Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke college student '77 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 12:52 PM
Docbrock
Team Owner

Received 444 Likes on 218 Posts

looking good. Thanks for posting. I love threads like this.
The following users liked this post:
rgwoehr (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 02:20 PM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Received 604 Likes on 295 Posts

I went to harbor freight this morning and picked up a DA sander and some sanding discs

I think I stripped more surface area in the past half hour with that than I did in 2 hours yesterday with the other sander. It works fast enough that I decided there was no reason to work in direct sunlight today. I'll wait until this afternoon when I have some shade and should have the rear clip and doors done by the end of the day (except for the areas that I'll have to sand by hand).

Pegan2261 (10-24-2021)
Old 07-14-2016, 02:37 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts

Your doing some good work.

Those Appliance Dia-Mag wheels look really good on the car. Very unique as they are not a common wheel at all, you should keep the and polish them.
Will
Old 07-14-2016, 02:52 PM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Thanks. They're not my favorite wheels, but I plan to clean them up a bit after I paint the car. I think they'll look much better polished. Eventually I want to get some 18" torque thrust style wheels, but that's not very high up on my to-do list.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:17 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Well done! You tackled a big project and have persevered!
rgwoehr (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 05:57 PM
CFLVette
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by rgwoehr
Back in the 1970s people paid good money to have designs like this painted on their cars. Far out, man! LOL.

As far as the wheels, they sort of remind me of Trans Am snowflakes. If I ever replace mine, I am leaning toward the Weld S71B rims.

Again, great work and progress, and keep those updates coming.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:49 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Man, you have been busy! Looks good.
It looks like the interior is pretty complete. You would be amazed how fast those pieces add up if you have to replace them.
Subscribed! Keep up the good work.
rgwoehr (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 09:00 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,753 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Based on the areas that you have sanded already it looks like you know, but be sure to keep those fast sanders away from edges. You can grind down some peaks in no time! Looking good!
Old 07-14-2016, 09:08 PM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CFLVette
Back in the 1970s people paid good money to have designs like this painted on their cars. Far out, man! LOL.

As far as the wheels, they sort of remind me of Trans Am snowflakes. If I ever replace mine, I am leaning toward the Weld S71B rims.

Again, great work and progress, and keep those updates coming.
Haha yeah that crossed my mind when I was looking at it earlier.

I think I've seen those rims on a couple cars around here, they look pretty good.

Originally Posted by brent319
Man, you have been busy! Looks good.
It looks like the interior is pretty complete. You would be amazed how fast those pieces add up if you have to replace them.
Subscribed! Keep up the good work.
It is pretty complete, but a lot of the trim pieces are cracked. Not bad enough for me to want to replace them though. The only thing that really needs to be replaced are the t top head liners. Those aren't cheap.

Quick update:

I got a good amount of the driver's side stripped today. I worked on the passenger side rear fender a bit too, so the majority of the rear clip is done. I'm trying not to go all the way down to the SMC with the 80 grit sandpaper because I'm afraid I'll take off too much material as I move on with finer paper. I'm sure the next couple grades will take care of what's left of the paint.

I probably should have closed the garage door while sanding
Old 07-14-2016, 09:10 PM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kubs
Based on the areas that you have sanded already it looks like you know, but be sure to keep those fast sanders away from edges. You can grind down some peaks in no time! Looking good!
Thanks! I'm trying my best to avoid ruining any of the body lines. I turn the speed down a bit and use light pressure and slowly take the paint off right near the edges. The reason I initially tried to strip it down with the razor blade was because I was afraid of screwing something up with the sander, but it isn't as hard as I thought.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:52 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Sounds like you did all the expensive stuff that I still need to do haha. I wish I had an extra $800 or so laying around when I replaced the tires, I would have replaced the wheels too. I considered doing a cheap roller paint job with gloss black a few months ago but decided not to go that route because the prep work involved was the same as what I'm doing now, and as much as I like black on these cars, it isn't what I wanted. I found a SCG '77 for sale and have been staring at photos of that car to remind myself that all that sanding will be worth the effort. http://veh-markets.com/cars/chevrole...ties-gray.html
My car badly needs paint too, it presents a lot better in pictures than in real life! I wouldn't bother with the roller jobs - I've tried a couple, and honestly I think it's a LOT quicker and easier to get a decent result using a gun. I've painted several cars and a horse float using fundamentally the Rustoleum roller method, but spraying the thinned paint with a cheap gun, and you can get some pretty impressive results for the time and money put in. That's what's on my f250, and it's held up pretty well for the past 5 years since i painted it, daily driven over dirt roads, though I need to do some more bodywork before too long.

I might have a thing for black... But steel cities grey is a great colour too.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:00 PM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Metalhead140
My car badly needs paint too, it presents a lot better in pictures than in real life! I wouldn't bother with the roller jobs - I've tried a couple, and honestly I think it's a LOT quicker and easier to get a decent result using a gun. I've painted several cars and a horse float using fundamentally the Rustoleum roller method, but spraying the thinned paint with a cheap gun, and you can get some pretty impressive results for the time and money put in. That's what's on my f250, and it's held up pretty well for the past 5 years since i painted it, daily driven over dirt roads, though I need to do some more bodywork before too long.

I might have a thing for black... But steel cities grey is a great colour too.
After looking at the recoat times for the boat paint I wanted to roll on, I figured it would take me a month just to paint it. The spray gun is definitely the way to go.

Looks like the truck came out good. Are you gonna paint the vette yourself?
Old 07-15-2016, 04:22 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

At least you didn't have 15 paintjobs to remove! As far as thosw wheels, at first I thought they were T/A wheels too. Hang on to them, they may be valuable. There's a guy who buys, restores, and sells vintage wheels, I think I saw mention of him here, maybe someone will chime in.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:24 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

Also, did you have any problems since replacing the rotors? Did you indicate them in or shim for runout?

P.S. How is the paint on the dash holding up? Details?

Last edited by Richard Daugird; 07-15-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:51 PM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Yeah it could have been worse than it is. Based on how many layers were on the hood, I expected the rest of the car to be just as bad, but the rest of the car didn't have that many layers. From what I found on ebay, I might be able to get $400-$600 for those rims. No issues since changing the rotors, and no I didn't indicate them. I forgot I was supposed to do that.

The paint on the dash seems to be holding up fine. I scrubbed it down with dish soap and a tooth brush before spraying it. I didn't give it very long to cure, so I did screw it up a bit reinstalling it, but I've had the dash pad out since then and it seems to be more durable now that it's cured.

Last edited by rgwoehr; 07-15-2016 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:26 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,174 Likes on 2,736 Posts

Yeah it could have been worse than it is. Based on how many layers were on the hood, I expected the rest of the car to be just as bad, but the rest of the car didn't have that many layers. From what I found on ebay, I might be able to get $400-$600 for those rims. No issues since changing the rotors, and no I didn't indicate them. I forgot I was supposed to do that.
I think you are supposed to "snug" the retaining nut on the wheel bearing to remove the factory-set play in the bearings.......then check the rotor face runout. Once you have the face shimmed within spec......readjust the bearing nut to obtain the correct factory play in the wheel bearings. (Then do the same to the other rotors)

Expert members can correct me if I'm wrong

rgwoehr (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 10:05 PM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Progress was a bit slower today for some reason. I sanded the headlight doors and the area around them, and most of the passenger side door. That took about 3 hours, which is weird because I did most of the drivers side and the passenger rear fender in a shorter amount of time yesterday. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be done with the 80 grit.

Get notified of new replies

To Broke college student '77 build thread

Old 07-15-2016, 10:48 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

This is a great thread! There is nothing like your first C3! I too bought my first when I was 18. Now, ten years later, I have owned more than 30 of these cars. Be careful it can get addicting!
Old 07-16-2016, 01:35 AM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chstitans42
This is a great thread! There is nothing like your first C3! I too bought my first when I was 18. Now, ten years later, I have owned more than 30 of these cars. Be careful it can get addicting!
Thanks Ben! That's a lot of vettes. Is that just C3's, or does that include the C4s? I love vettes but I don't know that I'll ever buy another one, there are so many other cars I'd like to own. But who knows, I could change my mind someday. I've thought about replacing my daily driver with a C4 off and on for a while now.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:28 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

Thanks Ben! That's a lot of vettes. Is that just C3's, or does that include the C4s? I love vettes but I don't know that I'll ever buy another one, there are so many other cars I'd like to own. But who knows, I could change my mind someday. I've thought about replacing my daily driver with a C4 off and on for a while now.
A few c4s and a pair of C5s actually.

Quick Reply: Broke college student '77 build thread