Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage floor/VCT tiles tips or suggestions

Old 08-08-2016, 02:26 PM
timstrong20
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Garage floor/VCT tiles tips or suggestions

I was thinking about putting VCT tiles down in my garage floor. I have epoxy paint currently on the garage floor (9 years old). I wanted to get some opinions on the do's and don'ts or lessons learned regarding installing VCT tiles. It appears to be very economical and resilients compared to epoxy paint.

Curious if any of you have regrets after installing it, or things you would on done different. I did a search but most of the threads are pretty old so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Tim
Old 08-08-2016, 02:57 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,116 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by timstrong20
I was thinking about putting VCT tiles down in my garage floor. I have epoxy paint currently on the garage floor (9 years old). I wanted to get some opinions on the do's and don'ts or lessons learned regarding installing VCT tiles. It appears to be very economical and resilients compared to epoxy paint.

Curious if any of you have regrets after installing it, or things you would on done different. I did a search but most of the threads are pretty old so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Tim
I've mentioned this before but if you want to get input from a lot more than just the C3 community, you want to go to the garage journal. Here is a link to a search on Armstrong

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...rchid=29268699

My garage floor is is serious need of an upgrade and this seems like something I can do without having to move everything out, so I'll be watching this space. Howsoever Tim, I think you should take a look at the above and maybe report back on what you've found to see if anybody here confirms or wants to debunk it.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:44 PM
The Hot Rod Grille
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

There is thread on here that was started a couple of weeks ago. Search thread title: "Refinishing your garage floor". It has some good ideas, alternatives and pics.

Jim
Old 08-10-2016, 08:36 AM
timstrong20
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ignatz
I've mentioned this before but if you want to get input from a lot more than just the C3 community, you want to go to the garage journal. Here is a link to a search on Armstrong

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...rchid=29268699

My garage floor is is serious need of an upgrade and this seems like something I can do without having to move everything out, so I'll be watching this space. Howsoever Tim, I think you should take a look at the above and maybe report back on what you've found to see if anybody here confirms or wants to debunk it.
Thanks for the reply, I have been researching the garage journal. Wealth of info on there. Thanks again,
Tim
Old 08-10-2016, 09:55 AM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

if you do tiles, keep atleast 10 spare tiles to replace them as they get damaged.
if you do any kind of work on the floor, with a hammer tiles will chip, break or gouge.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:05 AM
Ron C!
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 153 Posts

I did mine a couple years ago. I pressure washed the floor, then hit it with muriatic acid and a stiff broom, Pressure washed again. Let it dry out and then laid the floor. The adhesive only needs a very thin coat, very easy to lay the tiles. For cutting/trimming, just score with a razor knife and then snap them. Took me about 3 days for my garage, but could have been done easily in a day. When I emptied my garage to do the floor, I took the time to put all of the shelving on castors so I can easily roll everything around. I bought the tiles at Lowes, but found rubber baseboards, transition strips, etc at a flooring supply store. I spent less than $1000 all in.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:39 AM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I have done office floors with the VCT tiles. They are pretty rugged. Also when installing them if you have some areas where the concrete is not even you can take a heat gun a to the tile and the tile will conform to the uneven surface while installing.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:44 AM
Team Lazy
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Before I forget to Google it later, I'll ask here.

How do these stand up to welding? Do they burn or are they industrial enough they can handle it? I don't assume they are built to handle it, but might they accidentally be able to handle it?
Old 08-10-2016, 11:42 AM
Ron C!
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Team Lazy
Before I forget to Google it later, I'll ask here.

How do these stand up to welding? Do they burn or are they industrial enough they can handle it? I don't assume they are built to handle it, but might they accidentally be able to handle it?
Don't think they would do well. They will mark and scratch with sharp corners and such. I also put small squares of wood under jack stands, just to save the marks.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:44 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I did VCT in my garage three years ago, and to me it still looks fantastic. I park two cars on it daily, and have a St. Bernard.....footprints, slobber, etc. About every other month I damp mop it, and about every four months a coat of wax.
A few weeks after I put the tile down, I did a brake over haul, and learned that the tile glue never really hardens. I jacked the front of the car up, and left the rear on the tile. The next morning I found the tile under the rear tires had slipped sideways under the rear camber compression. Ripped one tile. I managed to put everything back in place, and it looks fine now. So now if I need to jack the car, I lift all four corners, and use wood under the jack, and stands.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:31 AM
The Hot Rod Grille
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

As mentioned in my post on the other floor thread, I put a "spare" tile under the tires to protect the floor from staining due to the rubber. I also do the same when using jack stands or the floor jack. My floor is the Armstrong commercial-grade VCT (not peel & stick), and seems to be very durable. It's been in service for over 10 years with no serious problems. It gets a damp mop as needed and has been waxed a total of three times.

Jim
Attached Images     

Last edited by The Hot Rod Grille; 08-11-2016 at 09:33 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Garage floor/VCT tiles tips or suggestions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Garage floor/VCT tiles tips or suggestions