Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Great find!
Old 08-23-2016, 01:43 AM
shok
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Is it just common for the HVAC to have problems with this era of c3? I checked out one today and the controls were very stiff and while I could hear the blower come on I didn't feel anything come out of the vents or defrost opening.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:19 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by shok
Is it just common for the HVAC to have problems with this era of c3? I checked out one today and the controls were very stiff and while I could hear the blower come on I didn't feel anything come out of the vents or defrost opening.
I think so..Between cars that have been fiddled with past improperly, components that perhaps have failed over time and and components that simply never were adjusted properly..
No air coming from the vents when blower on HI and temp switch lever on cold,OFF..it is probable the vacuum and cable assembly BYPASS FITTING behind glove box is in need of adjustment .AS i tried to describe earlier..cabel adjustment is done by removing R/S console panel ( 3 screws) and with the bypass mech behind glove box visible..using the cable turnbuckle to insure with temp lever on COLD( lever all the way left on console)fully closes in response to the hvac console lever selection..THIS BYPASS mech has 2 vac lines..one is main vac line..the other is the vac line that goes to the inline heater hose shut off-open valve P/S of engine SO the under dash hvac ductwork operates and opens(closes) doors in ductwork to allow blower to move air into car's interior properly.AND the heater shut off vac valve under hood at least in the 78 C3.. closes so the air isn't warm hot that the blower is moving..with temp setting on cold and something other than vent or A/C. is selected at the console.
The latter is a vac issue..the forner is a vacuum-cable mech issue...IF you don't hear the A/C compressor cut on WHEN blower is on hi and max A/C is selected..possibly an A/C component-charge issue.jim
The following users liked this post:
shok (08-23-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 08:30 AM
C3 78 Pace Car
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a small update:

I put about 120 miles on the car in just over 2 days. Just driving around town and cruising the country roads. So far its been a blast! It runs amazing, and starts so fast you barely have enough time to let go of the key.

The passenger rear has clunk in it when going around turns slowly, and sometimes while in reverse. I gave it a once over and didn't see anything that stood out. The car actually has brand new trailing arms with all new hardware, which is nice. All the half shaft u-joints have been replaced too. Any ideas on where to start looking?
Old 08-31-2016, 10:24 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by C3 78 Pace Car
All the half shaft u-joints have been replaced too. Any ideas on where to start looking?
I'd restart there. The symptoms you describe are that of a U Joint. Possible they are not seated correctly after the install. Or, one of the clips popped out (very common) and the U join has "slid" from one side to another.

Jack the car up and rotate the shaft and you will see in 30 seconds.

One random thing that happen to me was that my upper shock mount became loose and was sloppy. It made noises on bumps and corners. Two minutes with a wrench and it was fixed.

Last edited by billschroeder5842; 08-31-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:49 PM
SLVRSHRK
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by C3 78 Pace Car
Just a small update:

I put about 120 miles on the car in just over 2 days. Just driving around town and cruising the country roads. So far its been a blast! It runs amazing, and starts so fast you barely have enough time to let go of the key.

The passenger rear has clunk in it when going around turns slowly, and sometimes while in reverse. I gave it a once over and didn't see anything that stood out. The car actually has brand new trailing arms with all new hardware, which is nice. All the half shaft u-joints have been replaced too. Any ideas on where to start looking?
Congrats on your purchase. It seems like you got an awesome deal on the car! I've had my 78SA for a little over 12 years now and have just completed a frame-off resto/mod project.

Regarding the chatter in the rear, if you cannot find anything mechanical on the outside, change the differential fluid (adding GM Posi additive) and drive the car in figure eights for a while. My car had a similar clunk in the rear when turning (sounded like the mufflers were bouncing up and down). What it turned out to be was the posi clutches sticking from sitting. Only is noticeable at low speeds.

Good Luck and Welcome!
Old 08-31-2016, 07:20 PM
vbgod1
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

What he said⬆️
Old 09-01-2016, 08:46 PM
C3 78 Pace Car
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll go over everything real good. I suspected a u-joint, but they seemed fine.

So far everything else has been perfect!

Quick Reply: Just picked up a 78 Pace Car