C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans cooler installation questions I forgot to ask.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:30 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Trans cooler installation questions I forgot to ask.

forum membersI posted a trans cooler installation thread last week and I forgot to ask the following questions. What type of plugs can I use to plug the trans cooler openings on the radiator since I going to run lines directly from the trans to the trans cooler. What have other used to plug the openings on the radiator?

Last edited by Oldguard 7; 08-26-2016 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:38 AM
vbgod1
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

You could probably find some brass plugs at a good hardware store or tractor supply store, but...

You are talking about something similar to a sealed radiator inside of a radiator, and if you take the lines off, only fluid left inside is what was left over. I had a 4Runner once and that cooler broke internally in the radiator. Can you say "Strawberry Milkshake"? Fills the cooling system and takes out the Trans, and takes forever to get out.

I have a Trans cooler on my 78, but I run the fluid thru the radiator "and" the cooler.

Chuck
Old 08-27-2016, 11:44 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by vbgod1
You could probably find some brass plugs at a good hardware store or tractor supply store, but...

You are talking about something similar to a sealed radiator inside of a radiator, and if you take the lines off, only fluid left inside is what was left over. I had a 4Runner once and that cooler broke internally in the radiator. Can you say "Strawberry Milkshake"? Fills the cooling system and takes out the Trans, and takes forever to get out.

I have a Trans cooler on my 78, but I run the fluid thru the radiator "and" the cooler.

Chuck

If you're worried about fluid dribbling out, I'd only put a plug in the bottom hole. Otherwise, leave it as is.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:45 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I'd think about not running thru the radiator. IF the trans fluid never gets warm enough any moisture that has accumulated won't boil out. And the trans will never get to operating temperature. Or worse, it won't have the added ability to dump excess heat into the radiator. Your call, but I'd suggest some careful thought.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:13 AM
David Mc
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm not sure what thread the OP is referring to, but it requires a very sizable external cooler to match the efficiency of the in-radiator cooler.

Get notified of new replies

To Trans cooler installation questions I forgot to ask.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trans cooler installation questions I forgot to ask.