Sponsored by:

Fuel tank issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 03:38 PM
Droop
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Fuel tank issue

Morning Everyone, During the final shake down of the restoration of my 1970 Corvette we noticed that the fuel tank was leaking from a valve of sorts about the size of a quarter next to the fuel filler assembly. The valve is located to the left of the filler about 4 or 5 inches. This is an original tank and in excellent condition. I would like to save it if possible. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem? The valve I believe is there to let air back into the tank as the fuel is depleted from the tank. If this will help the lettering on the gas cap reads “SEALED” Thanks....Droop
Old 08-18-2016, 04:32 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Droop,
What you're seeing is the button relief valve.
I'm wondering if it's stuck open?
If it's working properly you should be able to push it in with your finger and it should spring back on it's own.
It only moves about 1/16"
Maybe a little wd40 on it will free it up?
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 08-18-2016 at 04:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
20mercury (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 09:09 AM
Droop
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Droop,
What you're seeing is the button relief valve.
I'm wondering if it's stuck open?
If it's working properly you should be able to push it in with your finger and it should spring back on it's own.
It only moves about 1/16"
Maybe a little wd40 on it will free it up?
Regards,
Alan

Alan, I’ll give it a try. In the past "before restoration" we sometimes had a fuel smell. We could never could fine where the smell was coming from. I think we found it.... Alan can this valve be replaced? A side note: Remember when we talked about painting the vehicle pros and cons? Well we buffed the Corvette out and it came out great.. It takes a lot of time and patience but it is well worth the try before you paint..... It’s only original once....Photos to come when we are completely done...Droop
Old 08-19-2016, 09:15 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Droop,
My thought is that it would be difficult to replace the valve.
From feeling (not seeing) what's inside the tank it appears the valve is 'crimped' in place.
I guess it would be possible to get the old one out but I don't know how you'd get the new one in place.
I guess your best hope is that something like wd40 will free up the valve's movement.
Regards,
Alan
Old 08-19-2016, 06:04 PM
Droop
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Droop,
My thought is that it would be difficult to replace the valve.
From feeling (not seeing) what's inside the tank it appears the valve is 'crimped' in place.
I guess it would be possible to get the old one out but I don't know how you'd get the new one in place.
I guess your best hope is that something like wd40 will free up the valve's movement.
Regards,
Alan
Alan, Today tried to loosen it up with MOVE-IT. It’s like a heavy weight WD-40. I’ll let it work for a day or so.. Thanks Droop

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel tank issue

Quick Reply: Fuel tank issue