C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An altered perspective on late mid-late 70's performance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 12:53 PM
Jonz79
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default An altered perspective on late mid-late 70's performance.

Last edited by Jonz79; 04-23-2018 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:42 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonz79
As the proud owner of a nicely preserved 79 C3, I admit, I am a bit biased here, but prior to getting this car, I had already been looking at the "lowered" performance of the mid-late 70's, early 80's cars with a new perspective.
We all know that the Gov/EPA was heavily in the manufacturer's business by 72. We all have had the conversation, either referring to a car we owned/own, or referencing (nicely bashing) a car someone else owns, the discussion being: "muscle" ended in 1971. (or something to that effect)
Now, at 52 years young, having owned many muscle cars, including 68, 70, 71, 72, 74....and so on, my perspective has changed. If you look at these cars, say 1974-1979 (lets stick with the non-comp cars for discussion-sake), keep the discussion relevant to the times they were produced, the discussion, as well as the memory/reality becomes much clearer. Example: a 1979 (like mine...) L48 put out 195 HP. That seems anemic, when compared to the BB of the early 70's, for sure, and many small blocks as well. However, a 1972 base-350 Vette, only had 5 more HP, at 200, and unlike the 3.55 cog that came standard in 79, you were relegated to a 3.36 gear. However, you got more choices. You could go for the big-dog, and many, if not most did. So, it could be said that the choices were limited post 73, maybe not so much that the cars just pain sucked! Despite the higher GROSS HP #'s of many of the earlier cars, the performance numbers, especially when comparing the early base models, were not that different to the later cars. Now, when you factor in better brakes, steering, and other updated components, the comparisons get more complicated. I for one can say emphatically, the latter 70's cars were a much nicer ride than the 60's, early 70's cars I owned. (mostly uni-body, and almost all Camaros!). I have driven 70-72 Stingrays, and although the LT-1 was a stout motor, with better heads (2.02), bigger carb (780cfm), 4 bolt main, etc.....the cars overall were rather rickety, and the motors more finicky than say my 78 TA, or this 79 C3 for that matter. My point is: perhaps we give all of the cars a bit of a bum-rap (I have as well), and do not fully consider that in THEIR day, relative to THEIR time, they were the premier choices, and represented America's fastest/best handling automobiles. I remember my cousin Corinda (coolest chick ever) getting a brand-new, spankin new....80 Z28. Black on black. had the induction hood thingy, beautiful car. She let me have the keys. It was pure heaven, all....what 180HP of it. YEP. And having owned a 100% original survivor, mint 1972 M-21, LT-1 Z28 for years, I can tell you,...now, at my age.....doing what I realistically do with these cars, I would take that black 80, and twice on Sunday.
It's all relative. I love muscle, always have. But, dare I say, in my middle-age, as my muscles get a tad softer.......so does my outlook on the entire "muscle-car" gene-pool. My 79 rocks, as does the 73', 74, 75, 76, 77, 78.......ahhh, you get the idea. Just my silly perspective, hope it didn't offend anyone, or come off preachy. Just meant to bring some thought, discussion, and anything else you wish to throw my way. I still have volumes to learn.
PS No sense in comparing to TODAY'S performance. That was not the intent. That is a whole other can-o-worms, and I can list just as many annoying things about the super high powered cars of now (I own one).....proving once and for all, I am indeed a DINOSAUR. lol
Jonz79, Well stated..I sorta scratch my old head..when I read about HP/TORQUE in Muscle cars..;0 or in newer fast cars with HP well in excess of their CID..My son in law bought a new ZOOBARU with 300 rated HP..which is a function of weight to actual HP..
Some of the newer hottest cars have HP well over 500 and attain speeds 0-60, 1/4 mile or top end that are NOT legal ANYWHERE IN AMERICA EXCEPT THE CLOSED COURSE TRACK..

I sure never cared about burning rubber or pulling wheelies in ANY car..back in the 60's or today..as a younger man or now when i'm pushing 70 and doing my best to recover from a terminal brain cancer surgery..I spent money for best tires etc and never drove any car like it was stolen..
As far as beefing up a stock engine..My experience has been that unless one pays attention to the rest of the systems and upgrades them appropriately to match complement the upgraded engine hp/torque..he will suffer failures or poor operation in other systems from cooling to brakes to drive train-tranny.
While those who engineered.designed those older cars..did't get everything perfectly done by a long shot..They Did do extensive testing on systems to insure that (as archaic as they were considering what we know now..)they worked and complemented the rest of the car's systems to function well and reliably..

MY old '78 SA with it's Rochester Q-Jet and L48 350 with the old TurboHydromatic auto trans..sure runs well both from a standing start all the way up close to the max speed limit anywhere even in the western US.Never had it close tothe 5k redline.
Drive 'em intelligently, get them roadworthy and maintain them and attend to other drivers and keep the shiny side UP!!!Jim
MY own perspective in no way minimizes the effort and work and expense ANYONE else wants to expend on his own car to increase the WOW factor or other endeavors..

Last edited by jim in oregon; 07-08-2016 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:57 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

I am 51 so not too far from you, I owned many corvettes and other vehicles and I too have heard all the pissing and moaning about the death of the muscle car, and while you stated and compared that late model only had 5 hp less than a base 72 but several things engage in my mind,
in 72 people had hipo options in 79 and years before that no hipo options were even available, and that 72 just has a "feel" over a 79 or in my case 81
I loved my 81's yeah, so much so I have owned two but while they were fun cars, and I daily drove one over 100K miles with no issues they were no where near the beasts my 66, 69, 72 etc were and in my case I am far more drawn to the beast in the c3 over the beauty of the later refined years,
I never considered my 81's performance cars until after I modded them,
I guess it's all what we want and what we do with out c3,
While I have owned vettes from 16-17 years old and never been with out a vette or vettes some of my tastes have changed but my vision of the car has remained the same, I still desire a corvette with more hp than I need or can use, and I am not talking about zillions of hp just more up around 300hp very streetable and the vette still feels like a vette...
The following users liked this post:
jim in oregon (07-08-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To An altered perspective on late mid-late 70's performance.

Quick Reply: An altered perspective on late mid-late 70's performance.