Sponsored by:

Setting the timing

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 11:08 AM
imariver
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Setting the timing

Can someone post a link to any articles describing how to set / map the timing curve ?

Thanks
Old 07-09-2016, 11:25 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...long-post.html
The following users liked this post:
imariver (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 10:11 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

http://www.lbfun.com/warehouse/tech_...101Article.pdf
Old 07-10-2016, 03:00 PM
76C3forme
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette

Great Article. (Both of them).

It is true. As the years go by, you do see where the knowledge "drops off" as far as the older systems. Every time I work on something with points, I have to read my old Chiltons Manuals for a refresher!

I guess that's progress though !

The thing I see most often nowadays (with the "younger crowd"), is that the "basics" of engines, brakes, how cars run, how they "break" etc, seems to be a bit weaker. I guess this is because many newer cars are difficult to work on / or for many, there is no desire to do the work (just take it in to the dealer / it's under warranty etc / or return it an lease another... problem solved..).

We're kind of in a "throw-away" society. When things used to break when I was a kid, we had to fix them. My old Bikes, mini-bikes, dirt-bikes / then motorcycles and eventually cars. We just didn't have the money to buy new things like that. I learned from my dad how to repair things, see how they work when they are running so you know what to do when they break.

I still remember my first car (1968 Mustang). I get home and there is steam coming from the front grille. My dad shows me how to remove the radiator, remove a few fins, and crimp and solder the end tanks and eliminate the row that was leaking. He said "removing a row or 2 won't hurt anything, this is how you fix it, just put some money aside for a new radiator in the future".

Now that I'm 47, sometimes it doesn't even come down to "not having the money" to replace a car, but more of a desire to not waste money when something can be repaired. Luckily my wife feels the same way. She doesn't need a brand new car every 3 years and always asks "it it worth fixing and keeping another 2 years?".

But that ramble above really is an entire topic to itself though !

Love the forums for this exact reason, the knowledge is continually "passed on" to others and the old cars continue to live on.!!!

Hey Government: Do as much as you want to try to remove these old cars from the planet. We're not standing by for it. We will fix them, upgrade them and continue to drive them !!

Last edited by 76C3forme; 07-10-2016 at 03:06 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Setting the timing

Quick Reply: Setting the timing