C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power antenna for '78 with AM/FM/CB radio?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 01:32 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 104 Posts
Default power antenna for '78 with AM/FM/CB radio?

I am attempting to assist a friend who has a '78 Pace car that is equipped with the UP6 option code AM/FM/CB radio..
He has all the components EXCEPT the original power antenna ..which has some sort of booster for the CB radio...
Looking at my A.I.M. the only part #s I see referenced are: 5044887 and 5044911.
I believe the power antennas used for the '78 VETTES are different from those used prior to or after 1978..

Does anyone have the correct GM OR Delco pn for the power antenna that is specifically for the am/fm/cb radio in 1978?

OR an original power antenna working or not..which might be repaired?

He's almost got his '78 Pace car back to NCRS standards..so it's hopeful he can come up with the correct antenna..

I also wonder IF GM used the same pwr antenna for other vehicles equipped with the am/fm/CB radio in 1978...The mounting under fender might be different..but he has the original mounting-ground etc..still on the car.
He will certainly pay for one that's original..even if it may need some refurbishment..
Please let me know your thoughts, Jim
The following users liked this post:
VetteBob78_L82 (09-19-2017)
Old 09-24-2016, 05:48 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Correct part no for 78 and early 79 Corvette am/fm/cb/power antenna is 5044887.
But it's not like that number will do you much good as these are no longer available through conventional sources.
ALL GM vehicles from 76-early 79 used this style antenna, but with different part numbers. And different upper brackets spot welded to the mast tube. And replacement parts carried still different numbers.
You could put together a replacement years ago with over the counter parts with still different numbers, including numbers also on the mast tube.
And the replacement mast tubes were a little different from original equipment tubes as they had various mount holes in them for the variety of different brackets. They also had a noticeable flat spot on the tube.

(NONE OF THESE ARE STILL AVAILABLE)
In my pic, the top unit is a CORRECT Corvette am/fm unit with the upper bracket spot welded in place.
The middle unit is a Cadillac unit. You notice the co/ax connector is located differently and that I replaced the upper bracket with one that I make myself.
Bottom am/fm/cb unit was assembled from nos parts, co/ax connectors in the correct place, my upper bracket installed.
If you look close you might notice extra mount holes.

These turn up on ebay occasionally. I'm always looking. CB units are pretty scarce, tho.

Good luck!
(sent you a PM)

Last edited by KapsSA; 09-24-2016 at 05:59 PM.
jim in oregon (09-24-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 08:07 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KapsSA
Correct part no for 78 and early 79 Corvette am/fm/cb/power antenna is 5044887.
But it's not like that number will do you much good as these are no longer available through conventional sources.
ALL GM vehicles from 76-early 79 used this style antenna, but with different part numbers. And different upper brackets spot welded to the mast tube. And replacement parts carried still different numbers.
You could put together a replacement years ago with over the counter parts with still different numbers, including numbers also on the mast tube.
And the replacement mast tubes were a little different from original equipment tubes as they had various mount holes in them for the variety of different brackets. They also had a noticeable flat spot on the tube.

(NONE OF THESE ARE STILL AVAILABLE)
In my pic, the top unit is a CORRECT Corvette am/fm unit with the upper bracket spot welded in place.
The middle unit is a Cadillac unit. You notice the co/ax connector is located differently and that I replaced the upper bracket with one that I make myself.
Bottom am/fm/cb unit was assembled from nos parts, co/ax connectors in the correct place, my upper bracket installed.
If you look close you might notice extra mount holes.

These turn up on ebay occasionally. I'm always looking. CB units are pretty scarce, tho.

Good luck!
(sent you a PM)
Thanks..I made some notes for Tom Jackson..
Old 09-25-2016, 12:11 AM
vbgod1
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

In case you didn't know, that round plastic piece on the mast at the bottom of the pic says it is for CB's. There was the mast, that plastic piece, then about 9-10 inches of top mast. Turning that was some adjustment for the CB reception, I believe.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:52 AM
Indigoblue
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Parts do occasionally still show up...Found this as a spare for my Pace Car...This is a correct NOS motor that I had recently found...
Attached Images  
jim in oregon (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 05:28 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by KapsSA

Kaps is the man for 78-79 RPO U75 (power antenna) mechanics. I took a field trip to his shop and he conducted a clinic on assembly and disassembly of the motor, replacing the antenna cord.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:31 AM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Indigoblue
Parts do occasionally still show up...Found this as a spare for my Pace Car...This is a correct NOS motor that I had recently found...
Thank you ALL for the input..!...Pretty wild all the varying part nos used to accomplish the same job over the years..the NCRS judges must have a tough job determining which items are original and which may have been done as GM repairs..Jim
Old 09-25-2016, 05:24 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

I really don't think a judge would even be able to see the foil label with the date/part no on it, but not sure.
BUT, there are other things they might notice.
ORIGINAL antennas have a setscrew/lock nut on the bottom to adjust tension on the armature and a ROUND mast tube with the upper bracket spot welded to it.
Replacements may have a yellowish plastic plug in place of the setscrew and a mast tube with a flat side to it, a kinda a crushed area, and various small mount holes, and a screwed on upper bracket.
And some have a black cover on the motor.

And as for original part numbers, my parts book(antenna specific) must show a hundred different numbers.
Each GM model car had it's own number, sometimes changing by year.

Last edited by KapsSA; 09-25-2016 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:10 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by jim in oregon
the NCRS judges must have a tough job determining which items are original and which may have been done as GM repairs..Jim
Just to add to what Kaps posted above, remember that the exterior judge looks at the surface items located on the rear fender. So they are looking at the mast, retaining nut and mast head. They will also note whether the coil is present or absent and whether the radio is CB equipped, passing this information along to the interior team in the event something is out of sync.

The chassis judge may be in a position to view the antenna body, wiring but it is not judged. It simply tells the chassis judge if the antenna body is original or not...more like an awareness item but not judged.

This is true for both NCRS and Bloomington Gold judging. Labels are not judged for either.

Hope this helps!
Old 09-26-2016, 07:08 AM
AB_in_AUS
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

I have an early 79 which I suspect pulled the Ariel from a 78 parts bin

http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/tzxvp1/story

KapsSA really helped me out as I was missing the top bracket and had to fabricate one.
jim in oregon (09-26-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 07:10 AM
AB_in_AUS
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

sorry, hopefully this link is better

jim in oregon (09-26-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 04:57 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AB_in_AUS
sorry, hopefully this link is better

You'll notice the various holes in the mast tube, not yellow but beige plug in the lower right in the pic instead of setscrew, and 220 prefix part no.
Service replacement, which is why it had no upper bracket installed.
Surprisingly it does carry a 79 date.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:23 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

I found a replacement AM/FM/CB/cassette for my '81 many years ago in a wrecking yard that specialized in Cadillacs. They even had a makeshift bench set up to test the one you wanted. Remember there are external boxes that go with the radio so make sure you get all the "trimmings".
LenWoodruff (09-07-2018)
Old 11-21-2020, 02:39 PM
Pete Lethcoe
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part

I have one ...1-805-310-1284. ...Pete....👍
I am attempting to assist a friend who has a '78 Pace car that is equipped with the UP6 option code AM/FM/CB radio..
He has all the components EXCEPT the original power antenna ..which has some sort of booster for the CB radio...
Looking at my A.I.M. the only part #s I see referenced are: 5044887 and 5044911.
I believe the power antennas used for the '78 VETTES are different from those used prior to or after 1978..

Does anyone have the correct GM OR Delco pn for the power antenna that is specifically for the am/fm/cb radio in 1978?

He's almost got his '78 Pace car back to NCRS standards..so it's hopeful he can come up with the correct antenna..

I also wonder IF GM used the same pwr antenna for other vehicles equipped with the am/fm/CB radio in 1978...The mounting under fender might be different..but he has the original mounting-ground etc..still on the car.
He will certainly pay for one that's original..even if it may need some refurbishment..
Old 11-21-2020, 03:21 PM
hdal
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Pete this is a pwr CB ant,new or used? What is the part no.? THanx,Hdal
Old 11-21-2020, 04:41 PM
2 x 4
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I also have one. Bench tested went up but wont come down. will need repair but is the original. I will take offers just PM me please

Last edited by 2 x 4; 11-21-2020 at 04:43 PM. Reason: pictures
Old 03-01-2021, 11:20 AM
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do you still have 1978 am fm cb antenna ? Thc
lwmshall@yahoo.com

Get notified of new replies

To power antenna for '78 with AM/FM/CB radio?

Old 10-16-2021, 06:38 PM
Caddy Jack
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1978 GM CB Power Antenna

Spoiler

Old 01-30-2022, 07:50 PM
diverrick
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Same issue

My new to me 78 pace car has the CB, the Antenna doesn't work. Makes noise but does not move.. My unit looks like yours except for the two coax cables are opposite each other on my mast. Does that matter? I am completely new to all of this. I have the unit out on my kitchen table as we speak. It may be easier for me to find a newer working unit by the sounds of things. Any advice will help. Wondering if Ii could use the drive unit off another rig and put my am/fm/cb column on it? I also have no idea how to install the new cable. If anyone knows how, please tell me.

Last edited by diverrick; 01-31-2022 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:44 PM
2 x 4
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by diverrick
My new to me 78 pace car has the CB, the Antenna doesn't work. Makes noise but does not move.. My unit looks like yours except for the two coax cables are opposite each other on my mast. Does that matter? I am completely new to all of this. I have the unit out on my kitchen table as we speak. It may be easier for me to find a newer working unit by the sounds of things. Any advice will help.
Hi Derrick
Sounds like motor is still good just needs the plastic cable that works the mast.
Search for Kaps antenna repair he will fix the one you have. Take a picture and put it up here.
LenWoodruff (01-31-2022)

Quick Reply: power antenna for '78 with AM/FM/CB radio?