Sponsored by:

C3 Door Shaved project

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 07:56 PM
Douglas Brown
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default C3 Door Shaved project

Attempting to install door solenoid to pop open door with remote switch.
I want to use the original linkage it seems stronger. Has anyone tried this, what was outcome? ANd the position is in question but it seems the only place.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:54 PM
jr73
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 166 Posts

good luck with your project buddy
Old 08-29-2016, 11:15 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

If it's not too late, I would recommend against this modification. I know lots of "Kustom" car guys; I am one myself, yet this is one mod I have always resisted. Can be very problematic. Hell you can't even really see the door handle on a C3, maybe just shave the locks?
Old 08-29-2016, 11:21 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

I normally have this on any of my personal cars, my 66 was tricky, I had a small cable around a pulley to the stock latch to get the solenoid in a good spot, on the 66 I shaved the sticking out door handles but on my 69 will leave the handles as they do not stick out from the car,

I also had to add a spring to pop the door about an inch to be able to have something to grab to open it.

the key to it working right and for very long is the solenoid has to pull straight, if the pull where you have it is straight then it should work okay.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:23 PM
Giant_Robot
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Seen another c3 with the locks gone and remote entry.. What about when your battery dies is the question I'm left with. And the answer is you're screwed.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:36 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Not a mod for everyone, I am just going along in a positive way with what the OP asked,

I never had issues with my electric doors the key is a good installation

I had different tricks but never got locked out of a car in 30 plus years with electric poppers, did get locked in a sterling kit car once that had nothing to do with shaved handles...

Old 08-30-2016, 04:29 AM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 791 Likes on 540 Posts

As for the battery dead issue, my understanding is that most guys set up an emergency cable, coming out somewhere from the front of the door, into the fender well. Haven't done it myself, but I read it on the internet so it must be true. Good luck on this and congrats for trying something different.Maybe we will all learn something along the way.
The following users liked this post:
The13Bats (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 07:35 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

While granted this is a modification it's not all that different than power door locks which have been working in cars for many years,

On my 66 the cable was in the door and I could grab it with a pop a lock type tool or bent coat hanger on the low tech, but I drove that 66 daily never once had a popper problem,

If the battery did die, how often have you had that happen out in the world, just like most modern cars with a remote popper for locks, if the battery died you would still need the car jump started or towed home or to a shop the fact the doors are "locked" doesn't really add much to the mix.

I guess IF you had a stick shift car and IF your poppers had no trick to open them you couldn't push start the car...
Old 08-30-2016, 07:42 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

FWIW: power locks became a factory option beginning with the 78 models. Any 78-82 AIM shows the factory install if you want to take a look at that approach.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:50 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,218 Likes on 1,730 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

I'm in the midst of doing mine...mainly because I am modding the interior door panel - I wanted to clean it up. I used the factory linkage all the way to where the pull is- and mounted the solenoid on the bottom of the door. The handle requires a lot of force so I made a bracket linkage that I could take advantage of the leverage.

Not at the car now- but will post some pics later.

Oh- go to the junkyard and look at the emergency cable pull trunk release set-ups. There's so really neat pieces you can scavenge off the inside of the trunk .

I moved the door lock as well-Used a M-B door lock pull-

And here's the button to release the door- and yes -I have it wired so driving down the road the door will not unlock... the brakes or e-brake has to be on.

The13Bats (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 08:55 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

I don't know why anyone would want to do this on a Corvette anyway. I like the looks of the handles and so do a lot of other people which means that it is going to limit your number of buyers if you decide to sell. This was started with the older cars who wanted to de-chrome everything including emblems for a custom look and I can see that but it just don't make sense on a Corvette.
Aggitated Monkey (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 09:12 AM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Check out this link, He mentions the kit he used.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...thread-16.html

If you like it go for it. I personally like it am planning on doing it to mine. I don't do thinks to my cars because everybody else likes it I do it because it is what I like it just has to be done with quality workmanship.
The13Bats (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 11:43 AM
Douglas Brown
Pro

Originally Posted by Richard Daugird
If it's not too late, I would recommend against this modification. I know lots of "Kustom" car guys; I am one myself, yet this is one mod I have always resisted. Can be very problematic. Hell you can't even really see the door handle on a C3, maybe just shave the locks?
The locks were shaved, I did leave the handles.....it's a challenge.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:44 AM
Douglas Brown
Pro

Originally Posted by jr73
good luck with your project buddy
How are you doing....well I hope.....good to hear from you.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:47 AM
Douglas Brown
Pro

Originally Posted by The13Bats
I normally have this on any of my personal cars, my 66 was tricky, I had a small cable around a pulley to the stock latch to get the solenoid in a good spot, on the 66 I shaved the sticking out door handles but on my 69 will leave the handles as they do not stick out from the car,

I also had to add a spring to pop the door about an inch to be able to have something to grab to open it.

the key to it working right and for very long is the solenoid has to pull straight, if the pull where you have it is straight then it should work okay.
I am letting the Solenoid hang free for not to get that straight pull you talk about.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:50 AM
Douglas Brown
Pro

Originally Posted by Giant_Robot
Seen another c3 with the locks gone and remote entry.. What about when your battery dies is the question I'm left with. And the answer is you're screwed.
Not at all...Run a battery cable from the Pos post to a remote battery post, placed where you can get to it with a cable and your in.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:53 AM
Douglas Brown
Pro

Not a mod for everyone, I am just going along in a positive way with what the OP asked,

I never had issues with my electric doors the key is a good installation

I had different tricks but never got locked out of a car in 30 plus years with electric poppers, did get locked in a sterling kit car once that had nothing to do with shaved handles...

Nice car.....I've been locked out of several, but the keys were in side.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Door Shaved project

Old 08-30-2016, 11:55 AM
Douglas Brown
Pro

Originally Posted by kanvasman
As for the battery dead issue, my understanding is that most guys set up an emergency cable, coming out somewhere from the front of the door, into the fender well. Haven't done it myself, but I read it on the internet so it must be true. Good luck on this and congrats for trying something different.Maybe we will all learn something along the way.
Thanks...The battery was a concern when I started this...I under stand the remote is also used on the race circuit.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:58 AM
Douglas Brown
Pro

While granted this is a modification it's not all that different than power door locks which have been working in cars for many years,

On my 66 the cable was in the door and I could grab it with a pop a lock type tool or bent coat hanger on the low tech, but I drove that 66 daily never once had a popper problem,

If the battery did die, how often have you had that happen out in the world, just like most modern cars with a remote popper for locks, if the battery died you would still need the car jump started or towed home or to a shop the fact the doors are "locked" doesn't really add much to the mix.

I guess IF you had a stick shift car and IF your poppers had no trick to open them you couldn't push start the car...
Good advise.
The13Bats (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 12:03 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Douglas Brown

The world is hard enough,

I guess I am guilty of telling people they can do something if they want it, to build their car to suit themselves not to make the nay sayer happy, this way I think isn't always popular.

Quick Reply: C3 Door Shaved project