Sponsored by:

Fuel pump not getting powered on

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 08:04 AM
darkshark82
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump not getting powered on

Its my first Post, I am looking at a 1982 Vette not the CE Its pretty sharp clean red interior and the price is not to bad 5900.

We cant get the fuel pump to get power. I can jumper the pump relay and it powers on.

The FP fuse is hot and the relay is getting power, but I don't think the relay is receiving signals from the ECU to relay the power the green wire was not hot when the key is on.

Cranking the car doesn't power the FP, I have heard the pump comes on when receiving signal from the oil pres. switch.

Can anyone point me in a direction to proceed, Not buying the car unless I know it runs and drives, but I want it lol.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:21 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,738 Posts

If it's a good-looking car worth buying tell the seller to drop the price to compensate for a new ECU (and possible fried wiring harness on the firewall). Possibly...the seller doesn't want the car to start (for some reason).

If you are set on buying it run a hot-with-key-ON jumper to the relay so you can drive the car......or bypass the oil pressure switch to see if the O.P.switch is the problem(but listen for noisy lifters while driving (low oil pressure/bad oil pump).

Does the car have a Roll-Over Switch that cuts off voltage to the fuel pump relay.....or cuts off Ground to the ECU which could cause the FPR not to receive voltage?

I'm a rookie and making guesses but this should keep you busy until the experts can reply to this thread.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:33 AM
darkshark82
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking of bypassing the Oil press switch but not sure how and not sure how the ECU powers the relay. I am concerned the ECU might be bad since it fails to power the relay.

I planned to jumper the FP see if it runs and if it runs go from there, if not walk away.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:15 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,738 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel pump not getting powered on

Quick Reply: Fuel pump not getting powered on