Sponsored by:

Can I dye/paint this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 05:14 PM
cdavis03
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Can I dye/paint this?

So I bought a 78' SAE a few weeks back and the body work and paint is 90% done! Now i'm going to get started on the interior and I was wondering if there was a way to make my carpets not so ugly haha, i'm guessing the car was in the sun too long and it just discolored but can I spray it with something or is there a cheap way to dye it? I would just buy new but i'm only 16 and don't have the money right now as i'd like to register/insure it in the upcoming week, thanks for the help and if you know any products I could use let me know! Thanks! Name:  photo790.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  1.05 MB
Old 07-10-2016, 05:16 PM
cdavis03
Racer

Also is there some kind of patch or something I can get for the drivers side seat? You can see a little hole in the picture on it and i'd like to fix that aswell!
Old 07-10-2016, 06:04 PM
CFLVette
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by cdavis03
<---SNIP---I was wondering if there was a way to make my carpets not so ugly haha, i'm guessing the car was in the sun too long and it just discolored but can I spray it with something or is there a cheap way to dye it?<---SNIP--->
I've heard a few people report that SEM Color Coat works well on carpets. Have not used it for that purpose myself so cannot give you more specifics, but SEM products are excellent.

https://www.semproducts.com/refinish...oattm-aerosols

BTW, I think Summit has the lowest price on SEM Color Coat paints right now.

This video may also provide some additional info for you.

As far as the driver's seat, probably your best bet would be to find seat covers.

Good luck!
Old 07-10-2016, 06:09 PM
cdavis03
Racer

Originally Posted by CFLVette
I've heard a few people report that SEM Color Coat works well on carpets. Have not used it for that purpose myself so cannot give you more specifics, but SEM products are excellent.

https://www.semproducts.com/refinish...oattm-aerosols

BTW, I think Summit has the lowest price on SEM Color Coat paints right now.

This video may also provide some additional info for you.

As far as the driver's seat, probably your best bet would be to find seat covers.

Good luck!
Thanks for the help! Appreciate it! I'll post some pictures after I try it haha
Old 07-10-2016, 06:16 PM
CFLVette
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks for the help! Appreciate it! I'll post some pictures after I try it haha
Do that. We love before & afters.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:45 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

SEM used on steering wheel kick panels etc
Dries to the perfect factory finish/shade. Many yrs old still looks like new
Id get a set of cheapskins for the seats til you can do them right. Check out oemfabrics.com
Attached Images  
Old 07-10-2016, 07:27 PM
cdavis03
Racer

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
SEM used on steering wheel kick panels etc
Dries to the perfect factory finish/shade. Many yrs old still looks like new
Id get a set of cheapskins for the seats til you can do them right. Check out oemfabrics.com
WOW! That looks good! Thanks!
Old 07-10-2016, 07:32 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 104 Posts

So I bought a 78' SAE a few weeks back and the body work and paint is 90% done! Now i'm going to get started on the interior and I was wondering if there was a way to make my carpets not so ugly haha, i'm guessing the car was in the sun too long and it just discolored but can I spray it with something or is there a cheap way to dye it? I would just buy new but i'm only 16 and don't have the money right now as i'd like to register/insure it in the upcoming week, thanks for the help and if you know any products I could use let me know! Thanks! Attachment 47999241
FWIW..The passenger side seat looks pretty good..You could swap D/S seat for passenger's side..They are identical..throw some duct tape and a seat cover on the damaged seat until you can afford to put new leather-vinyl seat upholstery on.

Before dyeing carpet..try a thorough vacuuming-cleaning shampooing first..You will need to do that well before dyeing anyhow..Floor mats will help cover the badly worn areas until you wish to redo the carpeting..
The seat wear on driver's side is from someone getting into the car improperly..To get into the '78, door wide open and first sit down on the seat bottom with both feet on the ground outside.Then swivel your butt and pull first right then left foot inside car..Last in is your head..
Sounds a bit awkward but you'll get the hang of it and your seat upholstery will do much betterhan if you jump in and sliiide down the seat back..JIM This is my '78 SA which had oyster white leather upholstery..I redid the entire interior for under 700.00.Note I bought clear plastic coverings for the door sill carpeted are to protect that area from the inevitable dirt dragged from your shoes getting in or out.
Attached Images  

Last edited by jim in oregon; 07-10-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:36 PM
cdavis03
Racer

Originally Posted by jim in oregon
FWIW..The passenger side seat looks pretty good..You could swap D/S seat for passenger's side..They are identical..throw some duct tape and a seat cover on the damaged seat until you can afford to put new leather-vinyl seat upholstery on.

Before dyeing carpet..try a thorough vacuuming-cleaning shampooing first..You will need to do that well before dyeing anyhow..Floor mats will help cover the badly worn areas until you wish to redo the carpeting..
The seat wear on driver's side is from someone getting into the car improperly..To get into the '78, door wide open and first sit down on the seat bottom with both feet on the ground outside.Then swivel your butt and pull first right then left foot inside car..Last in is your head..
Sounds a bit awkward but you'll get the hang of it and your seat upholstery will do much betterhan if you jump in and sliiide down the seat back..JIM
Thanks for the tips and yeah i'm definitely gonna clean very well and shampoo before I dye it, the dye will only be temporary until I get enough money to get a new black carpet and the seats are only temporary aswell haha, going to be switching everything to black pretty soon! And yes the passenger seat is in great condition so I may do what you said and switch them out!
Old 07-10-2016, 08:35 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Congratulations on getting a Corvette at 16. I didn't get a car until I was 17 and it was a rusty 67 Ford Country Squire station wagon - I could only dream of a Corvette.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:45 PM
cdavis03
Racer

Originally Posted by Priya
Congratulations on getting a Corvette at 16. I didn't get a car until I was 17 and it was a rusty 67 Ford Country Squire station wagon - I could only dream of a Corvette.
Thanks! I've been saving for 4 years so it was definitely a goal of mine! Now I just can't wait to get it done!
Old 07-11-2016, 06:26 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,291 Likes on 3,919 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

If you swap the seats then that one will take less abuse on the passenger side. You can pull the tear together and use a curved heavy fabric needle and sew it together using dental floss. Then color the threads and cover it with a tiny bit of shoe goo to hold it together. That will get you by until you can afford some good covers. Holding itclosed as you sew is the hard part
Old 07-11-2016, 09:49 AM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the tips and yeah i'm definitely gonna clean very well and shampoo before I dye it, the dye will only be temporary until I get enough money to get a new black carpet and the seats are only temporary aswell haha, going to be switching everything to black pretty soon! And yes the passenger seat is in great condition so I may do what you said and switch them out!
You might think long about changing seat-carpet to black rather than retaining the dark blue..Just look at all the rest of the blue trim from door panels, seat belts to dash..AND steering wheel..
A talented upholstery technician could probably repair the D/S seat panel and replace just the front carpet pretty reasonably..Jim

Last edited by jim in oregon; 07-11-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:26 PM
cdavis03
Racer

You might think long about changing seat-carpet to black rather than retaining the dark blue..Just look at all the rest of the blue trim from door panels, seat belts to dash..AND steering wheel..
A talented upholstery technician could probably repair the D/S seat panel and replace just the front carpet pretty reasonably..Jim
The change to black is a long term thing haha, probably 10 years from now and I don't have the money to get a new carpet or pay for somebody to fix the stuff I got so its a DIY project for me haha, a lot of restrictions only being 16 and taking on my dream car lol
Old 07-11-2016, 03:04 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

The change to black is a long term thing haha, probably 10 years from now and I don't have the money to get a new carpet or pay for somebody to fix the stuff I got so its a DIY project for me haha, a lot of restrictions only being 16 and taking on my dream car lol
Well, not sure what the mileage or condition of your '78 is..but quite possibly you have more matters concerning reliability and safety( brakes, tires, hoses, oil..etc..etc to deal with before 'cosmetic issues...

IF when you want to do something for the torn front seat back.drop me a note and I'll send you an original decent condition leather side panel off the passenger side of my '78 that an upholterer can replace your torn one with.He'll have to remove the seat and old cover, dye the oyster white leather to match your interior blue and make the sew up on that side panel..but it'd be free from me to you..if you want it..Don't wait for too long because I'm currently dealoing with after surgery raf-chemo for a terminal brain tumor..Not sure how long I'm gonna be down here..Lord only knows..Jim
Old 07-11-2016, 03:10 PM
cdavis03
Racer

Well, not sure what the mileage or condition of your '78 is..but quite possibly you have more matters concerning reliability and safety( brakes, tires, hoses, oil..etc..etc to deal with before 'cosmetic issues...

IF when you want to do something for the torn front seat back.drop me a note and I'll send you an original decent condition leather side panel off the passenger side of my '78 that an upholterer can replace your torn one with.He'll have to remove the seat and old cover, dye the oyster white leather to match your interior blue and make the sew up on that side panel..but it'd be free from me to you..if you want it..Don't wait for too long because I'm currently dealoing with after surgery raf-chemo for a terminal brain tumor..Not sure how long I'm gonna be down here..Lord only knows..Jim
Wow thank you! I'll definitely take it! And i've already dealt with everything mechanically, new tires, new brake rotors/pads and calipers, rebuilt carb, fixed all leaks and more haha so i'm onto the cosmetic stuff now! Hope you get better man :/
The following users liked this post:
jim in oregon (07-11-2016)
Old 07-11-2016, 05:44 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Wow thank you! I'll definitely take it! And i've already dealt with everything mechanically, new tires, new brake rotors/pads and calipers, rebuilt carb, fixed all leaks and more haha so i'm onto the cosmetic stuff now! Hope you get better man :/
CDavis..stuffs on it's way UPS plus a couple other items that may help..
Good luck with the bumper covers, weatherstripping, body paint.

Plan the work..work the plan..Good advice for folks of Any age..Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Can I dye/paint this?

Old 07-11-2016, 05:46 PM
cdavis03
Racer

CDavis..stuffs on it's way UPS plus a couple other items that may help..
Good luck with the bumper covers, weatherstripping, body paint.

Plan the work..work the plan..Good advice for folks of Any age..Jim
Thank you so much Jim! Appreciate the help and support! Man C3 Corvette guys are always the most helpful and nicest! Thank you so much again! Get better!
Old 07-11-2016, 06:03 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Thank you so much Jim! Appreciate the help and support! Man C3 Corvette guys are always the most helpful and nicest! Thank you so much again! Get better!
You are welcome! There are some incredibly knowlegable folks on this forum and many who are willing to help if they can. it's wonderful not to have to reinvent the wheel on so many baffling things in life that others have encountered and overcome successfully.
vintage cars being some of the less world shattering things..

We owe much gratitude to those who have come before us..and so the better of us remember and do our best to help others as we can..Jim
Old 07-11-2016, 06:06 PM
cdavis03
Racer

You are welcome! There are some incredibly knowlegable folks on this forum and many who are willing to help if they can. it's wonderful not to have to reinvent the wheel on so many baffling things in life that others have encountered and overcome successfully.
vintage cars being some of the less world shattering things..

We owe much gratitude to those who have come before us..and so the better of us remember and do our best to help others as we can..Jim
Agreed! Can't imagine doing a restoration without the help of all the people on this forum!

Quick Reply: Can I dye/paint this?