower of the car....this is a true 327 cu in 350hp motor, albeit out of a Camaro, but so what, I would rather have this motor than the stock 300hp. It has the aluminum intake and the Holley carb which a Vet never had, I think.
Since it's not the original engine, absolutely, go for the best HP. A friend had a 68, yellow, with the high perfomance SB. Gave me a ride one day, quite impressive in the day.

So they had at least $25K + labor into the car.

IMO no law against NOMs increasing in value along with 'numbers cars'. You usually get what you pay for.

Again, nice car.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:45 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

The previous owner disconnected the wipers because the vacuum servo was not working. The headlights did not work either so they installed new vacuum servos. That is why your sharp eye noticed the switch.

I have a BMW 335i twin turbo putting out 300hp at the rear wheels and 300torque and as soon as I got the Corvette home I set up a little race. The Corvette beat the 335i. I believe 350hp at the flywheel for the Vet.

Mark
949-350-3851 cell/text
The BMW N54/55 335i's are low 13 second cars stock..very impressive.

Quick Reply: Fyi '68 corvette on wheeler dealers -THREADS MERGED