"While I'm at it."

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 08:44 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
Default "While I'm at it."

So I've read a bunch of warnings lately on threads about getting carried away with "while I'm at it" reasoning and how quickly projects can snowball. I'm as guilty of this as anyone, so thought it might be an interesting topic to share how people have had projects snowball due to figuring "while I'm at it"... Whether it serves as commiseration for those involved, and/or a warning to others, I don't mind?

My current one is my '79 Vette. In February, my clutch release bearing failed. If I'm going to replace it, then while I'm at it, I should refresh and install that stroker engine I have sitting on the stand. While I'm at it, I should put a hydraulic roller cam in there, and make some more power. While im at it, i might put some forged pistons and 6" rods in as well. While I'm at it, I probably should rebuild the gearbox, given everything else on the car mechanically (steering including column, suspension, brakes, diff) is new or rebuilt. But while I'm at it, I might just swap in a tko600, after all, the 4 speed might be a bit weak behind the stroker. And while I'm at it, I should put fuel injection in, to help the new engine last a long time and hopefully get slightly better fuel economy. So, to recap, as a result of a failed clutch release bearing I have rebuilt a fresh stroker engine to drop in, fitted a TKO600 gearbox, and fuel injection. Replacing a $30 part just cost me a whole bunch of cash and has taken 7 months and counting!

My previous bad one was my MG Midget. I bought it as a perfectly sound, driveable, registered, fairly recently restored car, and I was determined just to drive it. However, included in the sale was a Toyota 5 speed gearbox to fit... After a few weeks, I decided to quickly chuck the box in, as it would make my commute more pleasant, and I had all the parts... 2.5 years later, the car hit the road again, having had a ground up rebuild with many modifications, a complete strip and colour change respray, modified suspension, rebuilt and supercharged engine, etc etc...
Old 08-30-2016, 09:01 PM
Dean_Fuller
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts

Sounds normal to me.
The following users liked this post:
Metalhead140 (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 09:02 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

While I'm removing the wrong-year tail light clip from my '68 basketcase.......I may as well enlarge the cargo area by 50%..........

fast-forward 6 months.......................

Metalhead140 (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 10:19 PM
rajin cajin
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

I don't see any problem here.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:48 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Me neither, truth be told. So share your examples then!
Old 08-31-2016, 01:29 AM
USAFVeteran
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

My 69 with a LS-5 454 was starting to overheat more and more frequently. I start saving and buying parts so I don't have too much down time. I was building my sand car at the time, so no hurry.

I get the FAST fuel injection, the roller cam kit, Brodix heads, Hooker headers, and the gasket set. I'm just gonna pull the intake, heads and the cam. Install the headers and have an exhaust system installed. Well, "while I'm at it" I don't really know much about the motor at all, so I pull it, and decide to send it to the machine shop, you know, "while I'm at it".

Hey Mr. Machine shop dude, "while your at it", install ARP bolts on the entire bottom end, install .030 9.5 to 1 good pistons, rings, and cam bearings. Include all the bearings for the mains and the rods too. So, $1700 later I get my block and associated parts out of hock. You guys seeing where this is going? Oh, hold on.....

I got some time til the motor is done, pull the trans out and reseal it, "while I'm at it".

Build the motor, buy the March pulley system, Pypes exhaust system, all the stock heat shields, "while I'm at it". Buy a few other misc. parts too. Install the motor and trans. Hooker headers fit a charm by the way, absolutely no issues. Well, a little grinding on the flange, where the flange was touching the head bolts (aluminum heads, ARP bolts and a thick flange is the reason). FAST wiring has been started, but I see a very ridged wire. I look, and find it's the engine harness. So, yep you go it, replace that "while I'm at it".

Continue with the new wiring and find another wire that is too crispy to live with. It's the heat and A/C harness. Spend the money ad do that "while I'm at it". The interior has been pulled at, tugged at, and torn apart just over half way.

If you're still with me, thanks. I rush it up... I was really trying hard to get it done so I could drive it to work before my last day, Jul 28. It's almost done today, Aug 30. It takes 80% of your time to finish the last 20% of your project. I'm realizing that now.

It is back together, but still on jack stands. I have to diagnose and fix the windshield wipers. My wife asked me to fix those about 10 years ago, when we bought it. I guess I better do it.

After that, I plan on putting it on the ground, and drive it to finish the tuning of the fuel injection. And I have a few people that are bugging me to sell it to them. I said it's not for sale until I at least get to drive it, and get done done with it. But, of course, they have to have a price and keep on asking. I told this old fella walking by a few times, He asked again, and I said $100,000 and I'll put it on the ground and you can have it!!! Obviously, he didn't bite dang it.

Keep your fingers crossed, "while I'm at it" I think I might drive it this weekend!!
Metalhead140 (08-31-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 08:11 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
Holley fuel bowls leaked some gas on to the intake.
I'll get serious and repaint the engine.
Nice!
Ah! I could do it better if the body wasn't in the way.
Better is the constant enemy of good.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 08-31-2016 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:24 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi,
Holley fuel bowls leaked some gas on to the intake.
I'll get serious and repaint the engine.
Nice!
Better is the constant enemy of good.
Regards,
Alan
I'm glad your Holley leaked Alan! And I'm sure many others here are too. Your help and your pictures are always excellent.

"Good better best, never let it rest, until your good is better, and your better is best."
Old 08-31-2016, 11:38 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

This has happened to me so many times, I'm having trouble remembering the details. I do remember going to change the spark plugs on my 81 and having to wait for new engine mounts, fuel lines and pump to finish the job.

It all seemed very logical at the time.

Originally Posted by Alan 71

There should be a smilie with that line on it
Old 08-31-2016, 12:21 PM
Kevin68
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

I wanted to replace the wheels. 4 months and $6K+ later and I ended up with this:

offset TAs
new bearing assemblies
double adjustable coilovers
super 10 diff
clean and paint everything from the transmission the bumpers (POR15 under the paint)
adjustable strut rods.
new sway bar
new rubber everywhere.
Metalhead140 (09-01-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 02:19 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

I just had to post this.

I had a little free time this morning so decided to replace the power window connector. My window would go up but not down. Inconvenient in 100 degree temps with no A/C.

I had to lift the forward console a little to route the wires better. I've also had a problem with the sliding gear covers binding so thought I might try to figure that out. Since I was going to have to pull the heat/A/C controls, thought I'd finally replace the control *****, vacuum hoses and wiring harness. Since I'd have to pull the dash, thought I'd fix the tach cable and convert my oil pressure to electric while I was in there. I really like some of the LED replacements that I've seen on a few recent threads. Just as I was starting to gather tools I stopped.

Took it for a short drive instead. Thanks for posting this to help keep me from hurting myself again, especially since I saw my body lift straps while gathering tools
Old 08-31-2016, 04:18 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette
Just as I was starting to gather tools I stopped. Took it for a short drive instead.
My kind of story.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:00 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,135 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Ticking lifter (I wish I was joking)

M

Last edited by Mooser; 08-31-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:22 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

In the fall of 1996 I decided to replace the stock front and rear suspension with performance pieces.

In the fall of 2004, I drove it again for the first time after a complete body-off restoration.

True story.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:53 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

I'm a C4 guy but I ran into this problem as well. I originally started work on my car to replace a worn pulley bearing, while I was at it I decided to look into a few other things, before I knew it the whole car was apart and I had to plan out my build. 2 years later the car is a dream to drive and my wallet is a lot lighter...

Did a engine rebuild/upgrade, trans rebuild, clutch flywheel, custom front and rear suspension, new wheels and tires, etc...

I don't regret it for a minute though.

Last edited by DMITTZ; 08-31-2016 at 10:54 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To "While I'm at it."

Quick Reply: "While I'm at it."