C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help with Engine Drop, Will Pay!!! Texas - Magnolia, The Woodlands, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 06:45 PM
Jacob S.
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with Engine Drop, Will Pay!!! Texas - Magnolia, The Woodlands, etc.

Howdy folks.

I will be dropping a small block 400 into my 78 Corvette and am wanting to do it very soon. I, however, need some help and in all honesty don't really know what I'm doing with this part of it...

I've got new mounts, and all the parts I need as far as I know, but I've got a couple options for how much you'd like to help:

1) just drop the engine, mount and stab it, and then I've got a guy that can do the "plumbing" on it but he will cost some serious money and do it slowly.

2) drop, mount, stab and "plumb". I'm not exactly sure how long this should take so maybe y'all could give me an idea? This would obviously pay more, but would be more difficult I assume.

I'm a college kid building this car to drive off in my wedding in January so I'm wanting to get it running ASAP so I can get some practice in it and actually drive it around to places where I can fix the aesthetics, so while I do have SOME money, a classic car mechanic's shop is a little out of my price range.

Anyone in the area that could help? How much would you ask for doing which option?

Thanks guys and gals, always appreciated.

Jacob
Old 10-11-2016, 08:04 PM
blue427
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 102 Posts

If I were you I would check You Tube and get a visual of how to do it,it's not that difficult.Is there an engine in there now? You could also join a Corvette club in your area, I'm sure they could help out.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:09 PM
radiotexas
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Jacob, you might call a high school near you that has an automotive class. Some school districts in the Houston area even have schools dealing exclusively with learning a trade.
Don't know if this is your answer but when you start asking questions, you'll start finding more and more sources to check.
Good Luck,
Mac
Old 10-11-2016, 09:16 PM
Jacob S.
Intermediate

Thanks guys,

To blue427, I've tried youtube and some books and stuff, it still just looks like a mess of wires and hoses to me and no there isn't an engine in now and there wasn't when I bought it, so I have no reference there.

radiotexas, I hadn't thought of that. Are you saying I could give them the car for a little to work on, or go take a class to learn it? The problem with this could be my time frame I would think.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:05 PM
radiotexas
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacob S.
Thanks guys,

To blue427, I've tried youtube and some books and stuff, it still just looks like a mess of wires and hoses to me and no there isn't an engine in now and there wasn't when I bought it, so I have no reference there.

radiotexas, I hadn't thought of that. Are you saying I could give them the car for a little to work on, or go take a class to learn it? The problem with this could be my time frame I would think.
My response was convoluted, sort of like my life. Some schools take in hands-on real-world work for the students, under the instructor's direction. The cost is substantially less than a commercial shop. The down side would be making sure the instructor knows what he, or she, is doing. Again, the instructor might also have some recommendations of someone who could help you.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:17 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

I droped my motor in by myself, no transmission hooked up.. I just used a cherry picker to do it, sometimes you have to kindof go in sideways, taking one front tire off gives you more room. I did not do that, but it dependes on the cherry picker, how long it reaches, take your time, motor had nothing attached to it( water pump alt. etc.) added everything later includung the transmission.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:26 PM
hpxt
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

As another member suggested, contact your local Corvette Club and see if they can help. If you're lucky, might only cost some steaks and beer. If not, maybe a member would be willing to help you for a reduced cost.

I spun bearings in my 78, and rather than rebuild, dropped in a 383 stroker. Took about 3 weeks. No video, but a few pictures for reference.
Mike

Last edited by hpxt; 10-12-2016 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:29 AM
Jacob S.
Intermediate

BUMP-- still looking for help. I've checked some local school programs and have contacted my local corvette club. Gotten so "no"s from some schools and am awaiting a response from the club.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:20 PM
thoyer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 356 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacob S.

drop, mount, stab and "plumb".
What do you mean by "stab"?

My opinion - and it is just that, an opinion - you might want to slow down a bit. Since you have not done this before there is a great opportunity to learn a lot about the car and how the engine installs and is controlled. All those wires and "plumbing" do something. If you take your time and learn about it now, you will be that much further ahead when you have to repair it down the road.

Good luck

Tom
Old 10-13-2016, 12:26 PM
Jacob S.
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thoyer
What do you mean by "stab"?

My opinion - and it is just that, an opinion - you might want to slow down a bit. Since you have not done this before there is a great opportunity to learn a lot about the car and how the engine installs and is controlled. All those wires and "plumbing" do something. If you take your time and learn about it now, you will be that much further ahead when you have to repair it down the road.

Good luck

Tom
Sorry, by "stab" I mean install the transmission basically. I've heard from a couple buddies that can be a really tedious portion of it. I do appreciate your opinion, and I agree with it. The wiring and plumbing portion that I mentioned above that can be done by the mechanic near by said he wouldn't work on it unless I was there (I asked him for this). That way, it's more of him directing me of how to do what and what goes where etc. Just sharpens the learning curve a bit and eliminates most errors I would assume. If I received help from someone on here or another organization, it would be the same way. I wouldn't just sit and watch them work on it I want someone to be there and teach me how to do it.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:33 PM
Jacob S.
Intermediate

What price, to the guys who have dropped an engine and gotten the car running, would you ask to do this sort of task? Just out of curiosity.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:22 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

I have a buddy in LaMarque(between Houston and Galveston who may be able to help you out. I think he quoted another friend $400 to remove and install an engine in a 4X4 Chevy truck. Not that yours would be the same price, but gives you a ballpark idea. Neil at Whitewall Garage (409)795-7932
Old 10-14-2016, 03:31 PM
USAFVeteran
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

When I did my big block, I installed the transmission before the motor went in. Installed the torque converter then installed the engine, almost complete, in the hole and connected to the trans.

I'm recently retired, and have nothing but time on my hands. I'd come help, but I'm in Tucson, AZ, and you're a ways away.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:32 PM
Jacob S.
Intermediate

sorry guys, should have mentioned it. I have a 4 speed. super t-10.

Richard - Thanks for the tip. I'll probably search around here just a little longer to see if I don't have to lug it all around any longer! I appreciate it.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:58 PM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Doing a drivetrain installation is hard work, Jason. Don’t let anyone try to convince you otherwise. It’s like the saying; How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

But, it is just work and it’s not something beyond your ability. There’s almost nothing about the process requiring some high level technical skill. It’s basically nuts and bolts.

First, while the engine is out, identify all the wiring and where it goes and put a label on the wires, then tape them up out of the way. This way, once it’s time to wire everything, you have already identified everything and where it goes. It may seem daunting, but there’s really not that much there. Ignition, starter, alternator, coolant sensor, and other bits specific to your application. Make sure the terminals are in good shape.

For the plumbing, I assume you mean coolant and fuel. Those too are easy (again, one bite at a time). For fuel, if the supply line needs a new hose, it’s easier to replace it with the engine out. This hose will get you to the fuel pump. As to what goes from the fuel pump to the carburetor, well, that depends. While it’s nice to use steel lines all the way, you don’t have to do it that way. It’s not hard to bend up custom lines (assuming you are not using the factory intake/carburetor) if factory steel lines won’t work for your setup, but that’s not one of the bites out of the elephant you need to take. You can use rubber hose as long as it is protected from chafing and heat. Think safety along the way.

As to installing the engine; dress the engine as completely as possible prior to the installation. It’s easier to install the exhaust manifolds on the engine out of the car and the engine will go into the car just as easy with manifolds. Put on the intake (but not the distributor since it will crash into the firewall), the harmonic dampener, pulleys, and the water pump. Have the flywheel, pressure plate and bellhousing installed prior to dropping in the engine. Again, it’s much easier to install these on the engine out of the car. Run the spark plug wires and just tape them to the engine on the distributor side. Before installing the mounts on the engine, make sure they fit on the frame saddles, and if they do, put them on the engine. One technical note; make sure the clutch disc is properly centered by using a disc alignment tool. It will be impossible to install the trans if the disc is out of alignment.

While it would be great if you can find some extra hands to help muscle around the crane and such, you can do the drop by yourself if you move slowly and carefully. You should roughly be at the point where you are ready to install the engine. I don’t know how much leisure time you have, but if it’s only an hour or two a day, then the above shouldn’t have taken more than a week or so. Again, move slowly and carefully when installing the engine. It’s not particularly difficult, but it does take small movements, checking, re-positioning and such. Once the engine is in, you can start doing the rest of the installation (radiator, wiring and the like), or put the transmission in. This should be relatively easy and is somewhat intuitive.

Again, it is hard work, but for the most part, it’s just work. Nothing too technical. And if you really are just not up to it, there are shops that do engine installations and they are not real expensive. You can contact a machine shop in your area for their recommendations for a shop or search for them in your area. They are generally in the poorer parts of town. You don't need to pay for training and experience of a technician when all you need is some competent labor.

Best of luck on the car and your wedding.
The following users liked this post:
Jacob S. (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 06:02 PM
Jacob S.
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gerry72
Doing a drivetrain installation is hard work, Jason....

...........................competent labor.

Best of luck on the car and your wedding.
Wow. Thanks for taking the time on that write up. I really appreciate it.

I'm definitely going to start getting after it on my own and see what I can do, but if you're in the area I'm still searching for knowledgeable help in person!

Thanks everyone,

Jacob

Last edited by Jacob S.; 10-18-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:50 PM
mvftw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Was the Location given?
Old 06-24-2019, 01:53 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,386 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by l82vett
Re-reading your first posting I shall say sorry about the passing of your father. The next thing you state is that your dad left the car to you. Are you the only child? no wife involved? If not you have big problems unless or not even then if there is a will leaving the car to you. As stated in other postings if this car turns out to be a real it is worth a lot of money even in the condition its in. I would guess you know where this s going . Get your paper work in order to protect your interest.
Originally Posted by mvftw
Was the Location given?
thread is 3yrs old, the guy either succeeded or not, got married, has a kid.............

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help with Engine Drop, Will Pay!!! Texas - Magnolia, The Woodlands, etc.

Quick Reply: Need Help with Engine Drop, Will Pay!!! Texas - Magnolia, The Woodlands, etc.