Sponsored by:

Advice on car bags or "cocoons" -- reduce moisture

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 03:37 PM
1971WBY
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Advice on car bags or "cocoons" -- reduce moisture

My car spends most of the year in a storage unit. The unit has no climate control (no a/c, heat, or dehumidifier).
Does anyone have an opinion on car bags or "cocoons", used with or without a desiccant, to reduce my car's exposure to moisture while in storage?
Google has led me to Rhino Shelter "Car Pocket", carbag.com "Car Jacket", and the Classic Car Cocoon.
Thanks.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:55 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

y friend has had one for at least ten years his vette still looks the same as when it was newly painted (thats why he bought it ). never any problem with moisture, he doesnt use water to wash it as well , uses the drywash product . And he drives it regularly as well.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:02 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Oh and he uses the carcoon brand .The first one he had to drive onto the base and then kinda zip up the thing over it and then the little fan pressurised it and it cleared the car . He has now got the " new" type that has a plastic pipe frame that holds it up and he just unzips the end open , a lot better imo. Both have the fan forced little filter box thingy on the wall.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:55 AM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I've used Car Capsule the last few years and they have been great. They use a fan to keep the capsule up and recirculate the air 4 times an hour or so. So you need to have power but you might anyway to keep the battery charged.

It keeps the interior fresh because it avoids condensation of moisture. Put the windows down and drive it in.

It comes with two big zippers front to back and I set up mine with the zippers meeting at the passenger door where I pass through the cord for the battery.

Keeps out rodents and insects too.

Definitely consider something like that. Cost around $300 but can be used for many years.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:26 AM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

I prefer the Car Jacket. It's one big zip lock bag. Whatever the condition is when I put my car in it, that's exactly the shape it is in when it's opened. Meaning literally nothing gets in, dirt, bugs, rodents, etc.
I always have the car as clean as possible, goes in clean comes out clean.
Worth the money, in my case, I use the garage as my shop too.

Get notified of new replies

To Advice on car bags or "cocoons" -- reduce moisture

Quick Reply: Advice on car bags or "cocoons" -- reduce moisture