Sponsored by:

Cost of insurance as a daily?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 11:44 AM
jsera
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Cost of insurance as a daily?

Didn't want to hijack cdavis03's thread, but anyone using their C3 as a daily and have it insured with stated value mind sharing how much they pay? I'm considering putting my vette on daily duty at the age of 23 and getting rid of my current daily for space and one less insurance payment.

I got a quote from hagerty for 1800 a year with 10000 miles/year and lumping in my 72 C10 as a non daily "shows/meets" car
Old 06-29-2016, 12:06 PM
76C3forme
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

This is always a very interesting topic. "Regular Insurance" is a "very local thing". But classic car insurance seem to be more "stable" / consistent across the board.

I'm in PA and our regular auto insurance is kind of high here - but not too horrible. I'm also 47 so that can be a big difference as well.

What I sometimes do is (I work local now), pull off my BMW 540 and put on one of the old cars that I may be working on / have in primer etc. I'm only paying about $800/year full coverage for the '98 540 and about $700 / year each for my wife's Saab convertible and my F150 each with full coverage, and adding an older car seems to always come in around $500 or so.

Adding the C3 (if it was finished) wouldn't make any real difference in cost - HOWEVER - I normally wouldn't do that on my regular policy , due to the fact that it's my "regular" policy and trying to get them to insure for it's actual value is a hassle and most likely not as cost effective as a specialty company.

I think based on your age, that $1800 could seem in the ballpark for Hagerty / Insured for it's value / 10,000 miles a year etc. In the past, when I've inquired about my Hurst / Olds - appraised at $15,300 about 5 years ago, they were in the $900-$1000 range if I remember correctly (Which I actually thought was a bit high at the time). .

With 30,000 miles on her now , I have no interest in putting on any substantial miles so I wouldn't be driving it that much - I was just curious for a quote. I can't seem to remember though what the other quote was with limited driving / to shows etc..

This is a good post. I'm curious as well to see any other replies from people currently using the specialty companies and what their average price is. It's been awhile since I've had "the old ones" on the road, but as my workload decreases, I do want to get them out there and have some fun...
Old 06-29-2016, 12:54 PM
cdavis03
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Not stealing, helping me out haha, didn't get too much advice on my post haha
Old 06-29-2016, 01:54 PM
76C3forme
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

I'm sure others will chime in. I'm curious to see the costs as well.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:56 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Go through the Haggerty website wizard multiple times tweaking the options and you'll figure out what changes make the most difference fairly rapidly.

In my case where the car is stored makes the most difference. If it's kept in your garage or a rented, secured storage unit it's considerably cheaper than if it's parked outside in a space or a lot.

Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 06-29-2016 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:29 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

I have unlimited mileage on my vette with the classic insurance.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:55 PM
jsera
Instructor

Originally Posted by 540 vette
I have unlimited mileage on my vette with the classic insurance.
Unlimited you say? I like the sound of that! What company are you with?
Old 06-29-2016, 02:59 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by jsera
He's going to say "Haggerty"....

Haggerty's the best deal around; you just have to run through the wizard a few different ways.

The fact that they'll tow you with a soft rope, flat bed tow truck whenever you break down is also PRICELESS. --That alone takes 50lbs off the weight of your C3 (remove the spare tire and just hit SpeedDial+2 when you get a flat! lol!).

Adam
Old 06-29-2016, 03:17 PM
jsera
Instructor

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
That alone takes 50lbs off the weight of your C3 (remove the spare tire and just hit SpeedDial+2 when you get a flat! lol!).

Adam
Think of the performance gains!

I chuckled a bit when I went through their site and under use they had racing...(I would never, not even in my wildest dreams track it...cough cough lol)
Old 06-29-2016, 04:25 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Insurance

You mentioned that you are getting quotes for stated value. Do yourself and your car a favor and go with agreed value. With stated value, the insurance company will use that as a starting point to bargain you down in the event of a loss. Jerry
Old 06-30-2016, 08:18 AM
jsera
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
You mentioned that you are getting quotes for stated value. Do yourself and your car a favor and go with agreed value. With stated value, the insurance company will use that as a starting point to bargain you down in the event of a loss. Jerry
Good to know! Fortunately I haven't been in that dilemma myself!
Old 06-30-2016, 09:35 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Age 72 here, arthritic as hell, so I live about a mile off the main shopping highway.....One mile to anything from parts through HD, bank, food stores, burgers, gasoline choices....

some maybe ten-12 years ago I reset the odo to something easy to do, and that was 50k even.....my car is a '72 so olde tyme 5 digit odos and mechanical too boot.....I just looked at the thing 58k and change.....so in a dozen or so years I drove 8k miles....

it sets in the garage most of the time, obviously, and wife's car turns over twice that use in a year, much less a dozen......
Old 06-30-2016, 10:09 AM
jsera
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrvette
Age 72 here, arthritic as hell, so I live about a mile off the main shopping highway.....One mile to anything from parts through HD, bank, food stores, burgers, gasoline choices....

some maybe ten-12 years ago I reset the odo to something easy to do, and that was 50k even.....my car is a '72 so olde tyme 5 digit odos and mechanical too boot.....I just looked at the thing 58k and change.....so in a dozen or so years I drove 8k miles....

it sets in the garage most of the time, obviously, and wife's car turns over twice that use in a year, much less a dozen......
That was the case for our vette too until I drove it in college a few months and it saw more miles in 2-3 months than it had in 10 years. I'm hoping to work out the few issues she has left and keep her out of the garage a bit more.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:15 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by jsera

American Modern.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:14 PM
golfboy
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Cost of insurance

An interesting thread. I do not have collector car insurance as I don't agree with their restrictions. I have a 1978 Indy Pace Car and have it insured with State Farm on a regular policy with no restrictions on driving it. I pay $700 a year and feel that that is reasonable with full coverage on the car. I do not have stated or agreed value on the policy and in the event of a total loss, I will take whatever the book value on the car is and buy another Corvette. That works for me.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:03 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by golfboy
An interesting thread. I do not have collector car insurance as I don't agree with their restrictions. I have a 1978 Indy Pace Car and have it insured with State Farm on a regular policy with no restrictions on driving it. I pay $700 a year and feel that that is reasonable with full coverage on the car. I do not have stated or agreed value on the policy and in the event of a total loss, I will take whatever the book value on the car is and buy another Corvette. That works for me.

So you like paying $700 a year compared to the $150 a year you might pay with classic insurance. And if your car was totaled you would rather have the $5000 or whatever you might get as compared to the value that you put on the car, lets say 15k. That's what I have my 80 insured for. That doesn't make sense.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:56 AM
golfboy
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

540vette, as stated above, I have no restrictions on my policy. I use my Vette as a daily driver. I do not have another car to drive and I put about 5000 to 6000 miles a year on it. I checked with Hagerty and others like them but they require you to drive another car and not use the Vette as a daily driver, also tell you how much miles you can have and even where you can drive it (some of them). I choose not to be governed by these restrictions, so, yes I don't mind paying $700 a year for my insurance coverage.

Get notified of new replies

To Cost of insurance as a daily?

Old 07-01-2016, 11:25 AM
sierra 43
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

On some cars I agree with golfboy. I tried classic car insurance on my 12 Camaro ZL1, It was going to be about $700 a year, with mileage restrictions, when I used it, and where. $1000 a year full coverage, replacement of my car with a year newer one, and use it when I want with Amica, (my 2 Ford trucks are with them to). I don't drive it a lot, but I do take trips to Orlando or Tampa for dinner and such. My Corvettes are insured with Haggerty as they are driven less and I like the agreed upon value.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:05 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

hagerty isnt bad on rates but if you have a modded motor better tell them just sit down when you hear the rate
Good coverage/rate with NCM/Adam Boca here on the forum....should call him havent even driven it in a yr

Read the fine print in your policy if you stay with Hagerty get a copy of it what the agent "says" means nothing if you have a claim fwiw.

If its a DD and agreed value dont know if you can get it covered if its not in a locked garage. Curious to hear what you find out

Last edited by cv67; 07-01-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:01 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

I look at it like this, if you have a nice car that fits with in the he Bluebook costs to replace then normal stated insurance should be fine. You of course have to deal with the payout negotiations.

If you take this same car and spend another 10 grands to strip and repaint your investment is now at risk. You will get some back with receipts but not all of it. As time goes on you get less back.

That's when an agreed policy really starts to shine. The more you spend to restore the further you get from bluebook value.

Quick Reply: Cost of insurance as a daily?