Sponsored by:

windshield wiper question

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 09:27 PM
mavcat17
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windshield wiper question

i have a '82, and my windshield wipers seem to work ok. However, when i turn them off, they pretty much stop where they are regardless of position. was this normal operation? I'm guessing no, but not really sure where to start troubleshooting since they seem to work.... any help would be appreciated!!!
Old 08-31-2016, 09:46 PM
LongRoadHome
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

That's going to be a problem with the "parking" function of the motor mechanism.

There's a bench test shown by Wilcox Corvette at:

http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/1...d-wiper-motor/

Sorry that I don't know what is involved about your particular trouble, mine only had a bad switch and always parked the wipers down like they should no matter what order I connected and disconnected the wires. Although I never removed the motor itself and left it connected, so I was simply jumpering them to ground (don't jumper the middle yellow wire to ground!).

Going to add to this that it might be a bad ground, especially if you don't have 2 speeds. Someone else will probably have a better solution or way to check mechanism. Which as I recall, the parking function is done by electromagnet outside of the motor housing yet inside the part attached to it.

Last edited by LongRoadHome; 08-31-2016 at 09:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mavcat17 (08-31-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 09:05 AM
mavcat17
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LongRoadHome
That's going to be a problem with the "parking" function of the motor mechanism.

There's a bench test shown by Wilcox Corvette at:

http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/1...d-wiper-motor/

Sorry that I don't know what is involved about your particular trouble, mine only had a bad switch and always parked the wipers down like they should no matter what order I connected and disconnected the wires. Although I never removed the motor itself and left it connected, so I was simply jumpering them to ground (don't jumper the middle yellow wire to ground!).

Going to add to this that it might be a bad ground, especially if you don't have 2 speeds. Someone else will probably have a better solution or way to check mechanism. Which as I recall, the parking function is done by electromagnet outside of the motor housing yet inside the part attached to it.

I do have 2 speeds, I believe. Should be interesting to bench test!! Thanks for your help!
Old 09-04-2016, 11:24 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

After you bench test, the motor should park. If it does then the issue is elsewhere, if it doesn't the park switch is bad.

1973-1982 Wiper Motor Testing.

Get notified of new replies

To windshield wiper question

Quick Reply: windshield wiper question